Drones in hunting

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Trophy Clubs Against Combining Drones and Hunting

As interest soars for combining drones and hunting, record-keeping clubs push back, saying they won’t recognize trophies taken with the use of the gadgets.

By Darren Warner

If you intend to operate a drone in a state that allows them for hunting-related purposes, don’t think you can enter your trophy in the big record books.

drone-shutterstock_521421886.jpg
Shutterstock image

Both the Pope and Young Club and Boone and Crockett Club prohibit the use of aircraft, including drones, to locate, monitor, scout or stalk North American big game.

“These highly sophisticated, remote-controlled aircraft have no place in Fair Chase hunting,” said Richard Hale, chairman of the Boone and Crockett Club’s Big Game Records Committee. “The Boone and Crockett Club stands with the Pope and Young Club and hunter-conservationists everywhere who are discouraging the use of drones in hunting.”

Commemorative Bucks of Michigan, Michigan’s official record keeper for trophy deer and other animals, doesn’t have an official statement on the use of drones for deer hunting.

But given that it’s illegal in Michigan to use a drone to actually hunt deer, it’s a safe bet the organization would reject any entry if a UAS was used to help the hunter bag his whitetail.

I have been considering getting a drone. My two main purposes would be for checking sloughs for water, and recovering a downed deer.

What is everyone's opinions on drones in hunting?

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Absolutely hate the idea. I am glad our G+F has taken a strong stance on this and doesn't allow drone use for hunting purposes.

It shall be illegal to use all types of aircraft, manned or unmanned, for spotting game 72 hours prior to and during the hunting season. A licensee cannot hunt the same day they are airborne over their hunting unit, except on a scheduled passenger airline flight. It is illegal to drive, concentrate, rally, raise, stir up or disturb game with all types of aircraft, manned or unmanned

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
are they legal for pheasant?

never mind - I thought I read "big game" above - not "game"

latest

- - - Updated - - -

hunting with drones would be sick sick sick

(tempting sometimes when I am really struggling though - ha ha)

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd rather use a dog. You'd have to fly pretty low to see much on the small monitor. Just isn't very feasible to take a drone hunting IMO.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have flown my drone over the woods by where I live and it would be fairly easy to see a downed animal from treetop level especially once the leaves are gone

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Devils Advocate here. How about fish cameras scouting under water then? With all the technological advances in the last 20 or so years , wildlife doesn't have a chance and it is only going to be more sophisticated. Just tossing out there for discussion.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about laser guns? How much drop would there be @ 1000 meters, not much for sure! :;:exactly

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't like animals going to waste so any means of recovery is ok with me. As far as using them to find game we have become to lazy already with to many people shooting out their pickup window. I had an old 3D target I set up in a posted field about ten years ago to see if people would stop and glass it. About half shot out their vehicle window, others got out and shot from the road. Only one guy didn't out of 15. He snuck onto posted land and glasses it through his rifle scope from 200 yards then left without shooting. Laughed until our sides huet, but sad too.

One passenger was shooting out the window while the pickup was still sliding.

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drones are here to stay, and will be used to harass hunters and hunt clubs, as well as to pursue game. And I think all the technology gadgets on boats these days isn't much different than drones.

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I have been considering getting a drone. My two main purposes would be for checking sloughs for water, and recovering a downed deer.

What is everyone's opinions on drones in hunting?

Ethically this is the only thing I think they might be used for.

Drones are here to stay, and will be used to harass hunters and hunt clubs, as well as to pursue game. And I think all the technology gadgets on boats these days isn't much different than drones.

I really believe the anti hunting groups will be doing this soon.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drones, in and of themselves are, to me, the latest in hobby remote controlled aircraft and pose no threat to anyone when used in public areas. You put a camera on it and now it's a tool to invade locations where the operator is/was never meant to go without permission. ie: posted land, back yards, private resorts, ect. The use of these toys over my property is, to me, the same as trespassing without permission. Any use of these toys over private property (homes or land) should be prohibited. PERIOD!!! As far as using them for hunting on public land, I oppose this as the possibility for abuses ranging from harassment of other hunters, driving game, harassing game, using it to scout for game, and so forth make them a quagmire for negative relationships and encounters between so many groups it's staggering. I know guys, including myself, who work very hard to provide a sanctuary for deer and would be VERY PUT OUT to have some fubblenuts spook the deer with their toys. Are there positives, of course, but in my mind, the negative uses people will come up with do not balance the spreadsheet. Carry On!!

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Where will it end? Is this much different than a trail camera connected to your home computer or cell phone? Fish cameras are not as useful when moving like summer fishing but very useful when ice-fishing. Then again I can basically tell you the same thing that is going on under the ice with my Vexilar, just can't tell you what kind of fish is there. I do think underwater cameras are great for kids. Keeps them interested to be able to see that there are fish there and what kind, etc. Great entertainment. Like all technology, it can be used inappropriately.

Have you ever watcherdcommercial fisherman when scouting for schooling fish like herring. There are planes in the air all over, radioing back to the boats where the fish are. Nothing illegal about that. Another purpose is so the G&F know how many fish are bing caught and can very strictly regulate the catch. Technology can be used for the good as well as the bad. No easy answer.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Drones and the like can have their benefit to us as hunters and fisherman.

However we as hunters and fisherman just seem to push everything to the n degree and will use it for things we know better than what to use these things for. As everything else we need the government to tell us, as we can not police ourselves.

Cross bows,
I applied for one due to a tear in my rotary cup and really I am just to lazy to get back into an exercise program and the concern of tearing and another surgery which I do not want to go through again. And the list goes on. But I am still thinking I really need to hunt with my Mathews. Just cannot pull it back right now and hopefully I do not take the easy way out. Tonight I start (maybe). db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 178
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84