Votes: 23 23.7%
  • no slots

Votes: 74 76.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well guys,this thread is all over the board from slots to deer hunting,still a good read...

For the record Wags,after the down fall of walleyes in upper red lake due to over fishing and commercial fishing by the red lake nation in the not so distant past our dnr fails to recognize or acknowledge this fiasco all started (like red lake) in 1999 when the netting started,reguardless of the article you pasted these folks are afraid to label the collapse of mille lacs from gill netting because the natives will pull the race card and sue the state,we're at a 40 year low in the walleye population and this all started in 1999,peeling spawning walleyes from the spawning grounds by the ton and no one is held accountable,and if the young of the year can't spawn for whatever reason its not just because the slots make it so,we understand it doesn't help but the natives are taking everything they can,not just the small walleyes which is about whats left,it doesn't take a 4 year degree to see whats happening here.

Bottom line our dnr is regulating the lake for the 8 tribes netting the lake,our tax paying,license buying public is taking it in the ass,and the forage issue? the lake is loaded with young perch,smallmouth bass and pike fry as well as numerous species of minnows.

PS~ I'm as native as these folks netting the lake as were my parents and grand parents,in these modern times we all need to be on the same page with the same regulations and law and have the feds stop with fueling these soverign nations with our tax dollars.

Sorry for the rant guyz,mille lacs is in my backyard,we had a chance to save the lake but watched history repeat itself once again.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well guys,this thread is all over the board from slots to deer hunting,still a good read...

For the record Wags,after the down fall of walleyes in upper red lake due to over fishing and commercial fishing by the red lake nation in the not so distant past our dnr fails to recognize or acknowledge this fiasco all started (like red lake) in 1999 when the netting started,reguardless of the article you pasted these folks are afraid to label the collapse of mille lacs from gill netting because the natives will pull the race card and sue the state,we're at a 40 year low in the walleye population and this all started in 1999,peeling spawning walleyes from the spawning grounds by the ton and no one is held accountable,and if the young of the year can't spawn for whatever reason its not just because the slots make it so,we understand it doesn't help but the natives are taking everything they can,not just the small walleyes which is about whats left,it doesn't take a 4 year degree to see whats happening here.

Bottom line our dnr is regulating the lake for the 8 tribes netting the lake,our tax paying,license buying public is taking it in the ass,and the forage issue? the lake is loaded with young perch,smallmouth bass and pike fry as well as numerous species of minnows.

PS~ I'm as native as these folks netting the lake as were my parents and grand parents,in these modern times we all need to be on the same page with the same regulations and law and have the feds stop with fueling these soverign nations with our tax dollars.

Sorry for the rant guyz,mille lacs is in my backyard,we had a chance to save the lake but watched history repeat itself once again.

so the dnr flat out lied in their report? Heads should roll if thats the case, but what would they have to gain by doing so? Would the indians actually take it to court if the dnr told them they couldnt net for 2 years? What a screwy situation

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
snow, you use to do the pwt did you camp up at pickcity by any chance, if so I know you. If it is you, you gave me powerbaits when they first were showing up. gill netting = no fish. If gill netting continues the dnr need to step up replacement there is no option to this or gill netting ends period. River, I got to say this because of the comment you made. if it makes you feel better taking all the big girls do it. lord knows you have nothing to prove here (seen the pics) I feel guilty when I do. Kind of like shooting a Doe that on the verge of fawning.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've eaten 3 bags of popcorn reading this thread....more cowbells, please...

Hahaha I just caught up on the plethora of pages I missed. I don't really have a dog in this fight as I do not fish often in the spring as I am chasing the white devils. for myself personally I don't keep fish over 22" anywhere I go. I prefer the 14-15" fish as the wife loves fish tacos and smaller fillets are my choice. ....well and I suck at fishing and rarely get big fish. I will rape and pillage 14-15" all day long though.:;:cheers

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
definitely, and for pan frying a whole giant fillet with that saltine coat after a honey egg wash recipe you gave me. EFF ME is that ever good.

Please share the honey egg wash recipe, I apparently missed it the first go around.
thanks in advance

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_4188.jpg
double the amount of honey. The bigger/thicker fillets are better imo anyway. Guy sent this to me last summer and it is my favorite now. Serve with butter mashed potatoes and a green of some sort.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
ha ha ha

oh man... that recipe is so Lindner old school it's not even funny

17"-18" whole filet is perfect - some parts all crispy... other parts thick/tender/juicy/flaky - like various parts of a chicken

I just salivated

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
tumblr_o7uatzsr2u1u8sl05o1_540.jpg

double the amount of honey. The bigger/thicker fillets are better imo anyway. Guy sent this to me last summer and it is my favorite now. Serve with butter mashed potatoes and a green of some sort.

This only works for Walleye bigger than 22"

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
ha ha ha

oh man... that recipe is so Lindner old school it's not even funny

17"-18" whole filet is perfect - some parts all crispy... other parts thick/tender/juicy/flaky - like various parts of a chicken

I just salivated

im gonna make it tonight. i have to now

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=1]Does Devils Lake Need Walleye Length Limits?[/h] May 2015 Number 9 Volume LXXVII

Article By
Todd Caspers and Randy Hiltner

dl-header.jpg

Walleye anglers care about the resource and often express concern when they believe their peers are keeping too many small or big fish.
These anglers often think a length limit will solve the problem, and sometimes they are correct. Length limits, if applied appropriately, can help improve or protect a fishery.
However, a length limit can harm the population it’s meant to help, and also needlessly restrict angler opportunities, if the regulation is inappropriate for the fishery.
We frequently get questions about Devils Lake, one of the region’s top walleye fisheries, related to whether a length limit would protect its walleye population?
dl-1.jpg

Minimum length limits are likely to benefit fisheries that meet all of the following:

• Low reproductive or stocking success.
  • Good growth.
  • Low natural mortality.
  • High angling mortality (fish dying from harvest or after release).

Maximum length limits (one fish longer than 20 inches, for example) are likely to benefit fisheries that meet all of the following criteria:

• Reproduction is limited by the number of adult fish.
  • High angling mortality of large fish.
Harvest slot length limits must meet all of the requirements for a minimum length limit and a maximum length limit, since they are basically a combination of the two.
Protected slot length limits are likely to benefit fisheries that meet all of the following criteria:

• Good natural reproduction.
  • Slow growth, especially for small fish.
  • High natural mortality of small fish.
  • High angling effort.
Does the Devils Lake walleye population meet the criteria for any of these length limits? Let’s investigate.
Minimum Length Limit
Currently, the Devils Lake walleye population does not meet many of the criteria necessary to benefit from a minimum length limit.
In 2008, walleye growth was similar to the North American average, but in 2014, growth was slower. The population has produced young fish consistently in recent years, and tagging studies and walleye aging data show that total mortality (natural and fishing mortality combined) is on the lower end of typical mortality rates in North America.
Additionally, with high numbers of 10- to 15-inch walleye in the lake, a minimum length limit would needlessly restrict harvest opportunities for anglers, and could further decrease growth due to increased competition if some fish were protected by a minimum size limit.
Maximum Length Limit and One-over Limits
Today, Devils Lake’s walleye population does not meet any of the criteria necessary to see a benefit of a maximum length limit.
Large walleye hatches of late indicate that current regulations are maintaining sufficient numbers of adults in the lake. Three of the four largest hatches, in fact, have been produced since 2008. While the percentage of adults longer than 15 inches in 2012 was relatively low at 24 percent, the second largest walleye hatch ever was recorded, indicating there are ample adults in the lake to produce a good hatch if conditions are favorable.
dl-2.jpg
Recent creel surveys show that Devils Lake receives more than 1 million angler hours annually, which, considering the size of the big lake is only about seven angler hours per acre.

A one-over 20-inch limit would probably not have much impact, as few anglers harvest more than one large walleye per fishing trip. Moreover, creel surveys showed that less than 6 percent of walleye harvested were 20 inches or longer in 2007-08 and about 3 percent in 2013-14.
Anglers who fish during the spring spawning run in certain portions of the lake (upper basin coulees and current areas near bridges) tend to catch bigger fish. A 2010 creel survey during this time showed that 18.9 percent of harvested walleye were 20 inches or longer.
However, this percentage still equates to less than one in five fish (with the daily bag limit being five fish) 20 inches or longer, so most spring anglers probably do not harvest more than one walleye this size per trip. Therefore, a one fish over 20-inch limit would likely not prevent the harvest of many large fish, even during spawning when anglers are most likely to harvest larger fish. Even so, we will continue to use creel survey data to evaluate the effectiveness of a one-over 20-inch limit.

Additionally, recent walleye population modeling on Devils Lake by Jason Breggemann, as part of his doctorate research for South Dakota State University, indicates that a one-over 20-inch limit would do nothing to improve the size structure of the walleye population as a whole. This is because a one-over 20-inch limit will not increase the number of walleye that survive to attain 20 inches, and fish saved by such a regulation will not stockpile due to natural mortality.
Even if a regulation prohibited harvest of all walleye longer than 20 inches, only about 10,000 fish would have escaped harvest during the 2007 and 2008 seasons.
While this sounds like a lot of fish, recent tagging studies in North Dakota have demonstrated that relatively few released walleye will be caught again.
In Lake Audubon, for example, only 19 percent of tagged walleye that were caught and released were caught again. The percentage of tagged walleye released and caught again was only 9 percent in Devils Lake. Even if we assume a high recapture rate of 20 percent, then about 2,014 of the “saved” walleye would be caught again. The total angling effort in 2007-08 was more than 1 million hours, so the expectation is that one of the “saved” walleye might be caught again for every 508 hours of fishing effort. The average fishing trip is typically about five hours, so it would take an angler about 101 fishing trips to catch one additional walleye of 20 inches or longer.
Repeating these calculations using data from the 2013-14 creel survey (12,687 saved fish and about 1.3 million hours of angler effort) would result in an angler catching an additional walleye of 20 inches or longer about once in 105 fishing trips.
These small gains in catches of large walleye are not worth restricting angler opportunity to harvest large fish. Additionally, many anglers who fish Devils Lake do not necessarily want more large walleyes. The 2013-14 creel survey showed that about 83 percent of anglers said that they would rather keep five 15-inch walleyes than two 20-inch fish.
Since the Devils Lake walleye population does not meet the criteria for either a minimum or a maximum length limit, a harvest slot limit would not be appropriate or effective.
Currently, the Devils Lake walleye population meets some of the criteria necessary to see benefits from a protected slot length limit.
Reproduction has been good in recent years. The walleye hatch has exceeded the long-term average in five of the past eight years, and the two largest hatches were produced in the past six years.
Fish in 2008 were growing at roughly the same rate as the North American average, but growth has since slowed. Despite a slowed growth rate, stunting of small walleye is not a problem today, it’s just that fish are growing at a slower pace.
Another criterion needed for a successful slot limit is high angling effort. Past creel surveys indicate that Devils Lake receives more than 1 million angler hours annually, or over 10 hours per acre in 2007-08, which is relatively high for a large lake.
However, the 2013-14 creel survey still showed more that 1 million hours of angler effort, but due to the larger size of the lake, there were about seven hours of angler effort per acre.
One of the criteria for a successful slot length limit is that small fish have high natural mortality. It appears that mortality rates among younger walleye could be higher than for the entire population, but these possibly higher rates are still on the lower end of the normal range for populations across North America.
Also, Devils Lake has produced good numbers of 15- to 20-inch walleye recently without any length limits. This indicates that fish can grow into the 15- to 20-inch range without any length limits.
For example, test netting showed that numbers of 15- to 20-inch walleye were very high from 2006 to 2010 before dropping back to more typical levels. A portion of the decline in fish this size is likely due to the rarity of 9- to 11-year-old fish (due to weak hatches from 2003-05) and also to possible emigration to connected waters.
dl-3.jpg
As one of the best walleye lakes in the region, biologists often get questions about whether a length limit would be appropriate on Devils Lake.

Numbers of 15- to 20-inch walleye should begin to increase in the next few years as fish from the abundant 2009 year-class continue to grow.
From a biological standpoint, the Devils Lake walleye population does not need a slot length limit right now. However, recent walleye population modeling did indicate that a slot length limit could potentially produce more large walleye in the lake.
For example, a protected slot limit of 16-20 inches could result in about 5-10 percent more adult walleyes that are 20 inches or longer. A protected slot limit of 18-22 inches could result in about a 3-5 percent increase.

However, as with most things in life, there is no “free lunch.” In the case of the 16- to 20-inch slot limit, the down-side is no harvest of those 16- to- 20-inch fish, which are highly desirable fish for anglers. During the 2013-14 creel survey, about 14.5 percent of walleye harvested were between 16-20 inches, and 5.5 percent between 18-22 inches. These are significant amounts of harvest for anglers to give up.
For example, walleyes of that size were more abundant in Devils Lake in 2007-08 and the creel survey that year found that about 41.5 percent of walleye harvested were between 16-20 inches, and 19 percent between 18-22 inches. Also, as mentioned before, the 2013-14 creel survey indicated that about 83 percent of Devils Lake anglers prefer to harvest a greater number of medium-sized walleye as opposed to fewer, larger fish.
In effect, using a protected slot limit just to slightly improve the number of large walleye would be forcing anglers to give up a larger number of fish they want, in order to produce a smaller number of fish that most people don’t want as much.
With more large walleye in the lake because of a slot limit, there is another “lunch” to consider.
Smaller walleye seem to be perfectly happy eating scuds, but larger fish typically want a bigger and better “lunch.” If the number of larger walleye were to increase, this could impact recruitment of walleye and other fish such as yellow perch because of increased predation.
The current walleye population is closest to meeting the criteria for a slot length limit. However, the mortality criterion is not being met, and others such as growth and fishing effort are questionable.
A slot length limit could become a valid management strategy for Devils Lake walleye in the future, especially if growth continues to slow and natural mortality increases. However, current conditions do not warrant putting a slot length limit in place as modeling indicates that anglers would have to give up a large amount of harvest to produce a relatively small increase in the number of larger fish. Additionally, a slot limit would have negative impacts to other areas of the fishery.
We have seen that the current walleye population is not really suited to any of the length limits. However, the North Dakota Game and Fish Department will continue to monitor the fishery, and if conditions change will likely implement whatever regulation is deemed necessary to protect this valuable resource.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
odd... the big pigs are actually our go-to for tacos

interesting

I prefer the larger fillets as they flake so nice. Before FBO i released all wallys over 3.5 to 4 lbs. after reading the erroneous beliefs on FBO i decided i may as well keep all fish up to 5 since nobody cares anyway. Now after seeing the side effects of Group Think on NDA i will now keep all walleyes that I catch... No releasing. My next 7 lber is getting cut up. I will need to make sure to have new 9 inch blades for my electric so that i can get through those tough bones on the bigger fish.

- - - Updated - - -

Allen those creel surveys are few and far between and everyone knows it. You sir are a fool to think otherwise.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer the larger fillets as they flake so nice. Before FBO i released all wallys over 3.5 to 4 lbs. after reading the erroneous beliefs on FBO i decided i may as well keep all fish up to 5 since nobody cares anyway. Now after seeing the side effects of Group Think on NDA i will now keep all walleyes that I catch... No releasing. My next 7 lber is getting cut up. I will need to make sure to have new 9 inch blades for my electric so that i can get through those tough bones on the bigger fish.

- - - Updated - - -

Allen those creel surveys are few and far between and everyone knows it. You sir are a fool to think otherwise.

You want a slot in place for everyone but yourself

- - - Updated - - -

you take more 3-4lb fish in a month than most take in 2 years.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

I did it looks like we have went from 177 managed fishing waters to 420 managed fishing water since the wet cycle began. Fishing got better and they sold more licenses. BTW,I don't like the rush of non-residents any more than you. The local economy does, but not the average local not benefiting from it. Maybe the article is telling you to become a guide? If you can't beat them join them?

- - - Updated - - -

The locals up at Lake Winnipeg hate the "Yankees"

YATYAS

Founding Member
Founding Member

Funny you mention 1999. That was actually the 3rd year of netting. But that is a significant date because the tribes actually took less than what they were allocated and the state allocation was exceed by about 90,000 lbs. According to the MN DNR the tribes came in under their quota between 1997 and 2010. State allocations were exceeded in 1997, 1998, 1999, and 2002.
Those 4 years exceeded the state's quota by 380,000 lbs. 1998 was exceeded by non-native fisherman by over 150,000 lbs alone (the allocated amount was 220,000lbs) but that probably didn't hurt anything, it was those pesky Natives. Never mind that from when the netting started and your worst year, the tribes only took 230,000 lbs total. Between 1997 and 2010 the tribes took 928,000 lbs total (not exceeding their quota once). Your worst fishing year was 2003. Up to that point the tribes took around 10% of the total fishing quota. Yes, even the wanton waste is calculated into the quota.

I think what happened at Red Lake is much different than ML. RL was constant netting pressure. From what I gather ML is netted for a short period with more regulation. But anyway, I don't think it matters when a fish is taken; a female taken in August can't spawn in the spring. This holds more value given the fact that there are safe harvest quotas. Not apples to apples.

Your defense is going to be that the DNR is lying but I doubt it. The margin of error for calculating the harvest amounts is probably much larger for the state angler side because the length of time and people fishing is much larger (accounting for 75% of the total harvest). So in reality non native fisherman probably do more damage. I think you are just pissed because you can't have 100%. Lucky for you the tribes started netting and you have a scapegoat. Of course this is assuming that the walleye collapse is caused by over fishing. Which I am sure it is not.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 230
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66