So...I got a dog

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife, whom hates any and all pet hair, allowed me to buy a dog for my birthday. I was a little torn on the decision but we went with a Vizsla. Not sure what's in store for me with the wife, but I finally have my bird dog. We don't take her home until Christmas time so I have some time to get the garage ready. I'm planning on putting a door from outside kennel to inside kennel. The garage is heated but I might end up adding a baseboard heater just to make sure.

So, if any of you have recommendations for this set up, please let me know. I'm thinking I'll line the inside wall with that rolled fiberglass sheeting that you see in restaurant kitchens. I'm also thinking green treated lumber will be the way to go. Hell, maybe the wife falls in love with the dog and I'm allowed to keep her in the house.

Lastly, I've only ever had GSP's and don't know a single thing about Vizslas. So, if you guys who have one can give me some pointers, please help. I'm gone that majority of the day but my wife doesn't work too far from out house. Hopefully that helps with separation anxiety that these dogs are prone to.

IMG_1539.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
neat!

BTW, you can't find a dog hair in our home - just sayin :D

- - - Updated - - -

Hint for future dog owners: suggest to the wife that she should get a really smart and hypoallergenic dog... like a standard poodle... then take her dog hunting

works for some people
groucho.gif

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congratulations on the addition to the family. Your wife will love that dog more than you will DirtyMike, did she come with to pick the dog out with you? I wish I could have a dog, maybe some day when I buy a house out in the country.
k-h-lectro-kennel-heated-pad-cover.jpg

Works great if you get in trouble and have to sleep in the doghouse lol

Last edited:

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Viszlas are part of the versatile dog group. Look up the Bismarck chapter of NAVHDA. Great group of guys. They'll give you more information on raising and training your pup than you'll probably want to know!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would investigate how best to prevent her from becoming "too timid" (or get her out of it if most viszlas are born that way?).

I've seen one viszla (and heard of more) that are gun shy and sort of overwhelmed out in the field. So much so they can't hunt (walk behind or right next to owner at all times... shivering/nervous).

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you building the dog house for the outdoor kennel? If so, I may be able to get you some 4-6" thick pre-insulated walls. He's usually got some scraps laying around, so let me know. I built a 6x8' blind with some "scraps" a few years back. You can fart in that thing during muzzleloader season and stay warm in a t-shirt. Not a good thing to do if the wife is with though...especially after eating chili the night before....

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well hers a purdy girl puppy dog!! You should name her Libby, short for Liberal Pinko Communist.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well hers a purdy girl puppy dog!! You should name her Libby, short for Liberal Pinko Communist.
No she going to be a dazey, molli or let your wife decide your dogs name.
I just remembered my neighbor has a female vizslas, she doesn't bark unless she is with his wife. Always very friendly and we'll mannered except when she craps in my yard.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would investigate how best to prevent her from becoming "too timid" (or get her out of it if most viszlas are born that way?).

I've seen one viszla (and heard of more) that are gun shy and sort of overwhelmed out in the field. So much so they can't hunt (walk behind or right next to owner at all times... shivering/nervous).

Yep a guy i guide with has 2 the older one took a few years and now he hunts like a champ his pup this year walked by him and would chase a bird now and then but was timid. Jake the older one is a hell of a dog with a good nose. I dont know much about them and how to get past that timid stage other than time and experience. Seems he did alot of hunting one on one to get the older one going and once he learned if he wanted to bring any birds back you have to be on it right now with all the labs running around he has been great.

With all that said dogs are awesome my boy from a few years back with our guys
CbMQet3wHOb18LxwhHArSdM1yWLYNerWBonroxyjOUHAcl3RQan2Ba0wefVP4mJNOShFfdfBhwnyZKLyXkLlnbHjf0uEM8iE1bGdEKTZA6On5C9kRTzb3MALfvkUXAno_2LARVI8AaunY45UW48KimLuCmRUuBU-KnKje0hFXgX2L0H52Mp3Xgvo0ycKUM1H13YrWFIvDMyN3mWj_FoZLincwoKtC-_r2fu-knEN73VEpq8h7p8oJbevBLjxeshKW4qNkVk_ar2DF4fTQLoYeZNMAluLJDn_Vrv2APw48DlnJl_2FPX5SqjAXqQK4g6iErkibw4Cx5JdQZwaO6sJWPOmmFUh8x5yd_ILfKs73GxtbJhsdXNa7X84MBtmTjNKlzEXma-R7ZylrVrUSLcdezbEfa92iXcCjsLLHkSQEmXCnVhfjdCOM8xJRoJKuR0LpQ3B7zrT0YRXYgDE6mCL4Dcq1_OhKg1YvVaU_jOudth1uOL5zfuIwkAoUniL1WxI_U5uy3PS44rA1VTtCceK0f5RoqKTCgqoY2h-WEJXTOY=w858-h643-no

Last edited:

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
The birds make the dog. Get him on as many birds as you possibly can in that first year.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
The gun shy thing has been a worry since I found out I was able to get a dog. It seems like it's either there is or isn't. We never trained our dogs with .22's/410's and they've never hesitated on a shot. So worrying about it seems pointless.

Musky, I'm banking on my wife falling for the pup and bringing it in the house. But, she's venturing far out of her comfort zone buy just letting me have one. So we'll cross that giant river in time.

Time of the year for training might end up being perfect. I can get our out all summer. I'll check out the navhda as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you building the dog house for the outdoor kennel? If so, I may be able to get you some 4-6" thick pre-insulated walls. He's usually got some scraps laying around, so let me know. I built a 6x8' blind with some "scraps" a few years back. You can fart in that thing during muzzleloader season and stay warm in a t-shirt. Not a good thing to do if the wife is with though...especially after eating chili the night before....

I might take you up on that offer. I haven't planned that far ahead yet.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mike, suggestion was due to the original subject posting and I believe Lunker to be correct.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It seems like it's either there is or isn't. We never trained our dogs with .22's/410's and they've never hesitated on a shot. So worrying about it seems pointless.

Serious? I bought a cap gun I would always shoot during fetch with a bumper. I wasted my time? Dogs either are or aren't? (just curious - I have no expertise)

b2down

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy must be talking about my Vizsla. He is very timid. He is almost two and has trouble getting away from my side in the field. He has been on wings and birds since he was 12 weeks old. Loves the birds but doesn't want to hunt for them. I'm having trouble correcting this problem.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
so when picking out a viszla a person should look for most outgoing/emboldened one in the bunch because they are generally "shy" as a breed?

again - just trying to learn for if/when I get the next pup of some sort

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good for you, Mike! Keep the dog inside. Kids are gonna LOVE it. Problem solved :)

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
instead of spending all the money on supplies for house just buy a DogDen 2. I have 3 labs. I built an insulated box for two of them in my garage that they can go in and out. Does work nice but..didn't have room for new dog so I ordered a DogDen 2. I believe around $300. Put some bedding in it and it has a swing door. VERY warm and would be even warmer if you do as you say and put in the garage. Google dogden

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy must be talking about my Vizsla. He is very timid. He is almost two and has trouble getting away from my side in the field. He has been on wings and birds since he was 12 weeks old. Loves the birds but doesn't want to hunt for them. I'm having trouble correcting this problem.

That's a very frustrating deal of which I have some experience with a friend's lab. One day we let her out and just sat on the tailgate until she got bored. She eventually began ranging and we nonchalantly followed getting a hun for our "efforts". Then the bitch wouldn't come. This was solved permanently by driving away and letting her chase us for a few thousand yards. I was scared of that stunt but it worked perfectly. Pard was so pissed he didn't care if she pursued or not and cussed me a bit for stopping. She became decent, not great, you had to figure out her head which actually became part of the fun.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 80