Favorite Ice Fishing rods/reels

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Elastration

I noticed that some bait shops used a elastration banding tool to keep air longer in the bags for minnows, so I thought that would work great on my fishing rods. So I went to Home of Economy, picked up a package of rubber bands and the pliers for about 15 dollars. I couldn't be happier two on the front and two on the back of the reel.
1024pxElastrator_ringsJPG-1.jpg

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I have been a die hard Jason Mitchell meatstick user for some years now but the ends don't hold up all that well, I can get maybe a season of use from one rod then the end wants to start splitting. So with that said of the custom rods out there ( Thorne Bros, tuned up, or etc) which rod most resembles the meatstick?

Last edited:

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I have been a die hard Jason Mitchell meatstick user for some years now but the ends don't hold up all that well, I can get maybe a season of use from one rod then the end wants to start splitting. So with that said of the custom rods out there ( Thorne Bros, tuned up, or etc) which rod most resembles the meatstick?

I'm pretty sure the JM Meatstick was based off the success of the Thorne Bros. Power Noodle. Could be wrong, but I feel like as soon as TB came out with theirs, JM followed suit.

Anyway, I have a Power Noodle and I dig it. I'm a diehard spring bobber guy for pennies, but those things suck out of a shack. The Power Noodle is super sensitive like a spring bobber, but you don't have to worry about it freezing up.

I think they even make a more stout Power Noodle now to use as a dead stick.

- - - Updated - - -

*pannies not pennies

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had several JM Meatstick rods until last year when I bought a DH AL Dente. I bought it over the TB power noodle because I liked the idea of the large fly rod guides to prevent ice up and I didn't think I needed to spend the extra $30 on REC guides for a noodle rod. I have been really happy with the rod. The tip is great for detecting bites and it has plenty of backbone to handle larger fish.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
tucr bullwhip appears to have the same action/idea as the jm meatstick. Maybe even a bit more backbone. I was looking at them the other week. tucr's sure seem nice but their handles leave something to be desired imo for a 90 dollar rod. (personal preference). To be fair thorne's stock grips suck too.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wished I ice fished enough to know what my setups are. Short rods with small reels is about all I can tell you. With ice Fireline.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel the need to have something more sensitive than a medium rod in my case. I've looked at the bullwhips as well.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel the need to have something more sensitive than a medium rod in my case. I've looked at the bullwhips as well.

the quicktip has a darn nice action. its still a "feel the bite" rod but the tip is very fast.

- - - Updated - - -

where as the bullwhip is more of a visual "see the bite" rod. I do better looking at the flasher and feeling the bite but thats just me

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a thorne brothers power noodle that really does help me catch more panfish. It has a very sensitive tip and a solid backbone. For crappies, bluegills, and perch it is fanfu*kingtastic. I have seen days where the bites are so light that not even a small bobber will work. The powernoodle can get you a limit on days where nobody else can get them hooked up, especially on perch in 40 + fow. To maximize the sensitivity i use 4 lb crystal fireline. As far as a reel goes i like small sized shimano symetre's for the excellent drag in cold weather.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
the quicktip has a darn nice action. its still a "feel the bite" rod but the tip is very fast.

- - - Updated - - -

where as the bullwhip is more of a visual "see the bite" rod. I do better looking at the flasher and feeling the bite but thats just me

Agreed. There's $200 in scheels cards slowly burning my junk drawer down at the house.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good ol' Dave Genz with the big, fat cork handle. Tape it on with electrical tape like an ice rod should be!

What about the custom? Dont care to mention that? :;:huh

- - - Updated - - -

I noticed that some bait shops used a elastration banding tool to keep air longer in the bags for minnows, so I thought that would work great on my fishing rods. So I went to Home of Economy, picked up a package of rubber bands and the pliers for about 15 dollars. I couldn't be happier two on the front and two on the back of the reel.
1024px-Elastrator_rings.JPG

Better hide this from your wife when she gets mad at you. You might wake up ball-less.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Love me some nanofil !! I check my knots often and have yet to have an issue
I have the usual 26 to 28 inch rods from various companies. I did break down this fall and got the 13 Fishing 37" widow maker. Can't wait to try that baby out on walleyes, salmon, northerns, etc.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where's the best place to get this fancy self-fusing silicone tape?

Attachments

image.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93