Votes: 23 23.7%
  • no slots

Votes: 74 76.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Problem with the biologists is that they work for the tourism dept. U never get to see the data behind the result of say a creel study. Nd is going to promote whatever brings in the $$$$

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Problem with the biologists is that they work for the tourism dept. U never get to see the data behind the result of say a creel study. Nd is going to promote whatever brings in the $$$$

I saw the data, many times. its not complicated, or a secret, and it makes sense.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member

call and ask. i bet they will share whatever info you want

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member

It's public record and subject to open records laws. Request it if you want it.

sdwxman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha. Shorty the resident armchair biologist busted again. :;:muahaha

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can get all of it if you try. Hell most of it is online. How do you think I know that 58.8% of walleyes spawned in ND move to the south dakota side vs 33% of their spawned fish end up on ours or that ND has only 25% of the lake but make up 50% of the walleyes spawned. And if our game and fish were all about out of state hunters and fisherman they wouldn't do all of the things they do. Ask them some time why they don't do goose counts on the river in late season like SD does and see what they say.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ask them some time why they don't do goose counts on the river in late season like SD does and see what they say.

Too busy doing ariel survey's of white-tailed deer. :;:deadhorse

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
There should be a third question to the poll. Who is in favor of slots where the biologists feel there is a high probability they will work or where they are proven to work. That's what I would be in favor of. If MN hadn't used slots on Mille Lacs there would have only been a one month season each year for probably the past twenty years.

Pretty sure the 1st one I ever read had nothing to do with NDGFP. It was back in 05 or 06 when I read it. Like I said earlier it's a long read, but well worth it. Really its all about the numbers, and how little fishermen impact the %. Plus the other factors of forage, and water levels have SO MUCH MORE IMPACT, that in the end, fishermen just don't tip the scales enough to matter.

It was hard for some to believe the earth was round at one point in history too.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Living with slots for the last 20 years over here in blue plate land I must say it sucks,its ever changing from year to year on lakes being managed for the natives to gill net,the price we pay to be P.C. when dealing with treaty rights even tho the state has the right to interveine when it comes to wildlife and conservation issues.But as stated above its good to here folks having personel slots in the boats,I did the same for years leading up to slots,20" was max in my boat.

I find these lads in the Erie pic irresponsible for keeping so many egg laydend females for the bragging board,is it legal? sure,but ask yourself is it the right thing to do? Makes me wonder how many other fishermen do the same?.

Back in the early 90's I fished the PWT for many years,lake Erie was a booming walleye fishery folks from the Midwest hardly herd about,the lake boasted 70million walleye strong,best walleye fishery in the country after the zebs cleaned the water up,we were hard pressed to catch keeper walleyes for the pan,rare to catch a walleye under 6lbs.Winning weight in 1992 was 185lbs for the event,15 walleye basket,over a 12lb avg,today this weight is 50% less but still impressive for the average joe.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Living with slots for the last 20 years over here in blue plate land I must say it sucks,its ever changing from year to year on lakes being managed for the natives to gill net,the price we pay to be P.C. when dealing with treaty rights even tho the state has the right to interveine when it comes to wildlife and conservation issues.But as stated above its good to here folks having personel slots in the boats,I did the same for years leading up to slots,20" was max in my boat.

I find these lads in the Erie pic irresponsible for keeping so many egg laydend females for the bragging board,is it legal? sure,but ask yourself is it the right thing to do? Makes me wonder how many other fishermen do the same?.

Back in the early 90's I fished the PWT for many years,lake Erie was a booming walleye fishery folks from the Midwest hardly herd about,the lake boasted 70million walleye strong,best walleye fishery in the country after the zebs cleaned the water up,we were hard pressed to catch keeper walleyes for the pan,rare to catch a walleye under 6lbs.Winning weight in 1992 was 185lbs for the event,15 walleye basket,over a 12lb avg,today this weight is 50% less but still impressive for the average joe.

Alot when i was there it was amazing at the cleaning station and i just read recent reports it seems erie is as healthy as ever so morals need not be legislated lets stick with sound scientific management.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
amen brotha.

I wonder if my grandfather ever had this type of conversation in all his years of cabin ownership in the Detroit Lakes area. I would venture to say absolutely not.

People today are way to concerned about shit that doesn't really matter. Odd how grandpa and his buddies would keep every fish they caught, and somehow there is still fish in this world.

I wonder how many fish will be left 150 years from now, no wait I don't, cause there will be great god damn plenty just like today, and just like it will be tomorrow, and infinity....haha

#holyshitguyswearegoingtofishitout

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
#####NDlimit
######MNlimit

never before have I accomplished such a feat

but it does give me an idea - hmmmmm....

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.d.umn.edu/biology/documents/Ahrenstorff2_000.pdf

interesting study done on Mille lacs. The study indicates that it isnt a lack of adult (spawning age fish), it is that the new young of the year walleyes are not reaching maturity. Predation from larger fish.

"We found no evidence that either low spawner abundance or high fishing levels wereresponsible for the decline in Mille Lacs walleye."

- - - Updated - - -

4. Low survival from age-1 to fishable ages (High)We found that the survival of age-1, -2, and -3 walleye has been declining since ~2000(especially for age-1 and age-2 walleye), and that this decline is potentially due to cannibalismby larger walleye

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 229
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 125
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 65
  • This month: 55