Spotting Scope

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at adding a spotter to the optics collection this year. What do you guys prefer, Angled or Straight? I don't bench shoot. Will be for looking out the pick-up and sitting on top of the hills glassing.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have owned 2 straights (still own), next purchase will be angled. Don't glass much from the pickup anymore. Lots from the hills.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought an angled for my first spotter. wishing I would have bought a straight. glassing from the truck sucks with an angled. also, when sitting on a hillside glassing it does kind of suck having to tilt your head down to look into the eyepiece.

Flinger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't glass from a pickup.... I have had both and greatly prefer angled. When on a hillside with a straight, I always got kinks in my neck and could only look so long. Angled are awesome IMO for this, its kinda a natural tilt that feels comfortable to me. Even better when u have a chair or have the spotter just in front of you down on the hillside and can set it up just perfect for yourself. Will never get straight again. Petras is just old and stuck in his ways with what he is use too! ��

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well i'm planning on only having to buy one spotting scope. Going with the Swaro STS. Was dead set on straight, then looked through one my buddy has and it's making me second guess!

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
What about when u have to glass way below u in a valley? Doesn't an angled suck then?

ive only ever used straight. I do a lot of glassing from pickup too

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Angled eyepieces make sense if you stand behind a tripod alot. For pickup window and sitting behind a tripod then straight is better.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the Swaro's, you can rotate the Angled Piece. But I get what you're saying.

Flinger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like angle for sitting and standing on a tripod, as my tripod is very adjustable in height.. part of it is how you position the tripod. I haven't used it but once in the mountains but alot on a steep canyon side looking down to river bottoms and it works gear for me.. I think its a big personal preference thing though. I find angled much more relaxing..

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read this once and it made sense to me:

"I have no doubt I could ride a bike whilst using a periscope, but why would I?"

That'd be an endorsement for straight.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you intend to use it a lot from a vehicle, I find that I have to twist half way around to use my straight eyepiece spotting scope. If it was angled, I could rotate it in its mount so the eyepiece pointed more toward me and I could sit more normally. Of course, that requires a scope that will rotate in its tripod foot.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just get both what's a couple extra pounds in your pack and a couple thousand dollars.

DustyG33

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just bought a second straight spotter. Never owned an angled but just don't see the point unless looking up which I'm usually not. I glass a lot from my truck and from the top of hills looking down

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
For use around here, all you need is straight. Angled don't work so well out of the truck, and are meant more for the mountains and use on uneven ground. With the right tripod and window mount you can make either work anywhere though. I will say that looking through an angled scope while sitting in the truck is a pain in the ass!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 91
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33