Deer summer sausage

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was looking at doing some deer/beef summer sausage and realized the recipe I had used before was bookmarked in my old phone and is gone. Curious if anyone has a good one they'd be willing to share, I've been looking through a few that I've found but we all know how good some are, and just how bad some are as well.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i think we just doctored up uncle joshs mix from our local grocery store last time we did it. 60%d deer, 20% pork, 20% beef. smoke, bring to temp, chill in ice bath, take off casings and package. pretty sure there are better mixes than uncle josh though. bet mossymo has some. add some cheese and japs.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Made up my first batch in many years a few weeks ago. I just used the hi-mountain seasoning. smoked to temp, cooled in a cooler with water and ice and packaged. I also used meat ratio's similar to espringers. I have no complaints about the hi-mountain seasoning. Next time I will most likely add some cheese.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used to add cheese to our country style, it doesn't keep as well or long as not adding cheese. Seemed it would get an awful taste rather early.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wont add cheese anymore also. Only seasoning I have used is uncle joshs. I'm going to try the stuff Mossy came out with this year.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does one smoke the entire time until temp? I have upright cooler I converted to a smoker with the Bradley smoke generator and an electric milk house heater run off line voltage stat, not sure exactly if I should run the smoke the entire batch.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used high temp from dean's meat market, was awesome the first few time out of the freezer, but after a month or so it was actually gross. Does keep or something, not sure. The non cheese stuff last for what seems like years

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Uncle Josh's with 1/2 pork, 1/2 venison and it never lasts more than 7 months. We're actually out of summer sausage right now I think. :(

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used high temp cheese and was not happy with the moisture it put in the meat. With summer sausage I put smoke to it for a about 4 hours then finish without and yes to the cure all sausage should have cure in it if u are going to smoke it.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used high temp cheese and was not happy with the moisture it put in the meat. With summer sausage I put smoke to it for a about 4 hours then finish without and yes to the cure all sausage should have cure in it if you are going to smoke it.

Right on cure; I usually use instacure because all of the commercial seasonings are to salty for our tastes. I don't like how the hi temp stuff affects the meat either.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Uncle Josh's with 1/2 pork, 1/2 venison and it never lasts more than 7 months. We're actually out of summer sausage right now I think. :(

As luck would have it, you're kiddo bailed you out of your no deer problem last Sat. (grin)

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Besides what has already been mentioned...a person might want to kick it up a notch and add wild rice to your batch. Just saying.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
As luck would have it, you're kiddo bailed you out of your no deer problem last Sat. (grin)

And I am VERY grateful to her as I can't seem to buy a buck when I'm sitting in my bow stand.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
My buddy always dehydrated jalapenos he grew then we ran 'em through a coffee grinder to powder. Used that instead of fresh minced and got good flavor and heat without any of the odd chunks that don't soften up or extra water cooking out and causing texture issues. A tsp or 3 in a bag of tater chips was pretty good too.

Sometime I am going to get the bacteria cultures to ferment the meat prior to stuffing and smoking.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
My buddy always dehydrated jalapenos he grew then we ran 'em through a coffee grinder to powder. Used that instead of fresh minced and got good flavor and heat without any of the odd chunks that don't soften up or extra water cooking out and causing texture issues. A tsp or 3 in a bag of tater chips was pretty good too.

Sometime I am going to get the bacteria cultures to ferment the meat prior to stuffing and smoking.

I'm not a pepper expert. Isn't that home made cayenne?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 11
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5