commission to supervise the NDGF

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
What does this have to do with this bill?
States who ban baiting are still fine feeding tightly congregating deer herds. Both are just as bad or benign. WY feeds deer all winter on the elk refuge but bans baiting everywhere while the deer eat in the same hay and alfalfa fields year after year

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m not against feeding or baiting. I’m against greasy politicians trying to take over game management from the G&F because it’s a slippery slope.
bravo said,

"My point is I am anti-any square headed schmuck politician taking power from actual professional biologists.

31. I did vote. I helped elect Rohr and Holle. I don’t consider either schmucks. Why do you ask?"

bravo, everything emboldened in black is what you have said.

The First Amendment to the Constitution guarantees five things:
Freedom of speech
Freedom of the press
Freedom of religion
The right to assemble.
The right to petition.

bravo, your name calling of legislators is unwarranted. The people of ND are speaking.

The Missouri Department of Conservation is in control. Using CWD they have everyone's hair on fire. It is now mandatory for every hunter who harvests a deer in 34 counties to take it to a check station to have it tested.

https://www.joplinglobe.com/sports/...cle_cc21440c-57da-11ed-a4d8-6b1368feef7b.html

• During Nov. 12–13 (modern firearms season), hunters who harvest deer in CWD Management Zone counties — except Gasconade, Knox, St. Charles and Warren — must take the deer or deer head on the day of harvest to an MDC mandatory CWD sampling station.

• The use of grain
, salt products, minerals and other consumable products used to attract deer is prohibited year-round in CWD Management Zone counties.

• Deer harvested from CWD Management Zone counties must be reported through Telecheck before they can be removed from the county of harvest.

• Hunters must follow carcass-movement restrictions for deer harvested in a CWD Management Zone county.

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I appreciate all of the input and dialogue that you guys have to offer in regards to this topic, lots of good points to think about. Maybe perhaps an elected director would have been the way to approach this and should be looked at in the future? We talked about that option initially as well, but knew that many states implemented commissions and like I mentioned before, heard rumblings of a proposed bill with the intent of making the director an elected position, so we stuck with the idea of a commission. Anyway, here is an update on today's committee meeting:

REPORT OF STANDING COMMITTEE SB 2368: Energy and Natural Resources Committee (Sen. Patten, Chairman) recommends DO PASS (4 YEAS, 1 NAY, 1 ABSENT AND NOT VOTING). SB 2368 was placed on the Eleventh order on the calendar. This bill does not affect workforce development.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of grease on both sides! I don’t think the baiting ban was a good decision because we haven’t been able to trust the experts to manage our deer herd before. The legislature is here to overrule the bureaucracy when it gets out of control. We don’t need politicians involved in every GnF decision but they should be fixing the wrongs. I also don’t want game commissioners because we know who runs the show in the states that have them…… not the sportsmen.

That may be the most concise and correct political statement that I have ever read.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rather than building bigger government , I'd be in favor of utilizing the resources we already have and give our county commissioners some teeth in some of these decisions. Keep it to a local scale where we all know best for our community not what an appointed persons opinion is.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Written testimony was 3 in support to 5 in opposition. Zero in support showed up in person. I’m not sure how many in opposition testified but it was at least 3. Those who wrote the bill didn’t even show up. The bill should have stopped there. Yet the committee forced it through with a do pass. Unreal.

Am I wrong with calling that greasy?

Last edited:

gillraker

Tourney fishermen are mad that the GnF started charging tournaments 10% of the pot which has scared away the big walleye touring circuits. The big $$$ behind these walleye tournaments don’t want to pay up to utilize the resource!
I am for the 10% fee for the tournaments that should be catch and release format, catch and kill tournaments the fee should be 50% of the pot!!

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
Tourney fishermen are mad that the GnF started charging tournaments 10% of the pot which has scared away the big walleye touring circuits. The big $$$ behind these walleye tournaments don’t want to pay up to utilize the resource!
Looks like NWT is in DL this fall, hopefully the bill doesn't pass

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So who kills more fish tourney guys or people filling freezers?

gillraker

Most definately the average recreational anglers "kill more fish" as a general rule, but most also release the majority of the larger (female) class fish the tournament guys keep, for chest thumping and on lookers at the weigh-ins to cheer about..

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most definately the average recreational anglers "kill more fish" as a general rule, but most also release the majority of the larger (female) class fish the tournament guys keep, for chest thumping and on lookers at the weigh-ins to cheer about..
Haha you havent been to the fish cleaning station lately and its already been said about a billion times on here that its the 20-24 inch fish that produce the best. Its just easy to blame them vs looking in the mirror.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh good the tourney vs weekender debate again. This is always productive and minds are changed every time we have it😂😂

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe perhaps an elected director would have been the way to approach this and should be looked at in the future? We talked about that option initially as well, but knew that many states implemented commissions and like I mentioned before, heard rumblings of a proposed bill with the intent of making the director an elected position, so we stuck with the idea of a commission. Anyway, here is an update on today's committee meeting:

I like this idea a lot, but with one stipulation. Since the game and fish is funded directly by licenses and fees, only those who purchased a hunting, fishing or boat license are eligible to vote for the director. I believe that would bring the accountability we need from the director and therefore the department.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
2368 listed as failed on NDGF bill tracker.

During the 2023-24 interim, legislative management shall consider studying the laws governing the Game and Fish Department and the possibility of implementing an appointed game and fish commission to supervise the department. Energy and Natural Resources Committee heard 02/02, recommended 4-1 do pass. Failed senate.8-36

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most definately the AVERAGE recrtional anglers
Average? New knees and neuropathy have kept me out of my boat for three years. I hope to make it out this year. I and most of my friends still buy fishing license every year, but for the past ten years we maybe averaged a limit maybe two limits of 14 to 15 inch fish. People who are young, love to fish, and make it out often need to think beyond their own personal experience.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Average? New knees and neuropathy have kept me out of my boat for three years. I hope to make it out this year. I and most of my friends still buy fishing license every year, but for the past ten years we maybe averaged a limit maybe two limits of 14 to 15 inch fish. People who are young, love to fish, and make it out often need to think beyond their own personal experience.
I know of a group of 70-80 year olds down here who are double dipping freezer filling . They are retried and have nothing better to do all summer. A couple got pontoons they leave in the marina so you don’t even have to un load and load.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe the freezer fillers. Out of 8 cc old geezers I know in GF 2 are freezer fillers.
MHO. ND needs to manage the resource better! Remember how the Perch were on DL many years ago. Sure I like fishing and eating fish just as much as the other guy. However foremost is the experience you have with the kids and the grandchildren.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 74
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31