side benefit

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
gopher.jpgWell a friend of mine on the farm has a few coons terrorizing her yard area and seem to have moved into a shed in the yard. Put out some dog proof coon traps and caught one and got rid of it and had another one in the trap but got out, appears to be some young ones and the arm was to small to keep pinned in trap until I could get there for dispatch. Been gone about a week and resetting the traps tomorrow when we do some fencing. This is something I didn't know was possible with the dog proof traps and we got 2 of them already so some bonus points for me helping her with these also. I have it appears in the last few days a gopher move into my yard and digging up fresh mounds. Thinking of putting 1 or 2 of these out and see if I can get him out of my yard also this way, only question is can a cat get caught in these traps that anyone knows of, a few cats roam the neighbor hood once in al while. dukgnfsn

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Cats are to have 9 lives so if they lose one so be it.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have a gas engine mower/what-ever rig it so you can hook up a radiator hose to the exhaust and poke it into one of the gopher holes and pack dirt around the hose so the exhaust fumes go throughout the tunnel complex. Turn the mower off an hour later and end of gopher problem and you do not endanger any other critters ... er - pets.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have anisette flavored coon grabbers at the bottom of the trap below the trigger and put some cat food in the tube and some spread around the trap, seem to get the coons attention and the gophers also. Cant figure out how to paste picture of coon grabbers but if wondering what they are can google them, they go under the trigger and the coons try to dig them out and trip trigger.
Dale,
How are you baiting the coon catchers?

campchef

Honored Member
I had a 8" piece of 1/4 rebar welded to the coon cuff at about 45 degrees so the trap stays upright when the rebar is pushed into the ground. I use those round sugar coated water mellon candies on the trigger. I've trapped a few skunks as well but never a gopher.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
9Dzu6RR.jpgWell a friend of mine on the farm has a few coons terrorizing her yard area and seem to have moved into a shed in the yard. Put out some dog proof coon traps and caught one and got rid of it and had another one in the trap but got out, appears to be some young ones and the arm was to small to keep pinned in trap until I could get there for dispatch. Been gone about a week and resetting the traps tomorrow when we do some fencing. This is something I didn't know was possible with the dog proof traps and we got 2 of them already so some bonus points for me helping her with these also. I have it appears in the last few days a gopher move into my yard and digging up fresh mounds. Thinking of putting 1 or 2 of these out and see if I can get him out of my yard also this way, only question is can a cat get caught in these traps that anyone knows of, a few cats roam the neighbor hood once in al while. dukgnfsn

We caught a couple cats in ours when we were on the farm. Got them turned loose but they couldn't use that foot any longer.

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have a gas engine mower/what-ever rig it so you can hook up a radiator hose to the exhaust and poke it into one of the gopher holes and pack dirt around the hose so the exhaust fumes go throughout the tunnel complex. Turn the mower off an hour later and end of gopher problem and you do not endanger any other critters ... er - pets.

But those gophers are so fun to shoot :;:muahaha

Grizzly Adams

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kind of a win win isn’t it? Either get a gopher or stray cat. Decent either way you look at it

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kind of a win win isn’t it? Either get a gopher or stray cat. Decent either way you look at it
I agree with this but beings I am in town it may be a bad thing for a cat to be caught in a trap until I can get home, although by law I believe cat are not supposed to be running free as they do. On the farm either gopher or cat are fair game and a bonus for me since all she has is a house cat that never goes outside.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
At 1st, the title of this thread had me thinking someone had a lil something, something on the side! What a let down. :;:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 180
  • This month: 150
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84