Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 433
      Given: 1,255
      Not sure about up in ND, but down here strawberries usually end up being a nuisance! Not in a bad way necessarily, but they spread like crazy. Around here usually you can find someone who wants to thin their strawberry patch and they will give them away. We started ours with some plants we ordered and I saw the other day they are starting to perk up a bit. I don't think you should have any trouble getting strawberries going. One thing that did not work for us was when the wife wanted to plant some in an old claw foot tub...between the heat drying them out we constantly had to water them and then the kicker was I think they froze so hard in the tub that it killed them...whichever it was, they did not come back the 2nd year. My grandma used to have two big stock tanks that were her strawberry patches.

0 Not allowed!
      There is pleasure in the pathless woods, there is rapture in the lonely shore, there is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar; I love not Man the less, but Nature more. -Lord Byron

2. Back To Top    #542
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      Friendly

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,978
      Given: 3,377
      My mother would always cover her strawberry plants in the late fall with about 2' of straw for the winter than remove in early spring. We always had fresh berry's all summer. Every couple years she would start a new patch by using the runners from the old plants.

1 Not allowed!

3. Back To Top    #543
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,819
      Given: 3,159
      Quote Originally Posted by BP338 View Post
      any tips or tricks to get strawberries going?
      I havent mastered strawberries yet, they are tricky IMO. I think they really need to be replanted frequently to keep harvest going, first year they might produce a few berries, 2nd year is the best, 3rd year they taper off and then you need to completely replant the bed and start over from my experience. Also they tend to be sensitive from the cold so it is good to cover them in the winter and birds will eat them before they are ripe so you need to net them also. Slugs can be a problems too, at least in my yard, they like the berries....

0 Not allowed!

4. Back To Top    #544
      VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      zzz

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 774
      Given: 2,552
      From what I've seen they don't over winter very good up here. They do like full sun and the south side of a building is a good place for them. They can be sort of a project unless you find the perfect place for them. I used to have an area where they did real well. I turned it into a flower garden.

0 Not allowed!

5. Back To Top    #545
      Ultimate VIP Member
      Life is good

Mood:
      zzz

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,625
      Given: 3,777
      I built a raised bed next to my basement foundation and made use out of that heat loss we get a row of early peas and the strawberries thrive in there. I saw some were turning green yesterday before the snow hit and there is still frost in the ground so it pays to make use of the basement heat loss. There is a tricks to help keep the birds out. Take a bunch of strawberry sized rocks and paint them red and put them down by your strawberry plants, Birds get tricked a time or two before the berries are ripe and they don't hang around. It helps that ours are right next to the house because Knucklehead (cat) loves to lay in them and take a nap and chase a bird once in a while. What gets ours is wasps and bees, They eat holes in them so we pick early in the morning. Going to plant a pollinator garden this spring and see if that will keep them away. The same here with the plants fizzling out after 3 or 4 years , We are on 6 or 7 years and still get a decent crop but not as big and juicy as they once were. Try the rock trick and you will laugh that something so simple actually works, My wife was in charge and she made them look just like berries and fooled a few humans too.

1 Not allowed!
      The beatings shall continue until the morale improves. Corona Virus~

6. Back To Top    #546
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1
      Given: 0
      I can relate to that. Remember weeding potatoes for hours as a kid thinking man i could by a 50lb bag of unclassifieds for $3 at the time . Now i see things a little different.

1 Not allowed!

7. Back To Top    #547
      VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      zzz

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 774
      Given: 2,552
      Since there isn't much else to do, list the tomatoes you will be growing this year.

I always plant some heirlooms for eating.

Mariannas Peace. A pink beefsteak heirloom. I have been raising these for several years. They can get up to a pound, for taste they blow hybrids out of the water.

I'm going to try Berkley Pink Tie Dye tomatoes this year. Supposedly they rival heirlooms in flavor. I always try different varieties, just for the hell of it.

For salsa and sauce I'm trying Hungarian Heart tomatoes. They are large and meaty. A friend had good luck with them last year. Another heirloom.

Last year I raised San Marzano romas. Meaty and thin skinned they produced quite well. Not much problem with blight.

When it comes to making sauce I've found they heirlooms cook down quicker than hybrids with better flavor.

1 Not allowed!

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728