Votes: 23 23.7%
  • no slots

Votes: 74 76.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
for the 30+ years fishing on the river I have seen the same thing over and over, people catching big fish and keeping them. It has gotten better in terms of more people letting them go in the last 10 years. My opinion on letting tribes gill net, now that is a whole new page......

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
The potential increase in cannibalism may be due to a combination of many (large) adultwalleye and few lake cisco. Although walleye are known yellow perch predators (Forney 1980,Lantry et al. 2008), lake cisco can be an important food item for large walleye (Kaufman et al.2009). If walleye in Mille Lacs once preyed heavily on lake cisco (diet data are unavailable totest this hypothesis) but cisco are no longer available, then walleye may have resorted tocannibalism

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.d.umn.edu/biology/documents/Ahrenstorff2_000.pdf

interesting study done on Mille lacs. The study indicates that it isnt a lack of adult (spawning age fish), it is that the new young of the year walleyes are not reaching maturity. Predation from larger fish.

"We found no evidence that either low spawner abundance or high fishing levels wereresponsible for the decline in Mille Lacs walleye."

Attention Snow calling Snow, we need you to clarify misconception on who or what is decimating the walleye population on Mille Lacs.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member

interesting study done on Mille lacs. The study indicates that it isnt a lack of adult (spawning age fish), it is that the new young of the year walleyes are not reaching maturity. Predation from larger fish.

"We found no evidence that either low spawner abundance or high fishing levels wereresponsible for the decline in Mille Lacs walleye."

- - - Updated - - -

4. Low survival from age-1 to fishable ages (High)We found that the survival of age-1, -2, and -3 walleye has been declining since ~2000(especially for age-1 and age-2 walleye), and that this decline is potentially due to cannibalismby larger walleye

#mushkyneedforagetoo

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

4. Low survival from age-1 to fishable ages (High)We found that the survival of age-1, -2, and -3 walleye has been declining since ~2000(especially for age-1 and age-2 walleye), and that this decline is potentially due to cannibalismby larger walleye

That's a whole lot of pages trying to figure out a way to blame it on something other then the natives!

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
so if in fact the forage base is not there why not reintroduce lake cisco's back into the system. What am I missing wouldn't that be something that should have been done already?

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
the nets aint helping, not doubt. Why would there research indicate the low survival of the 0-3 year old fish tho?

for the record i dont care all that much, i dont have a dog in that race. I just stumbled across it as i wanted to try to edumacate myself a bit more.

- - - Updated - - -

so if in fact the forage base is not there why not reintroduce lake cisco's back into the system. What am I missing wouldn't that be something that should have been done already?

good question

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member

Introducing a fish to a lake (reintroduction or not) as forage is a WHOLE different ball game than introducing a fish to be a game fish (i.e. stocking walleyes).

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Living with slots for the last 20 years over here in blue plate land I must say it sucks,its ever changing from year to year on lakes being managed for the natives to gill net,the price we pay to be P.C. when dealing with treaty rights even tho the state has the right to interveine when it comes to wildlife and conservation issues.But as stated above its good to here folks having personel slots in the boats,I did the same for years leading up to slots,20" was max in my boat.

I find these lads in the Erie pic irresponsible for keeping so many egg laydend females for the bragging board,is it legal? sure,but ask yourself is it the right thing to do? Makes me wonder how many other fishermen do the same?.

Back in the early 90's I fished the PWT for many years,lake Erie was a booming walleye fishery folks from the Midwest hardly herd about,the lake boasted 70million walleye strong,best walleye fishery in the country after the zebs cleaned the water up,we were hard pressed to catch keeper walleyes for the pan,rare to catch a walleye under 6lbs.Winning weight in 1992 was 185lbs for the event,15 walleye basket,over a 12lb avg,today this weight is 50% less but still impressive for the average joe.

Erie had some really good spawns in the 80s. Water levels where higher, not as many invasives. Walleye numbers dropped through the late 90s early 2000s with a long run of poor hatches. We had the mega 2003 hatch and then more poor to just average hatches. Last year was the biggest since 2003. Those big females full of eggs are poor spawners, they are simply older and less fertile than those 20-26". The success of the spawn depends more on weather from the spawn through the summer and lake level and less on available spawners. More water means eggs laid on the reefs are better protected from storms washing them off into deeper water. Erie's best spawns occur after winters with long duration ice cover, stable spring weather with an increace in food for fry, etc... The 2003 spawn increased the walleye population to around 100 million from around 25 million.

It is interssting to me that Ohio never hits its walleye quota but the canadian gill netters do. There are more serious threats to the fishery than anglers and the lake managers will respond with tighter restrictions if needed just like they will here. Worry about water levels, prey abundance and ANS. Pray we never see white perch here.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hah, less sewer in the lake is given at least some credit for the downfall of Mille Lacs. yuck...

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

There have been lakes in ND the G&F quit stocking because the larger walleye just gobble up the fingerlings. Which meant the population was at or above it's carrying capacity.

I then showed up and reduced the population below carrying capacity. :;: …well mostly;)

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
This thread is a mirror image of the old deer threads on FBO when everyone thought it would never end. #wakeuppeople

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting article thanks for posting. If that was oahe the first thing I would do is gun for a limit of pike every day I could and I certainly wouldn't guarantee the ones I do release once limited wouldn't have some sort of subtle trauma that might have some impact on their overall life expectancy. They need to look at starting a full scale annual bait fish stocking effort. No way to match a natural bait fish hatch but if you could drop in millions of what ever species that works best in the lake and easiest to mass-produce in a hatchery definitely could help. That is of course is dependent on if the lake hasn't completely collapsed its plankton supply leading to the death of the new bait fish.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
This thread is a mirror image of the old deer threads on FBO when everyone thought it would never end. #wakeuppeople

In our home area we could drive around and see 100-300 deer a night back in the boom years. We shot a bundle every year, but it never put a dent in them. When the blizzards and ice storms came, they disappeared faster than a guy could imagine. When spring came I spoke to many a farmer that just picked up deer carcass after deer carcass with their rock pickers and flipped them in their rock piles. We went from way too many deer to almost no deer in the flip of a switch with hunting pressure being the same. Reported deer strikes per night went from 50+ a week in our county to less than 5 within about a year and a half. That my friend was not hunters or the G&F. That was the almighty mother. I drew a coveted muzzleloader buck tag right at the crash. 2 years before I could have hit my muzzy buck with a slow moving van. I had a hard time seeing more than 2 deer an evening looking in top notch areas after the crash. I know each area is different in the state, but I can tell you for a fact that it wasn't hunters or the G&F that decimated the population in our area.

- - - Updated - - -

#thewholeworldisn'taconspiricythoery

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks abab i know nothing about hunting and fishing and am glad that you could set me straight. I just love lamps.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 230
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 125
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 65
  • This month: 55