Z-grill

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody have a Z-grill-smoker? Considering buying one to replace my old smoker that gave up the ghost
Eye MPO on pellet grills

"Over rated" been there done that only my mistake after jumping in on a pellet grill/smoker was giving Away my perfectly good electric smoker as my pellet grill sucked,sucked so bad 90% of my grilling was on a weber charcoal and smoked ribs,pork roast etc charcoal with wood chunks for a nice slow burn smoke with various types of wood for flavor.

Gave away a perfect slightly used $500 pellet grill, electric smoker was the best for fish,fresh lake superior trout,steelhead on that Bradley smoker was the best brined correctly of course.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a Z-grill a few years ago and couldn't be happier with it. It maintains temp very well and I have had zero issues with it. I don't use it a ton but probably once a month or so but for the price it has been excellent.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eye MPO on pellet grills

"Over rated" been there done that only my mistake after jumping in on a pellet grill/smoker was giving Away my perfectly good electric smoker as my pellet grill sucked,sucked so bad 90% of my grilling was on a weber charcoal and smoked ribs,pork roast etc charcoal with wood chunks for a nice slow burn smoke with various types of wood for flavor.

Gave away a perfect slightly used $500 pellet grill, electric smoker was the best for fish,fresh lake superior trout,steelhead on that Bradley smoker was the best brined correctly of course.
What kind did you have. If I had to guess it was a traeger. I’m on year 7 with the pitboss and it’s one of the best purchases of my life. I have not found anything I can’t do from cold smoke to searing steak at 600.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
What kind did you have. If I had to guess it was a traeger. I’m on year 7 with the pitboss and it’s one of the best purchases of my life. I have not found anything I can’t do from cold smoke to searing steak at 600.
I have both, the Traeger at home, and the Pitboss in the 5th wheel. I can see almost no difference in these 2 smokers.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love my weber pellet does all I can ask for. It is much newer model maybe few years old. Some of early different models were so so.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have both, the Traeger at home, and the Pitboss in the 5th wheel. I can see almost no difference in these 2 smokers.
Pittboss a must at home --- the burner is closer to the grill - even if i do not open the slide on the pitt -- it will cook burgers, steak, chicken quicker then the traeger. Ribs pulled pork brisket ..... pizza traeger rules.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trarger you cant open and get direct flame. It does not get near as hot in general

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went pit boss,well built and i wanted the sear w/o a side propane burner for steaks,burgers,good reviews as it is made by Louisiana grills,i bought the big dog 750,it worked great but not for smoking,i always went back to my charcoal weber grill for better flavor with various wood chunk flavor,i smoke alot of oily fish,the pellet grill didn't cut it even adding a smoke tube,lowest setting was 175deg,lack of smoke flavor and dried out the fish at that high temperature, my electric smoker start temp was 100 degrees for trout and salmon then gradually increasing temp to 150degrees to avoid white boogers (oil) on fillets,

I tried cracking the pellet grill shield/lid two inches,didn't help.

Ducks and goose turned out way better smoked on electric smoker flavor wise.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trarger you cant open and get direct flame. It does not get near as hot in general
Agreed,i eyeballed a trarger at the time i was on point for a pellet grill max temp was/is 400 degrees, pitboss on sear is 700degrees to sear,never seared steak over open flame,instead i did steaks in cast iron skillet over flame box,again charcoal rules for flavor steaks,chops at my house,extra work but better results impo.

jtillman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Camp Chef pellet grill with a side sear box for me. Have done everything traditional (meats wise) to bread, cookies, pies, cheese, pizza, mac-n-cheese, dips and more. Pellet grill goes to 450+. Have an insulated blanket for it and can use it year round (I think some of the newer pellet grills have better insulation built into the lids now than when I bought mine 5+ years ago).

Reverse searing is super easy with the side sear box, and when I'm pinched for time, I'll use just the side sear box if I just want to quickly grill up burgers, brats, chicken, etc. Like @Kurtr said--one of the best purchases I've made.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh,don't forget about vacuuming flame box,buddy never cleaned his,ended up with a back fire in the pellet hopper.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went pit boss,well built and i wanted the sear w/o a side propane burner for steaks,burgers,good reviews as it is made by Louisiana grills,i bought the big dog 750,it worked great but not for smoking,i always went back to my charcoal weber grill for better flavor with various wood chunk flavor,i smoke alot of oily fish,the pellet grill didn't cut it even adding a smoke tube,lowest setting was 175deg,lack of smoke flavor and dried out the fish at that high temperature, my electric smoker start temp was 100 degrees for trout and salmon then gradually increasing temp to 150degrees to avoid white boogers (oil) on fillets,

I tried cracking the pellet grill shield/lid two inches,didn't help.

Ducks and goose turned out way better smoked on electric smoker flavor wise.
What did you run your p setting at that seems about what 4 would be thats the factory default but if you go to 7 or 8 on the p setting it will run around 90-100 depending on outside temp and wind. Using good pellets also makes a huge difference.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
What did you run your p setting at that seems about what 4 would be thats the factory default but if you go to 7 or 8 on the p setting it will run around 90-100 depending on outside temp and wind. Using good pellets also makes a huge difference.
Can't remember settings after warm up,usually set temp for pork roast,chicken 350degrees,my grill was in my 3season porch ,i would roll grill out 1/2 out on stair flat,lock caster wheels so some beech wouldn't roll down back door stairs with outside door wide open,always semi warm never used in open cold winter months.

Like propane grills it was convenient and quick to fire up,end result with table fare wasn't what i was hoping for using pellet grill,i will say these pellet grills are better than propane grills are for flavor,but still found myself using weber kettle grill for ribs,chicken, steaks for smoke and searing,but thats my take.

One other pellet grill i
was checking out was "daniel boone" pellet grill,but it needed a side propane burner for steak and burgers.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve had a Z grill for about 3 years now and no complaints here. it works awesome for my needs. If I want to cook something hot and fast I still have my gas grill. Have a GM in the camper and like that setup as well. The big mistake people make with a smoker is buying too big of one. figure out the biggest item you are going to cook and get that size. Bigger isn’t always better.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’ve had a Z grill for about 3 years now and no complaints here. it works awesome for my needs. If I want to cook something hot and fast I still have my gas grill. Have a GM in the camper and like that setup as well. The big mistake people make with a smoker is buying too big of one. figure out the biggest item you are going to cook and get that size. Bigger isn’t always better.
I tell my wife the same thing...

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
FYI,

Check out this grill,"recteq" looks like a winner for yous guyz going pellet....Buddy has the $399 stainless (double sided),couldn't brag enough,even cold smoke,max temp 750degrees,no propane side burner

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
grew up with a actual smoke house in the back yard and dad was always smoking something. the pellet grills dont smell like a smoke house when they are smoking so i question what the pellets are made of.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've had great success with my GMG, but will likely go to a Camp Chef when I upgrade. A friend has had his Z grill for a few years with no complaints.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone jump on ninja wood grill/smoker? Can't get away from info commercials,looks slick for small portions.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88