Votes: 23 23.7%
  • no slots

Votes: 74 76.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well thanks im sure i will continue to struggle with fishing and need more advice from the master.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's public record and subject to open records laws. Request it if you want it.

Why dont you do us all a favor and request the number of fishing guides that are operating in the state. Please ask to have the state of residence filtered out by application. Also please ask how many guides are operating under each application. I am a betting man and am betting that information will not be all that easy to obtain.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why dont you do us all a favor and request the number of fishing guides that are operating in the state. Please ask to have the state of residence filtered out by application. Also please ask how many guides are operating under each application. I am a betting man and am betting that information will not be all that easy to obtain.

First off, you're wrong about guides operating under other guides applications. Each guide has to have their own license. They can work together, but each guide has their own license. When it comes to hunting it's a bit different due to a couple hunting businesses with connections pushing through an apprentice program to control the competition so new guides have to work under someone first. Not sure if you'll get the residence info though. That could be considered protected personal information. But all you have to do is call the G&F and ask.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
In, but I can tell you for a fact that it wasn't hunters or the G&F that decimated the population in our area.

- - - Updated - - -

Then why not open it all up no seasons, no quotas

Conservation works and it works in a lakes too. Good example is in a favorite little mn lake that I grew up on. Bass were my thing, but big walleye were in the system and jumbo perch on an offshoot lake. The locals decimated the lake after they rebuilt the access. 8-15 rigs in the lot every weekend and they kept everything. My parents sold the place - I had a chance to go back a few years back- DNR had regulations on everything even sunfish. I most recently went back and it was like the glory days again. I wont mention the lake. Lida is another example -- do you think if they didn't have that 11 inch limit on crappie that anybody would be back in bass harbor in the spring - f no - they would prifrage every crappie out of that bay if they had a chance. Lida also did a slot and boom the walleyes are back. Do we need a slot where were dumping in 4million walleye fingerlings a year -- probably not. Do we need a 14inch min on Ashtray and Jamestown - Yes otherwise they would keep the 10inchers that just got stocked the year before. The last lake I seen you at Ahab last fall -- do we need a slot ---probably not - 700k walleyes being stocked into that lake annually --- that is a Sht load and they are not stunting themselves at that rate; is it over kill probably is it putting fish in the boat yes- by the looks of it this winter a bigger yes.

my .02

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
So a guide cant hire someone to drill holes for them and scout the lake?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do we need a slot where were dumping in 4million walleye fingerlings a year -- probably not. Do we need a 14inch min on Ashtray and Jamestown - Yes otherwise they would keep the 10inchers that just got stocked the year before.

This is a pretty big brush you're using here Shorthairs. I was at the ashtray last night with about 12 other "Rock Hoppers" and we all caught walleyes under 14 inches and WITHOUT exception, ALL those fish were released. Only 2 walleyes were kept all afternoon and evening and they were both about 17 inches. Of the "Rock Hoppers" I know and fish with quite a bit, NONE of us keep those small fish. I guess you could call it a self imposed 15 inch minimum length. I've watched hundreds of small walleyes get put back this spring as well as most fish over 22 inches. Of the ones that were kept, NOBODY said boo about it and in fact were congratulatory to the lucky fisherman. I can't speak for everyone that wets a line in Ashtabula, but the guys I see, restrict themselves pretty well in the name of conservation.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
In, but I can tell you for a fact that it wasn't hunters or the G&F that decimated the population in our area.

- - - Updated - - -

Then why not open it all up no seasons, no quotas

Conservation works and it works in a lakes too. Good example is in a favorite little mn lake that I grew up on. Bass were my thing, but big walleye were in the system and jumbo perch on an offshoot lake. The locals decimated the lake after they rebuilt the access. 8-15 rigs in the lot every weekend and they kept everything. My parents sold the place - I had a chance to go back a few years back- DNR had regulations on everything even sunfish. I most recently went back and it was like the glory days again. I wont mention the lake. Lida is another example -- do you think if they didn't have that 11 inch limit on crappie that anybody would be back in bass harbor in the spring - f no - they would prifrage every crappie out of that bay if they had a chance. Lida also did a slot and boom the walleyes are back. Do we need a slot where were dumping in 4million walleye fingerlings a year -- probably not. Do we need a 14inch min on Ashtray and Jamestown - Yes otherwise they would keep the 10inchers that just got stocked the year before. The last lake I seen you at Ahab last fall -- do we need a slot ---probably not - 700k walleyes being stocked into that lake annually --- that is a Sht load and they are not stunting themselves at that rate; is it over kill probably is it putting fish in the boat yes- by the looks of it this winter a bigger yes.

my .02

Hold on there big fella. I am just speaking in my hometown area. Other parts of the state could be and are way different. The ice storms we had froze the ground so bad the poor things couldn't eat. Mother nature crushed the giant population we had in a short order. IF we knew that was coming they could have just as well had a free for all because most of the population that wasn't harvested wasted away for the scavengers. 90 miles away where the ice storms missed, the deer were and still are in very good shape. Our local population is just starting to show life again.

- - - Updated - - -

Many complained of too many deer for about 3 years prior to this event. Then they went ape sh** crazy they weren't any left afterwards.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well the weather looks like it might be okay this weekend, both neighbors on either side of me had the boats out of storage yesterday getting them geared up and ready.
So it looks like, counting me the mighty Missouri will have at least 3 more boats full of pillagers keeping a limit of fat females. Please forgive us guys who only fish the river a couple times in the spring for keeping some fish for the freezer...haha

#eatemupboysthatswhygodmadethem

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
So a guide cant hire someone to drill holes for them and scout the lake?
Technically yes if they're not a license guide that would be illegal if the law is still the same as when I was an outfitter. A person taking any form of compensation for aiding in the hunting or fishing of another person needs to be a licensed guide. This of course leaves a huge gray area that most all guys fall into at one point or another but haven't heard of the game and fish getting to nit picky on it so it doesn't come up much.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well the weather looks like it might be okay this weekend, both neighbors on either side of me had the boats out of storage yesterday getting them geared up and ready.
So it looks like, counting me the mighty Missouri will have at least 3 more boats full of pillagers keeping a limit of fat females. Please forgive us guys who only fish the river a couple times in the spring for keeping some fish for the freezer...haha

Damnit juanr, can't you go fish camels hump or Patterson or something. These are OUR fish! ;:;boohoo

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want it, go ahead little buddy.

Well since it is so easy to retrieve public information from the NDGF i thought you would have easily provided us all with a link to guide us to the information. the reality is getting information like this isnt all that easy. You would have to call the NDGF and have them either agree to send you hardcopy reports or email them to you. An email or sent item would be classified as "official" documentation.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member

I'll be out in fancy feast. Give me a call or follow the busch light signal.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well since it is so easy to retrieve public information from the NDGF i thought you would have easily provided us all with a link to guide us to the information. the reality is getting information like this isnt all that easy. You would have to call the NDGF and have them either agree to send you hardcopy reports or email them to you. An email or sent item would be classified as "official" documentation.

Didn't realize emails are hard for you. Not my fault they don't provide a link and I'm not sure why they don't. Probably because it costs money to maintain an internet database. If you really want, I'll retrieve the info for you but I think if you really wanted it, you would have done it yourself already. As long as we are talking, can you answer the questions I asked of you a few pages back? Or is this starting to border on arguing with you?

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.inforum.com/sports/3824531-north-dakota-nets-record-high-fishing-license-sales

I laugh when people talk about what happened 25 years ago or even 10 years ago from a fishing standpoint in ND. The fishing in this state has attracted people from allover the country to fish recreationally and to provide guiding services in record numbers in recent years. The amount of money being generated by the fishing is astronomical. I pasted the article above that talks about the popularity of fishing in ND. I really do not want to have a bunch of rules to follow with fishing, but I encourage you all that think the fishing in this state is not affected by pressure to read the article. Just think of the number of fish being taken with the number of licenses being sold.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn't realize emails are hard for you. Not my fault they don't provide a link and I'm not sure why they don't. Probably because it costs money to maintain an internet database. If you really want, I'll retrieve the info for you but I think if you really wanted it, you would have done it yourself already. As long as we are talking, can you answer the questions I asked of you a few pages back? Or is this starting to border on arguing with you?

ghost are you meelosh?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 230
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66