Freak accident. (Understatement)

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very crazy. I use bottom bouncers with the weight at the bottom, not the middle.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bottom bouncers are bad. Yikes.

I think I will put a 90 degree bend on the last inch of every single one I own. they should still slide over crap alright. Or use the ones with the teardrop weight at the bottom.

Come to think of it, I haven't used one in ages.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bottom bouncers are bad. Yikes.

I think I will put a 90 degree bend on the last inch of every single one I own. they should still slide over crap alright. Or use the ones with the teardrop weight at the bottom.

Come to think of it, I haven't used one in ages.

The weight at the bottom doesnt in rocks --- the weight lodges in between in riprap. Talk to Wade at dakota tackle he sells em with the weight at the bottom - he will tell you what they work good for and what they dont. The original bottom bouncer was made with the weight in the middle for a reason. I have had enough spinner baits bass jigs and cranks to the body; never a bouncer. I have seen by taking a buddy to the hospital in Detroit Lakes - they had a paper character in which they put a x on which they took out hooks - it covered every part of the body.

I always pull as much as possible towards the boat when fighting a fish and keep the rod tip low as possible for that reason. Big fish one does what they can. I bump foward with the trolling motor as much as possible to keep in a troll mode if i can.

I have to laugh at the "i dont use bottom bouncers crowd" This past week i would say it was a 95% bouncer crowd on van hook. I casted my ass off for 40 years pursuing largemouth. My first reel was a shimano bait caster and i wore that thing out (i didnt get the luxury of a zebco or a spinning reel). It was fun casting but I am glad to take a break, sit on a chair and have a cold busch light. Not saying that i dont cast anymore -we bumped some smallys last weekend with chatterbaits it was fun.

- - - Updated - - -

I also will say that hit was probably the hardest on wife daughter. The unknowing of the outcome is the worst. Scars them for life.

Glad to see the outcome was good.

bilbo

Honored Member
Wow, lucky family. That's scary as hell.

That is one crazy story, loaded rods are like loaded guns. Eye protection is good mmmmk.

Truth. Back years ago I went to a seminar about cat fishing from a guy that was missing some of his front teeth. He lost them trying to pull out of a snag and the big weight shot back and hit him in the face. That was enough to scare me; he said if pulling a snag to lower the rod parallel with the line and it's less likely to happen.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have to laugh at the "i dont use bottom bouncers crowd" This past week i would say it was a 95% bouncer crowd on van hook. Updated - - -

I probably would use them, if I had a boat. I do own some bottom bouncers, but they collect dust as I'm primarily (by necessity) a shore-fishing guy.

Saturday night I nabbed four decent eyes, throwing cranks on the east rocks of the tailrace. Between 17" and 22". All after midnight. Also a 10#+ pickerel. Ask me how long of a leader I use.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn I’m sticking to grizzly bear country with expired half used bear spray. Way safer

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wth, I always though pickerel was Canadian for walleye and jacks were pike up there. Learn something new everyday on here.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I probably would use them, if I had a boat. I do own some bottom bouncers, but they collect dust as I'm primarily (by necessity) a shore-fishing guy.

I know and i shouldnt of quoted you. Shore fish is number 1 in my book. I would give anything to live in gods country and shore fish the MO again.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Say goodbye to the traditional BB design of having a pointy wire out the bottom. Ha ha.

If you think I'm wrong, go buy a gas can that doesn't suck

#lawsuit

- - - Updated - - -

[mostly tongue in cheek but who knows these days]

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to live dangerously with my pointy bottom bouncers. If that's what takes me out, I guess it was my time.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to live dangerously with my pointy bottom bouncers. If that's what takes me out, I guess it was my time.
Exactly, bout the same odds as being struck by a stray bullet while afield.. Won't ever back off the simple eye protection thing though.. Teeth can be rebuilt lol.

bilbo

Honored Member
If you think I'm wrong, go buy a gas can that doesn't suck

#lawsuit

- - - Updated - - -

[mostly tongue in cheek but who knows these days]

I had an old style can with a bad spout in the shed. I was at menards and saw they had special replacement spouts for old cans. When I went to put it on the can There was a little air vent grommet inside and the instructions basically read “ Definitely do not drill a 3/8” hole in a new style gas can and push this grommet in, then install the spout on the can.”

Edited to fix misspelling.

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
then i suppose they will stick in the rocks if they get turned a little bit.
I'm thinking just a little 3 mm little bend at the bottom. That shouldn't snag up in rocks, any more than they will as is.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
a bullet proof vest, and helmet should be worn at all times whilst afield.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there a newspaper article on this? I'd like to share it with a few people.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
They actually had it on TV on th 6 o'clock news. KX12 CBS. Probably have it on again at 10.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's the Newsweek article on it as well.

Note, I don't think the author has ever fished a day in his life.

I see the images didn't come through, but in the link (Man Impales Own Heart in 'Freak' Fishing Accident (msn.com)), they are using a picture of a man holding a fly fishing rod. I'm certainly not an expert in fly fishing, but I can't imagine many use a BB on a fly rod.

Man Impales Own Heart in 'Freak' Fishing Accident

James Crump 2 hrs ago

|

Conor McGregor Gets New $3.4M Lamborghini Yacht a Week After Poirier Defeat

Attorney For Capitol Rioter Melts Down on CNN's 'New Day,' Gets Cut Off While…

cache.php
A South Dakota man said that surviving having his heart impaled while reeling in a fish earlier this month "was better than winning the lottery."
cache.php
© campbellphotostudio/iStock / Getty Images Plus File photo of a sunrise over the marsh with man holding a fly rod and reel. A South Dakota man has said that surviving having his heart impaled by a fishing hook while reeling in a fish earlier this month "was better than winning the lottery."Todd Thesenvitz was reeling in a northern pike fish at a lake near the city of Clark, South Dakota, at around 11:15 a.m. on July 7 when part of his gear broke, causing a section of his fishing hook to fly into his chest, according to a Facebook post by his wife Marie Thesenvitz.

"I seen the bottom bouncer come flying towards me like in slow motion," he explained to NBC affiliate KELO about the ordeal. "Well I thought it just hit me in the chest, but when it hit me in the chest I felt something right here and then I realized that it was stuck inside of me."
He explained to the local outlet that he looked down and saw that the hook had gone into the "left ventricle in my heart. There's a sack around your heart. It went through that and into the heart muscle itself."
His wife and his daughter, Keanna Thesenvitz, who is a nurse, joined him on the fishing trip and the pair helped him through the ordeal as they took him back to land to get medical attention.
His daughter said that her first thought was to not pull the hook out, but explained that it was difficult as "whenever anything happens, you instantly want to get it out of you cause you think that would help."
Todd Thesenvitz's wife drove the family's boat back to the landing at the lake, where first responders were waiting for her husband, but explained to KELO that the journey back to land was difficult.
"Every wave that it hit was making him scream in more pain, so it was nerve-racking, and I just had to kind of keep looking over my shoulder, but I knew that Keanna had him and I knew she was going to take care of him," Marie Thesenvitz said.
After the boat got back to land, Todd Thesenvitz was taken to a local hospital before being airlifted to Sioux Falls where he underwent successful surgery to remove the hook from his chest.
"They're like it's a one in a million chance that you're still here with us. Had I pulled it out, they said within 30 minutes you'd definitely been dead," he said, before adding that surviving the ordeal was "better than winning the lottery."
In the Facebook post Marie Thesenvitz said that the surgeon told her that "there was no reason Todd was still alive," and informed her that "a lesser man would be dead."
She called the incident a "freak accident" and thanked people for their "prayers and your positive energies! My husband is alive and healing."
Although he is currently not allowed to lift anything weighing more than 10 pounds, Todd Thesenvitz told KELO that he is doing well, as his wife said that "we are truly blessed. Truly, truly blessed."

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 170
  • This month: 141
  • This month: 131
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 80