Votes: 23 23.7%
  • no slots

Votes: 74 76.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I eat quite a bit of walleye, but that right there would be way more fish than I could consume in several years. Holy Scale Breakers Batman!!!!

14 guys though so not as bad in that context. Quite a fish board pic. I find it interesting that biologists on Erie maintain that spawning success is influenced more by weather and lake level than by numbers of spawning fish and it makes sense. Not directing that at you KDM, just yapping.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The NDGF allows all fish to be kept year around to attract out of state fisherman to make money. That is the only reason they have brainwashed people that it is ok to keep everything in our large bodies of water. I used to release alot more fish until i read all of this garbage years ago. Nobody cares about the next generation anymore. Its all me me me.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
??? Don't me dig out my #1 armchair biologist job. Ok

1. Fact 1. Nd is stocking sak like no tommorow. If u read my take on this in the so called no forage days which equaled more forage then a walleye can eat. Hence no slot required

.2. Sd has a slot. Not sure if it works but we bend over the sodaks every other river fish we catch out of the big mo. Fk sd let's let keeps every gd thing

3. Dl is being raped and pillaged by every sota sconi and ahab known to man. They started stocking the east side which is probably be needed as the numbers decrease. The water is dropping. Is a slot going to help. Idk but the numbers need to watche d closely. Spawning helped this lake as the water drops who knows. If any of the big 3 needs a slot it's dl

4. The little lakes they need to be managed. Slots r in plac we already
You haven't read the tagging study yet have you! We send far more fish into SD then they send to us 59% vs 33% split.. Sak is getting stocked because it does not do as well as oahe does on producing it's own fish. Lower oahe has the same problem thus why sodak has stocked down by the dam far more recently. Hell the cannonball river and beaver creek along with Moreau river in SD make up a as the biologist put it a disproportionately large part of the whole lakes walleye population. We split the number of fish produced in each state nearly 50/50 but over half of ours go south.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah that's quite the pic, but if I read and understood the previous information, 300 fish divided by 14 is 21 fish and with and 8 lb average assuming 4 lbs of meat per fish is over 80 lbs of meat. I'd have to still work pretty hard to eat that much in two years if I had fish once a week. As far as your other statement, those are the facts as we know them now. No need to worry about me.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The guy on the right is Ben he tests concrete I work with him a bunch. I had pictures sent to me from another guy with them and wow. 300 walleyes 8 pounder average with 30 fish getting mounted. A bunch of 13 s 5 days of nice weather on erie is magical.
Is this the guy your talking about or was there two bens?

IMG_20160327_225833.jpg

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah that is quite the pile o fillets, sounds like some big fish fries are coming. How many muddin' trips would that be?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are there laws against catching keeping, and then cleaning and eating walleye? Or is it that some of you guys want laws against it?
I am hoping you more laws and rules guys enjoy hillary, and her ilk. Cause its just fish, and we NDrs catch and eat em, cause you give a man a fish you feed him for a day you teach a man to fish and he turns into a political douche who suddenness laws and rules to fish...
#slotlimitsaregayandlawshurtnoncriminals

You win, YOU WIN! You win the thread. And the website.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walleye angler attrition on the river south of Bismarck per spring is probably on par with northern consumption by day for the whole lake. Northern are the real problem ppl and us angler gotta get out there and get um for every nose in the air slot preaching walleye angler would go and keep a few pike for fertilizer or pickling you'd make a bigger difference then a slot. Slot limits maybe 25"-29" to protect a trophy class of fish.
#keepyour5pike&yourslotlimit

https://gfp.sd.gov/fishing-boating/tacklebox/lake-maps/docs/oahe-survey.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Oahe
14997026_10210214050963652_51185097_n.jpg

lol...see my "pike" album. Just about every big pike I clean in the summer and fall has 8-15" walleye and saugers in their belly. I still havn't found a goldeye or a cisco. the walleye must be easier to catch or occupy the same sections of water as the pike.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is this the guy your talking about or was there two bens?

image.jpg

Must be two Ben's the guy I was talking about is wearing shorts in the pic

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah that's quite the pic, but if I read and understood the previous information, 300 fish divided by 14 is 21 fish and with and 8 lb average assuming 4 lbs of meat per fish is over 80 lbs of meat. I'd have to still work pretty hard to eat that much in two years if I had fish once a week. As far as your other statement, those are the facts as we know them now. No need to worry about me.

I don't know that they kept all of those fish those were just the stats I got. I will find out if they kept all those but knowing the guys I doubt it.

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
I eat quite a bit of walleye, but that right there would be way more fish than I could consume in several years. Holy Scale Breakers Batman!!!!
I thought big eyes were no good for eating...... Small ones are good eaters and big ones taste fishy..... Ha a fish that tastes fishy imagine that

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Must be two Ben's the guy I was talking about is wearing shorts in the pic

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know that they kept all of those fish those were just the stats I got. I will find out if they kept all those but knowing the guys I doubt it.

I wondered if they did keep them all, good either way.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
We were out today trying to eliminate the walleyes from the Missouri River river system. Didn't quite get it done but did throw one big fat female (25 inches plus) back. Two of us were OK with that, the third would have kept it. End of story. No name calling or bad reps.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought big eyes were no good for eating...... Small ones are good eaters and big ones taste fishy..... Ha a fish that tastes fishy imagine that

A walleye that actually has some flavor. Nothing a little triming would not fix. We cleaned our fair share of 25 to 30"+ from Erie and never had a bad meal

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tagging studies show conclusively that there is only about a 30-50% chance that my released fish will ever be caught again.
you'll have to show me that study, because all the tagging info I've seen from walleyes to hammerhead sharks is between 1 and 20%, and a recatch after that, the percentage falls to almost nothing. I thought the ND walleye tagging % caught & reported was somewhere around 13%

Sorry, I couldn't remember the exact percentages from the ndgf work in the past, I thought it was in the 20% range and rounded up a lot to avert the BS flags from flying in via the other side of the field as 1-20% is even a hell of a lot worse for recatch.

Bottom line though, every time someone posts a pic of 25+ inch walleye that they are holding by the gills with the caption of "caught and released this beauty today" draws a chuckle from me. Fisheries guys have long said that fish is likely to die from internal injuries after being held up like that.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would enjoy a "Share a Lunker" program which TX maintains for LM mixed with a few Winnipeg greenies for genetic augmentation. I don't recommend a Q-Tip for male hygiene.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tagging studies show conclusively that there is only about a 30-50% chance that my released fish will ever be caught again.

Sorry, I couldn't remember the exact percentages from the ndgf work in the past, I thought it was in the 20% range and rounded up a lot to avert the BS flags from flying in via the other side of the field as 1-20% is even a hell of a lot worse for recatch.

Bottom line though, every time someone posts a pic of 25+ inch walleye that they are holding by the gills with the caption of "caught and released this beauty today" draws a chuckle from me. Fisheries guys have long said that fish is likely to die from internal injuries after being held up like that.
Or even better when they hold them by the eyeballs or take a dozen photos on a cold day and freeze the outer membrane of the eyes. You take a person and lift them by the head and their spine is not going to appreciate it and our spine is ment to be in the vertical vs horizontal for fish.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh I love this many many of the people calling the snow goose thread babies and winers are bad re pointing here? Haha I guess we all have shit that grinds our gears. Carry on...........

i love ove taking home limits of 22-26" fat spring walleys daily

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always found that those who push slots the most are almost always the same guys who either catch or are responsible for catching way more fish than anyone else. They're the same people that have their walls already covered with their trophies. But give the average John Doe fisherman who only makes it out a few times the opportunity to catch some bigger fish and then actually let them keep them just drives these people crazy. The fact that because of them hundreds or thousands of fish are taken out of the lake means nothing because today that damn shore fisherman kept two big females and he's taking them home to actually eat. And because of that now they or their friends can't catch them in their boat and post a pic on Facebook to brag about how great of a fisherman and conservationist they are because they released those two out of the hundreds or thousand they kept.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
There should be a third question to the poll. Who is in favor of slots where the biologists feel there is a high probability they will work or where they are proven to work. That's what I would be in favor of. If MN hadn't used slots on Mille Lacs there would have only been a one month season each year for probably the past twenty years.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 222
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 65
  • This month: 55