College debt~

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
My bro lives out west ---- they took a public school 11 and 12th grade and pushed the kids to EWU to finish hs/start college. EWU tuition is similar to NDSU--- tax savings per kid vs public schools was over 10k a kid per year. Kids only had 2 or less years and they were rady to get into the work force.

Kids that are lucky enough to live close to a college town can combine HS and college classes here in ND and save a lot of money. Or now days, maybe even with remote learning.
Both our boys took college classes during their senior year of HS. Worth checking out if it's something your kids might want to do. It sure gives them a head start when they start college.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Kids took the classes in HS and enroll as sophomore or close to it their first year. My first year at NDSU was $800 for all and last year was $1000, beer included. 64 to 68. Worked at home on farm and parents paid all. First year for my kids was $5-6000 for all but spending and last kid was $12,000 for all but beer monies.

At one time going to college, living at home off the parents and doing construction all summer one could pay for the college.

One time a degree meant something but now they have so many mixed up degrees i am not sure what kind of job one could get with those degrees. Changed a lot and not sure where it will end but it will end. db

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We paid off $160K of student debt in 3.5 years while we watched all of our friends buy houses, go on vacation, and buy new vehicles and toys. Now those people will get a check in the mail. What an absolute slap in the face. I can't express how fucking angry this makes me. I get it Migrator Man is joking, but it makes me so angry that if someone said that to my face, I would likely come absolutely uncunted. Like pull a weapon and use it type of angry. How are the military folks feeling that sacrificed to get college paid for? I'd suggest folks getting their student loan checks tread pretty lightly around the military and working class that just had a fat pile of shit thrown in their face. Just dividing this country more and more by the day to buy votes.

It almost makes me just as angry that the republican party hasn't even proposed putting an end to this shit and just lets the colleges charge whatever they want and lets unknowing student take as much federally-insured debt as they want. At least put an annual limit of like $10K of federally-insured student debt. I bet you would see colleges lower prices and clean up their fat real quick. Don't count on it though. Crooks. The complacent ones in DC are almost just as much to blame.
Yeah I agree it is a huge slap in the face to fiscally responsible Americans and our military member who had to risk their life to get free college.

I mainly only rib my liberal friends who paid off their loans with the fact that they are now paying off my loans, especially my liberal service members who actually had to make a sacrifice to get their schooling free. Not sure how you could be a liberal and serve in the military. They voted for this nonsense so they should be fine with my bragging!

I have purposely not paid on any loans during this deferment period because I knew this was coming.

- - - Updated - - -

Well for those of you with debt or kids with debt, remind them that this 10k gets taxed at the end of the year as regular income. Just make sure you dont get caught with your pants down and owe the IRS more!!

I read it is not taxable.

Most of these people don’t work hard enough to get a good paying job so I doubt many of them will even fill out the forgiveness application. How many people actually send in a mail in rebate?

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm like everyone else. Acts like this are BS but the good news is that I don't see any way that this will ever go in effect. Will be a bribe for elections for awhile but will never pass the Supreme Court.
Another issue for me is that it's only for the students who can't afford to pay back the loan. That's for those poor people who make less than
$140,000/year or $250,000 for a married couple. I can see why those are in the poor house.
There is now a requirement in ND schools that every student must take a class related to finance, checking, etc. Perhaps a point of emphasis should be the definition of "LOAN." Make sure they all understand that LOAN does not mean free money, it means you receive money that you have to pay back, with interest.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thk7rm26y6UF.jpg

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm like everyone else. Acts like this are BS but the good news is that I don't see any way that this will ever go in effect. Will be a bribe for elections for awhile but will never pass the Supreme Court.
Another issue for me is that it's only for the students who can't afford to pay back the loan. That's for those poor people who make less than
$140,000/year or $250,000 for a married couple. I can see why those are in the poor house.
There is now a requirement in ND schools that every student must take a class related to finance, checking, etc. Perhaps a point of emphasis should be the definition of "LOAN." Make sure they all understand that LOAN does not mean free money, it means you receive money that you have to pay back, with interest.

Agreed. Even Pelosi called bullshit.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
We paid off $160K of student debt in 3.5 years while we watched all of our friends buy houses, go on vacation, and buy new vehicles and toys. Now those people will get a check in the mail. What an absolute slap in the face. I can't express how fucking angry this makes me. I get it Migrator Man is joking, but it makes me so angry that if someone said that to my face, I would likely come absolutely uncunted. Like pull a weapon and use it type of angry. How are the military folks feeling that sacrificed to get college paid for? I'd suggest folks getting their student loan checks tread pretty lightly around the military and working class that just had a fat pile of shit thrown in their face. Just dividing this country more and more by the day to buy votes.

It almost makes me just as angry that the republican party hasn't even proposed putting an end to this shit and just lets the colleges charge whatever they want and lets unknowing student take as much federally-insured debt as they want. At least put an annual limit of like $10K of federally-insured student debt. I bet you would see colleges lower prices and clean up their fat real quick. Don't count on it though. Crooks. The complacent ones in DC are almost just as much to blame.

Uncunted. That one is getting added to my dictionary.

Now back to your regular programming

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Complete fucking shitshow. Those chumps who didn't take the loans offered because they didn't want a bunch of debt...those chumps who did take loans, but then cut back on everything else for the next 10 years to pay them off...screw those patsies. We want to make sure irresponsible behavior continues to be rewarded.

The extra kick in the balls is the Pell Grant ...if you got a Pell Grant, which these days equates to around $28,000 over 4 years, you get $20,000 forgiven instead of $10,000.

Makes perfect sense.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well this biden "cocksucker" gotta go,this f-tard is a walking ,mumbling disaster,everything he touches turns to shit.

so pelosi claims the prez doesn't have the authority to pencil in this bullshit pay for votes scheme rather this deal takes the "
act of congress" hope this is true.

Tillerman2095

Founding Member
Founding Member
I worked all the way through high school to save up for a 2-year degree. I had enough dough to pay it all off including books and housing. Couldn't get a grant because mom and dad made to much money. I didn't go to any pristine kind of school. Worked every day and some weekends to make it. This free loading bs going around with the younger crowd make me want to puke.

Not too many younger folks want to work hard for much. Just want a hand-out free, free, and freer. Wake up America this is getting bad in a really quick way, and it doesn't look good.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too think this is BS. If in fact, this comes to pass, then I want my check for $30K for each of my three kids (not college age yet).

A big problem with people not wanting to work, is that there are a TON of parents out there who aren't making their kids go out and get jobs. A ton. My 15 yr old had her first job this summer, and now that that summer job is over, she's gathering applications to work in retail (she turns 16 in November). I'm more than happy with her decision to go out and get a job.

Yet, a lot of her friends aren't being asked to go out and work. Their parents are fine with them just staying home.

You wonder where all the kids are, that used to work at McDonalds or the grocery store? They're sitting at home with their parents, who are continuing to pay for everything while the kids screw off.

By the time we look at politicians to fix our kids, it's too late. Good grief. The politicians piss their pants before undoing the zipper. Do I really want THEM to show my kids how to live?

jmtc

Jaykay

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
How the heck can this go through without Congress approval.
Man I could spit tacks with all his B.S. vote buying. Stay on vacation so you quit spending our money.

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Within 2 minutes after I wake up in the morning I've mumbled Fuck Joe Biden at least 5 times.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
How the heck can this go through without Congress approval.
Man I could spit tacks with all his B.S. vote buying. Stay on vacation so you quit spending our money.

This goes back to HEROES act of 2003. Signed by Bush --- if you look at the law it was designed to help vets etc with student loan debt. The small print though allowed Biden to sneek in and do the damage. The law needs to be amended -- by the time it is it will be to late. I think the tide was know which direction it was going and imo he did it before the tide goes out in November. I dont think its going to help the dems that much. These "adults" didnt see a cash infusion. Everysince a baby boomer or a descendent of a boomer has lived on this earth - they never look at gross check --- they just look at net. Net results in no cash flow change at the current time. They wont remember this at the poles. They will remember 401k plan and the fact that they cant buy a car/home/rent for what they could a few years ago. This reminds me of the 8k or so that they threw to home buyers back when --- that was a bush thing --- Two parties that act like one. Third party please --- that is the only way out of this mess.

here is the line in heroes act that allowed it:
  • suffered economic hardship as a direct result of a war or other military operation or national emergency, as determined by the Secretary

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The wife and I worked theough college, borrowed as little as possible and pd our loans off years ago and my son will be paying his off doing exactly the same. I think this plan is bs but it's no different than any farmer getting subsidies or taking crop insurance payment. If any of you got a ppp loan you can't say anything either. And stop the vote buying rant because biden sure as hell isn't the first and won't be the last to buy votes, the orange jelly bean tried several times to buy votes

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yup, all the crooked govt. has to do is declare something a “national emergency” and they can do whatever they want. I’m guessing we will forever have at least one thing at any given time declared an active “national emergency” from this point forward.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
for what its worth i disagree with this but i was told by an elder gentlemen yesterday who happens to be a retired farmer. that he remembers the federal govt buying down farmers loans to help keep them in business, i guess how is this any different???

again not looking to start a fight just throwing another perspective into it that maybe is otherwise pretty hush hush

- - - Updated - - -

im part of the fuck joe Biden crowd too believe me but there has been mis use of govt spending long before this senile POS took office lets be honest

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
A big problem with people not wanting to work, is that there are a TON of parents out there who aren't making their kids go out and get jobs. A ton. My 15 yr old had her first job this summer, and now that that summer job is over, she's gathering applications to work in retail (she turns 16 in November). I'm more than happy with her decision to go out and get a job.

Yet, a lot of her friends aren't being asked to go out and work. Their parents are fine with them just staying home.
Jaykay

A buddy of mine recently said "here in ND we are all Republicans but we are raising Democrats".....because we give our kids everything and don't make them work. He might not be wrong.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33