Winter Sucks....and the deer don't like it either!

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wife mentioned this idea this morning. I will have to check into it. I hope they have no rules like have to let people hunt. I buy seed mix for pheasant's to plant from CHesak seed in Bismarck like $35 for alot of acres. Not big deal, I feed about 50 to 100 easy but in my area no hunting so they have it safe for most point. Deer are down big time maybe 10 to 15 few smaller bucks biggest at times 150 when breeding seasons rolls than never again. Alot of good crops and land for them not to get bothered.
As mentioned I get my corn and hay from farmer friends cheap trade for working and also get to hunt their land too. Labor of love I guess.

$
Sooo no rules like have to let people hunt. NICE! Give me money to keep wildlife on my property alive and doing well so I can benefit from it. No thanks! game and fish should use the funds to plant plots and feed on public property in my opinion. You want your own little wildlife preserve you should pay for it.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lost one deer in my yard this year, but it is paying it forward.
20230318_193147.jpg

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am getting really tired of this winter and there does not appear to be any relief in the extended forecast. A guy was hoping for an early and nice spring when we were getting those 40 degree days.
130+ days of sub-40 degree weather and counting......

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
We needed this snow like a drowning man needs a suit of armor. Got over a hundred deer coming in now, 7 pheasants, a half dozen squirrels, a few rabbits, a passel of pigeons, and I don't know how many tweety birds, but it's a constant blur of wings outside. I bought another 50 bushels of corn and 10 bales. If anyone is interested in helping out, just find a rancher in your hunting area with a bunch of deer tracks around his bales and if you can, stop by out of the blue and drop a hundo off and tell him it's to help offset the costs of feeding the deer. He'll probably refuse it, but it would sure help to improve hunter landowner relations I'm guessing. My neighbor to the north is up to 35 big round alfalfa bales eaten by the deer now. He's got a couple hundred in his herd and my other neighbor to the south has twice that many. Remember this winter guys when you get upset about how a landowner manages his land. It's not all roses and sunshine. It costs you a tag and some gas to hunt deer, but to others it's a bit more financially significant to have those deer out there. This is where wildlife orgs can really make a positive and observable difference. Use those membership dues to directly help get the wildlife through winters like this WITHOUT political bullshrite getting in the way. Direct hunter landowner interaction and cooperation to achieve mutual goals. I know.....it's just crazy talk from an old grey beard. Gotta go shovel snow and fire up the blower now. Stay Warm Guys!!!!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
With last nights snow the snow depth in my dog kennel is officially over my F--KING HEAD. Pups will not shit on grass until June. Garden going to be late to say the least. LB

Mr. Pike

Is it ok to feed deer corn in the winter time? I heard they can get acidosis and die.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Feeding critters in winter is NOT for the faint of heart. It's work and expensive to boot. I buy my deer feed at harvest time and stockpile bales well before the snow flies and I'm at the bottom of the barrel right now. This winter has been especially crappy. I'm coming up on 3k in expenses with a few more expenditures in the near future it looks like. I'm NOT looking for handouts as I plan for this, but more for informational purposes. It's pricey to feed in winter, but my family and I enjoy seeing the critters and it's entertainment and exercise for me. Instead of vacations, going to bars, and gym memberships, I carry buckets of corn, blow snow trails for the deer, pitchfork hay, and move bales around. This is why a wildlife club would be more suited to take this on rather than one guy. I'm retired so I have the time and inclination to deal with it. Just some stuff to kick around. Stay Safe and Warm out there guys.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
mother nature is a cruel bitch, but I guess they all are

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same here, do it for the love of wildlife and at times gets expensive. ND weather is crazy hard on animals either drought or snow can' seem to win. I am thank full for the farmers that I help in exchange for feed and hunting privileges.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Illegal to feed deer in my county in MN. 1 deer was found positive for cwd 2 years ago. Lol.
I will say though, the birds/squirrels n rabbits have eaten many MANY lbs of corn,beet tailings, sunflower screenings and alfalfa bales this winter.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If it is important to one there is always ways to make it work bucksnbears. thank you.
I fed at my food plots in bait restrict areas and will continue to do that. Can not imagine being brought up for that. But then there is always a neighbor that has a problem or a jealous so call outdoor person.
Yes, it is expense and i have help with my son and the wife has no idea.
Sometimes i think it is expensive to. db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Winning all over with the help of NDA. db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93