Dick's Sporting Goods in Bismarck

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure there are people on this site who will shop at, work for, and accept advertising dollars from those Dick's. No problem with that, business is business. Just a quick reminder of how they treat their business partners:

http://www.guns.com/2012/12/27/dicks-cancels-troy-carbine-pre-orders-troy-customers-irate/

[h=1]cancels Troy Carbine pre-orders; Troy, customers irate[/h]
For Black Friday, Dick’s, partnering with Troy Defense, offered customers an outstanding deal on Troy Carbines, just $800. The going rate for these rifles is normally around $1,100-$1,200.
Advertisement
The Troy Carbine was a good deal at more than a thousand dollars; available in two options, an all black pre-ban version for states with rifle prohibitions and a black and tan model for everyone else.
The Troy Carbine was complete with premium aftermarket furniture, including a free-floating modular Alpha rail, Battle Ax CQB stock and grip, an enhanced trigger guard, Troy backup iron sightsand a Claymore standoff device/muzzle brake. All this built on machined billet receivers, to boot.
Accordingly, Dick’s sold out of their in-store stock in an instant. They took back orders for future rifles that Troy was expecting to fill.
The carbine was also a Dick’s exclusive, and Troy’s first complete rifle. But, following the Sandy Hook shooting, Dick’s has announced a suspension of all “modern sporting rifles” sales. This means the Troy Carbine.
While many assumed this suspension was going to be temporary, Dick’s has sent out notices to customers who placed back orders informing them that “Our records indicate you have placed an order for a Troy Carbine. At this time, we are unable to fulfill orders of this item. Your credit card will automatically be credited for the full purchase price or, if you paid by check, cash or debit, your refund check is enclosed.
“We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and do appreciate your patronage, therefore, enclosed you will find a $100 gift card.”
These refunds were sent out to customers without Troy’s knowledge that Dick’s was cancelling the order, and began to arrive on Christmas Eve. And while Troy is looking for new avenues to sell their carbines, they won’t be able to offer them at the same prices without first finding another vendor with the selling power of Dick’s.

“Troy’s pricing to DSG was based upon volume sales. It is unlikely that pricing to any other outlet in the future will support the pricing granted to DSG. Troy understands the anger of certain DSG customers whose purchases have been cancelled—you got a great price from DSG. However, Troy, itself, cannot come anywhere close to offering the Carbine at the price DSG was offering it. DSG devalued and diluted Troy’s brand when it offered for sale the Carbine at a steeply discounted price during Thanksgiving week. As a result of the sale price set by DSG, DSG over-sold and over-promised its inventory. Nonetheless, the current ill-will could have been avoided had DSG not terminated modern sporting rifle sales, promptly canceled over-promised orders, and forthrightly communicated with Troy.”
Dick’s isn’t “unable to fulfill orders,” they just dropped them. In doing so they affected not just Troy but their customers, customers who are more than just firearms enthusiasts and deal-hunters, as GearScout is quick to remind, with a letter from a reader, officer Andrew C.
“What makes this situation even more frustrating is that I am a law enforcement officer and purchased this rifle specifically to use while on duty, as my agency allows us to carry rifles, but cannot afford to issue one to every member.”
Dick’s isn’t the only company to drop guns, customers and businessfollowing the Sandy Hook shooting. Time will tell how this will affect their business in the long term, but something tells us that by taking away people’s premium ARs, this year, right now, is not likely to win them many new friends, no matter how many gift cards they send out. Gun owners have long memories for this sort of treatment.
We can only hope that Troy finds themselves a nice, big vendor capable of matching their previous sales expectations, and soon. Honestly, it shouldn’t be too hard to find a company not currently in want of AR-15 carbines.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
dsg blows. i'll go there even less than scheels.

support small business, buy online

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember quite well. Which is why I was surprised to see them open up a store in the middle of gun-loving America.

b2down

Founding Member
Founding Member
DSG better cater to the shooters and hunters in N.D. If they plan on selling kayaks and rock climbing gear they probably won't be in business very long.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found a flyer on my door yesterday advertising dicks opening event. There was a coupon attached to the bottom of the flyer, but by the time I got home, someone had already removed it for me. I didnt file a police report tho, cuz you can get the same coupon online at their website.... Silly people.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
never seen prices that impressed me at Dicks. They just opened up a Sportsmans Warehouse in Western ND. It's a joke. Full retail on everything. Don't have anything in stock that one would use in ND for hunting or fishing. Little to no walleye gear. Hunting stuff is a joke. If you want to fly fish in ND then you'll be in heaven lol. Or elk hunt lol. I'll keep buying from the small bait/gun shop in town that's been here forever.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
You gotta wonder what kind of loss they take at some stores. I'm sure they have ones that operate in the black and ones in the red. It's close to work so I'm sure I'll spend some time in it. I put pretty much everything on my scheels card so it's tough to buy fishing and hunting stuff elsewhere. They generally have everything I need. I'd really be happy if they carried gorilla harnesses though.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the name, but Scheels gets my business 96% of the time, at least on big purchases. I shop local as much as possible, runnings in Dickinson is pretty good, Andrus is good, but with Scheels points on the charge card, and them doubling the warrantee on anything you put on the card its pretty hard to beat.
Plus I have several good friends, who are good guys that work for Scheels, and it seems they give back to the communities pretty fricken good.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the name, but Scheels gets my business 96% of the time, at least on big purchases. I shop local as much as possible, runnings in Dickinson is pretty good, Andrus is good, but with Scheels points on the charge card, and them doubling the warrantee on anything you put on the card its pretty hard to beat.
Plus I have several good friends, who are good guys that work for Scheels, and it seems they give back to the communities pretty fricken good.
Excellent point. I guess I can overpay a little at Scheels given they are sponsoring sports complexes like it's going out of style. That means my taxes don't get raised to pay for these facilities.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
You gotta wonder what kind of loss they take at some stores. I'm sure they have ones that operate in the black and ones in the red. It's close to work so I'm sure I'll spend some time in it. I put pretty much everything on my scheels card so it's tough to buy fishing and hunting stuff elsewhere. They generally have everything I need. I'd really be happy if they carried gorilla harnesses though.

You don't keep a losing horse. I suspect they make money in a given time-frame or are cut. That would be my guess.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=2][/h]rhe·tor·i·cal
rəˈtôrək(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: rhetorical

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
THis must be an eastern thing, cause when we westerners ask questions, we actually want answers...haha

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76