Deck ?? Stain or Paint

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
We built a deck last fall and they said to wait a year to stain it. It's green treat from Menards. We're looking to stain and or paint. I'm not sure what's the best option we want it to last.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed,stain, quaility waterproof stain,honey gold is a nice looking stain on faded green treated.

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stain your deck. I just did a stain on my green treat this summer. Used Cabot stain and highly recommend it. Applied nice and really beads up the water.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whatever you do don't paint or use solid or semi solid stain on your deck. My 31 year old cedar deck has held up due to maintenance. I used semitransparent stain until the last few years. Now I use Cabots Australian Timber oil natural. It lasts two years for sure. Between my brothers and I we have stained several hundred decks. Cabots works.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Oil and if you want some color get one with color in it. db

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I were King Of Decks:

They would all be made of polymer boards, struts and support beams(?)--I'd command all grandfathered structures slathered in TruOil after sanding then texturized appropriately. The next step would involve "rattle can" paint. I've found Thompson's Water Seal is mostly expensive bullshit.

If your deck receives a lot of sun/weather it will become a crisp source of tinder. You should be ever ready to replace 2X4 slats and be vigilant of looming strut failure; exponentially the higher the deck; dependant of age and type of wood:

My experience is all with pine: Your experiences with oak, cherry and walnut may vary: Also, holy shit.

IMO a walnut/free floated bbl is best served by TruOil and a few slashes of automotive paint.

Decks and gunstocks may have differences:

That is all.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Realistically: Sand, clearcoat "stain' and paint with Thompson's Water "Seal". The above brittleness of boards is accurate. I still find merit with my above ^^^^.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oil and if you want some color get one with color in it. db
Oil only. The Cabots has a amber tint to it. Not enough tint so that it shows lap marks, but looks like cedar. I use a water based stain on the railings. Sherwin used to have a cedartoner that holds up well. But they dropped it. Anyway for railings oil always works I just don,t like the smell.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stain your deck. I just did a stain on my green treat this summer. Used Cabot stain and highly recommend it. Applied nice and really beads up the water.
^^^^^^^^^ what he says been happy alot of colors. I use PPG Proluxe or Sikkens for cedar on front of house is very durable.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
That Proluxe looks like a winner. Sikkens has always been a winner. $$$ . The toners are easier to apply without lapping marks.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Use a good quality stain and don't think it's going to last forever. My thoughts are lifespan is no more than 5 years and sooner to keep looking fresh. 2-3 years is probably the best.

Next time for me I'm going to replace all the wooden spindles. God I hate staining those. Use a metal spindle that doesn't require paint.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_5822.jpeg
IMG_5886.jpeg

old Sikkens new PPG

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Menards apparently carries it. But probably not in stock.

camper

Founding Member
Founding Member
After I had a new deck built a trusted paint dealer in Fargo told me if I use Benjamin Moore I would only have to stain every 5-6 years. After 2 years it looked like shit. I asked why he told me 5-6 and he said in a more moderate climate that’s the normal but here in ND, 2-3 is average. I’m not buying from him again. Should have gone maintenance free.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84