Winchester SX3/ Shotgun sale?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update:

Winchester is running a factory rebate program on guns purchased between 8/1 and 9/30 so I get $75 back on the purchase of an SX3. I picked up a brand new 28/12/3.5 for $790 all said and done. It can be had for a little less but I paid the extra $25-50 to have it in time for the waterfowl opener. I'm still $3-400 less than what Scheels wanted.

The SX3 appears to be a mechanically robust but economically produced Belgian shotgun. They didn't cut corners were it mattered most: the chrome lined barrel, raised sight rib, FAL style bolt carrier group, simple and efficient gas system. The utilitarian design lacks the niceties an extra $500-800 will get you with some other European auto loaders: lousy trigger (out of the box), cheap (but robust) plast furniture, parkerized bolt and carrier, bland styling, 3 chokes.

For the price, I couldn't pass it up. I did stick with 3.5" chamber for resale in case I end up disliking the gun. Having a 3.5" chamber on this gun easily doubles potential buyers. Despite playing Devil's Advocate, I concede to SDMF and Guy that there's really no need for a 3.5" chamber other than resale.

Thank you SDMF and Guy for putting up with me over the summer and entertaining my inexperience. I'm still a crappy shot gunner but I'm better than I've been. Shot the piss out of a bunch of doves last weekend with my boy and really helped establish his desire to shoot and hunt "like dad". (Think I owe 'You' a pig for putting us on birds.) I'll let you know how the SX3 works out.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
For what it's worth, I got out for couple rounds of skeet with the SX3 this morning. Very windy, modified choke, 1 oz 6 shot (kept it a little closer to what I'll be hunting with). Shot a first round 14, then 11 in doubles. I suck at skeet (there are witnesses) so it was nice I was able to come out and shoot par with a brand new gun. Ran great, we'll see how it does after a few hundred rounds, dirt, moisture, and no cleaning.

round count: 50

- - - Updated - - -

Couple more things about the design:

The stock is kind of small (not short). I like the reduced bulk, but find my hand working its way back, stretching for the trigger.

Mechanically, the gun is more or less a 12ga, tube-fed FN FAL. Hell of a battle rifle, hope I can expect the same from their scattergun.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha Huron sd, as it turns out. It is a pretty cool place, roosters as far as the eye can see

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
An observation I haven't mentioned about my SX3: the bolt and carrier are parkerized. I've seen and handled SX3 shotguns with either black or chrome (nickel?) bolts. Based on what I'd read, when I ordered this shotgun I expected a black bolt. Not that a parkerized bolt won't work, but it's not quite as "weatherproof" or wear resistant as the advertised finishes. I contacted the Winchester parts department and Joe said based on my model and serial number I should have a black bolt. Has anyone else encountered an SX3 with a parkerized bolt?

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd raise hell or polish:) and forget. Can you fix a dented bbl? It's a pretty bad and sharp dent.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was planning a little test with the SX3, tracking how many rounds I could put through is before it needed cleaning. Unfortunately it got a healthy dose of swamp mud today and stunk too much to bring in the house. Test ended at 110 flawless rounds.

image.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11