Favorite Ice Fishing rods/reels

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
The problem is for jigging deep 40 fow plus, u will miss out lots of bites that require a no stretch line to see. Im not talking feel im talking being able to see the rod tip barely move.

Spring bobbers?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Suffix 832 4# with 10' of p line floroclear 3# tied together with a blood knot. I think it's the best of both worlds.

- - - Updated - - -

Also is there anyone in the local area that makes custom rods? I would like to support someone from ND if possible.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the fluoroclear because they don't (can't?) make a fluorescent line in pure fluorocarbon - I gotta see the line or it drives me insane in the membrane.

Why not put fluorescent dye right into the PTFE like they do mono? I am guessing the fluorescent dye molecules don't entirely dig the PTFE matrix. When added to PTFE line they probably don't go into solid solution. Rather they transfer their excited state energy to the PTFE matrix immediately after excitation in order to get back to their beloved ground state - rather then emitting fluorescence.

Fluorescent dye molecules do fluoresce with tremendous quantum efficiency when in the nylon solid matrix (traditional mono) however - so the PTFE coated nylon (p-line's fluoroclear) delivers the hybrid performance I need. Fluorocarbon behavior with mono fluorescence.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spring bobbers?

I do not like spring bobbers, I do like rods with tips as sensitive as a spring bobber though. The problem is that cheap spring bobber tip rods also have a weak backbone. To get the light tip and a decent backbone costs more money.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the fluoroclear because they don't (can't?) make a fluorescent line in pure fluorocarbon - I gotta see the line or it drives me insane in the membrane.

Why not put fluorescent dye right into the PTFE like they do mono? I am guessing the fluorescent dye molecules don't entirely dig the PTFE matrix. When added to PTFE line they probably don't go into solid solution. Rather they transfer their excited state energy to the PTFE matrix immediately after excitation in order to get back to their beloved ground state - rather then emitting fluorescence.

Fluorescent dye molecules do fluoresce with tremendous quantum efficiency when in the nylon solid matrix (traditional mono) however - so the PTFE coated nylon (p-line's fluoroclear) delivers the hybrid performance I need. Fluorocarbon behavior with mono fluorescence.

download.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do not like spring bobbers, I do like rods with tips as sensitive as a spring bobber though. The problem is that cheap spring bobber tip rods also have a weak backbone. To get the light tip and a decent backbone costs more money.

who makes the best one right now?

- - - Updated - - -

Couple Stellas worth of cocktail napkin drawings and you'll go "oh - geez, that's way simpler than your BS made it sound".

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member

I bought a Cabelas medium action, fast tip combo this last weekend. Felt great in the store, just like you described here. Also going to try spring bobbers this year if we ever get ice I trust enough to step on it.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have seen some different types of spring bobbers, I would like to see someone's made out of titanium guitar strings, also there are some that are made of a long spring.

free-shippingfree-shipping-Hannabach-Hannah-Bach-s-classical-guitar-strings-950-MHT-tension-in-t.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
DSC00773.jpg

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gillgetter and thorne brothers both offer a rod blank called the powernoodle. This rod is the real deal for light bites and i have pulled in walleyes up to 27 inches on it.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member

d6f.jpg

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i like the pro tackle 42" rod after using them i cant go back to the shorties.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
With a 42 inch rod you can pirate another hole without even getting off the bucket haha.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
With a 42 inch rod you can pirate another hole without even getting off the bucket haha.

I left that part out but another great thing. Alot of run and gun on oahe out here i like not having to bend over moving from hole to hole and sitting in the side by side jigging works good. Bro in law got me a 28" thorne borthers this weekend for being in his wedding will try that one out this year

riverfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have to keep buying the cheap ones seems like anytime i spend money on a good ice fishing rod the flag goes up out side and the rod in the fish house goes down the hole wile i am out side

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dude you need to check this new thing out they just invented called a rod holder.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Suffix 832 4# with 10' of p line floroclear 3# tied together with a blood knot. I think it's the best of both worlds.

- - - Updated - - -

Also is there anyone in the local area that makes custom rods? I would like to support someone from ND if possible.

So does anyone know who makes custom fishing rods in North Dakota. If nobody wants to say on the message board PM

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 193
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93