Braided line

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used fire line for years then switched to power pro cranking. Tried cabelas ripcord Si and liked it. Love power pro. Anybody use anything else they really like?

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fan of Spiderwire translucent for pitching mimics. Liked the Suffix but seems like a lot of wind knots compared to the Spider

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are just trolling or vertical jigging monotex gliss is great, not the best if you doing a lot of repetitive casting because it's similar nanofil but is made or woven for better durability with less fraying, it still frays but it takes much longer to get to that point. It's has the strongest to diameter ratio then any braided line. I like to spool all my reels summer and winter with a cheaper braid then tie on monotex gliss or power pro vermillion red to fill up to desired amount. Having such a small diameter on the monotex gliss would take many rolls to fill each spool up to the desired level. Another is buying power pro braid type line in large rolls, you can get knock off braided line that is made similar to your favorites for much cheaper and more of it. Then you can do what I do and fill your spools with your favorite and when the line gets worn out or loses its color replace with new line every season if you want to. It's much cheaper and faster then having to replace a whole reel spool with new line. JMTC

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
What size PowerPro is everyone running for pulling cranks?
I use around 15 lb test mostly on my cranking rods.

Yes, I retrieve most of the snagged cranks, but they often run very poorly afterwards and are problematic in trying to re-calibrate their running.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
I use PowerPro for jigging style applications. For cranking though, I use cheaper 15lb braid like KastKing SuperPower mentioned above. Works great for me I haven't had any issues.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
20 to match the leadcore 18lb test. i just run 20 or 30 on everything. If i just fished sak i would probably change to lighter
I run 15 mainly because in the fall it can get cranks down to 30+ easier and with a little less line out. I don’t use leadcore or snap weights

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
I run 15 mainly because in the fall it can get cranks down to 30+ easier and with a little less line out. I don’t use leadcore or snap weights
What cranks are you running that deep without assistance? Free divers?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
How similar is the Kast King Super Power to PowerPro? Or is their next level line more similar? Price is good, I need to respool 8 reels.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
Only real difference I've noticed between the KastKing Super Power braid and PowerPro, is the KastKing gets more wind knots when casting.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
What cranks are you running that deep without assistance? Free divers?
75% of the time reef runners. I’ll throw others in to see if they like something else. Some of which are deep down husky jerks, hot N Tots, big salmo deep divers, also several old deep diving lures they don’t sell anymore made by mann’s, storm, etc. But the reef runners have always out produced the others 10-1 every time. And what blows my mind is scheels don’t have any reef runners. They don’t produce as well earlier in the year as they do in the fall. Which I’m sure is due to the lazy slow wobble and fish seem to like a faster tighter action earlier in the year

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reef runners can be bearcats to tune but can be pretty deadly. Used them a lot up at Tobin.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Remember the days of mono? 20lb used to be "magnum": IMO 4/15 and 6/20 is all the "average" freshwater angler will ever need. Daiwa used to have an add boasting about a 376lb tiger shark on 6lb mono...

I exclusively use 6/20 and 4/15 (mostly PP), bbl swivels, Sharpies and Palomars. I'm very happy with the state of line since '94.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also, PP used to be the cheapest: If I have to spool a reel I'll be again shopping.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88