Your best fishing day ever..

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's easy for me. I took my oldest son fishing for the 1st time. We went to Audubon. The boat motor took a dumb. We trolled the entire day anyway. My son was 4, and he out-fished myself, and a buddy. It was spectacular.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Quanity = Ice fishing the Pollock area when the limit in SD on Oahe was 14. The fish were all 13-15 inches. 3 guys limited in less than 2 hours. You could only fish one jigging pole. As soon as you baited and dropped your jig, you had a bite. The only way you could have caught fish any faster was have someone standing there with a baited 2nd pole ready for you when you brought one up. Sorted out the 13" for over 14".

Quality = Pre-spawn in the Grand River over Easter in late 90's. No slot on Oahe then. Shore fishing with smelt. We were way up by the old spawning station. My 4 biggest were over 25 lbs. None over 8 lbs, but 2 over 7. I scanned a pic, but it wont upload.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Mine would be when I was a kid. Can't remember the age. But my mom's entire side of the family went camping/fishing for a 4th of July weekend. Was a bit of a tradition back then. Fishing from shore, a few trips out in the boat, all kinds of activities on shore, learned how to water ski, and campfires ... i love campfires. Shore fishing was bangin'. We were in a secluded area, with no power, water, sewer. But we had the whole place to ourselves. I'll never forget it.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I took best day, as number of fish or lbs of a limit. If we start talking memorable...Well then that's like trying to decide which kid you love the most. LOL

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hammered like 40 largemouth bass (all were released) on a small lake in MN. Many in the 3#+ range. Nothing over 4#, but at the end of the day my thumb was ragged from lipping all those fish, and my wrist and ribs were sore from setting the hook.

Sore ribs might need explanation: When I set the hook on bass, I clamp the end of the rod between my upper arm and ribs. Then you can put your back into it and really rip lips.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
So far, it was the day I took my 6 yo daughter ice fishing for perch. We took Zues, the ugliest dog on the planet, and we had a BALL!!! Here is a pic.

Cassie Ice Fishing021.jpg

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had a spot in AZ where we would hike for about a mile or two and get about 5-6 miles of river. All we would throw are Rebel Crawdads and we would come out with more than enough fish for everyone. We would take the cheap rubber rafts from walley world and raft after we would get tired of walking. There was one year that we were catching 2-3 fish at a time.

One year me and my cousin stayed up all night long because we were so excited. That same year we were hustling down the mountain and ended up jumping off a big rock in the ravine we were traveling down and was staring at a black bear. It wasn't big but it got us excited. Good times.

We didn't care much for cameras back then.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
bout 7 or 8 years ago, 2 buddies and i cpr'd 14 eyes between 26 and 32 1/2" in one day at tobin...

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
The boy had caught his first fish in Alabama. He knew the drill. In August of that same year we went below the dam at Darling with him rigged up properly with a Dale Jr. combo. On about his third or so cast, (he was 3 Bobkat); the fight was on. I had him prepared for some hammer handles and glad I did. The boy latched on to something huge and was leaning back with all his strength. I knew it was a walleye from lack of above water activity. His drag was set properly and he knew the drill from backyard exercises with me as the fish. Braided line works PERFECTLY in a spincast reel:

He got the fish to the bank twice and held on as it stripped his reel again. I was contemplating on how I could get in the water and toss the fish on the bank. A better prepared Air Force guy showed up with a net and offered his services. The boy got it to the bank again and the fish was netted. It is now on his wall mounted by Frenchy in Minot. 28in/7.5lbs. Damn it. His little arms looked like rubber when the fish got netted. Both the boy and the girl have whopper smallmouth certificates from Audobon. Neither have broken 5lbs. This will come.

I will not recommend my fishing technique instruction. Kids need bluegill/bobber as do you. I was always a guide instead of Dad to the boy. The girl took at as "pleasing Dad". Just catch a bunch of fish. Don't worry about the "lunker and failure"; deal with it as it comes. They would rather fill a bucket with perch and bluegill and watch them swimming around.

Last edited:

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definitely when the spillway pond let loose it was us and two other boats in there before the word got out it was unreal fishing my mom knocked two 8-10 lbs walleyes off at the boat she would get so excited when netting fish she would be swiping at them and catching a treble and it was a shit show but we honestly that day caught and released 50 walleyes over 26 inches. Quality quantity were both there and I got to have a great day fishing with the old man and of course mom!

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't think I could narrow it down to one, I have many memorable days.

Ice fishing with my Dad on Oahe in the 90's, sitting on buckets, jigging up walleyes, giggling like little girls. I miss those days.

Being with the Bride when she got her 8lb 9oz saugeye. Her being there when I caught my 12lb 10oz walleye.

Nailing a 20 inch grayling on the north side of the Brooks Range.

Back home fishing w/ a buddy before my first deployment and we had an epic crappie fishing day.

Catching 3-4lb smallies w/ the same buddy through the ice on Oahe.

Fishing farm ponds in SD and routinely catching 3-6lb large-mouths.

Many more memories if I kept sitting here and thinking back.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
A buddy and I landing 2 and almost 3 walleyes over 30 inches in an afternoon ranks right up there.

Plain Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
The year that we won the Prairie Knights Tournament. We were on 18-20 inch fish in practice. Everyone that we talked to was having problems finding fish over 17". Day of the tournament the 18-20's turned into 21-23's. I was running the boat all day and wasn't paying attention till we got back to the ramp and Dad kept saying just one more big one. That when I finally looked in the livewell and I knew we had it. The old man was smiling from ear to ear for hours.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few years ago me and my buddy where fishing off the rocks between North Arm and the Main lake of Audubon. was a fairly slow morning with only a couple pike and maybe 1 walleye. All of a sudden about 100 feet in front of us bait fish started jumping and gulls started dive bombing them. We could see the swirls of fish taking the bait fish. For about half an hour to 45 minutes every cast landed a White Bass. We kept 6 of them all just under 4 pounds. we had quite a few over 3 that day. We went home filleted and fryed them up. as we where eating his dad pulled up the fishing proclamation and told us whopper club on whites was 3 lbs....... we thought it was 4 lbs so didnt bother weighing any fish at a whopper station. Still was a great time and im hoping to tear into a school like that again.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of two; 2011 in the honey hole. I was back on break and my dad said the fishing was pretty good up at the race. We made plans with his friend (Gene-r) to meet up at his cabin in pick city. Gene didn't want to launch until 9:30 so we played pinochle and had a few drinks. i don't know what could have prepared me for the quality of fish in that system. We did this a couple days in a row. But in the last night my old man hooked into a 12 lb 11oz boheemith. As it got this the side of the boat, gener went to swipe at it with the net...he missed. As the fish headed back to the bottom, we all just held our breath. I don't know if I could even breath really. The fish stayed on, and gave us another chance. Looking back, that was the last time I got to fish with my dad and his best friend.

- - - Updated - - -

Story 2 of 2 occurred in the glacial lakes region of SD. I was planning on heading home one weekend while away at school when a friend asked if i wanted to go back with him to do some ice fishing. I've never seen so many holes drilled in a day of ice fishing. But, it yielded us three limits each. That's 12 walleye, 45 perch and 45 crappies. It took us all night to clean them.

Last edited:

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a senior in high school, me and a friend spent a May Saturday at Camerons point, ( Fort Yates) we caught 83 fish ( From Shore) Walleye, Saugar, White bass, Small Mouth , Carp, Pike, Crappie, cats, ling and a blue gill, all action and wide variety

freiday31

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in June of 1995, old man wasn't working due to cancer, we found a slow drift behind a sand bar on the river. One 10' spot where you could just sneak the old Lund across the bar and into the hole. About a 200 yard drift in 8-10'. We would pick up 10 scoops of minnows each morning. The best day we boated over 150 3+# fish. Best month of fishing I have ever seen. Spending it all with my dad made it even better. Sure do miss fishing with him.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Devil's Lake a few years ago, middle of summer. Had to go back for bait three times, and we were just using the smallest piece of worm we could on a spinner. Trolling bottom bouncers in a 100 yard stretch back and forth a friend and I caught over 100 walleye.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75