Favorite Ice Fishing rods/reels

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
same - fast and easy even wearing gloves - easier than clinch knot for sure

nice thing about palomar is that you can go crazy with big loops - use up a few inches of line each time you retie to change lures or see some wear/tear

I also use those little loopy fast-change flyfishing snaps for fast changing of colors while ice fishing (like the ones that come with hali's I think?)

but I've had those fail - I think it's because I use a hemostat to hold onto them when I tie them on

Quickly_stainless_steel_change_fly_snap.jpg_200x200.jpg

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I rarely tie direct. I switch out lures too often to waste my time. That and I use a palomar knot almost exclusively and trying to loop around trebles is a pain in the arse. Quick snaps for life.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's either Thorne Bros or my own custom rods made exactly the way I want them for me.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have always used the double Palomar on nano. Normally I tie directly to the lures or use a short piece of floro carbon leader.
can't stand the white nano as it just looks like a huge rope in the water to me. I stay with the green all of the time. Yesterday I was tying directly to jigging raps and I never have an issue with it...this is going on three years now. Maybe I am just lucky, as I hear these horror stories about nano from other guys

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only reason nanofil is good is for super long casts with light lures. There is no casting in the winter... Just sayin haha.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only reason nanofil is good is for super long casts with light lures. There is no casting in the winter... Just sayin haha.

What line do you use? I have the Ice Fireline on nearly all of my rods. I have always been bad at catching fish though so I have no idea if I am missing out on more fish.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member

That completely depends on your ability. You're not fishing unless you're casting into the ice hole first.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tie nano direct all the time. I have caught limits of 17-25" eyes pitching a single 3/16 jig, never retying.

Is it Palomar knots that are failing? Do people set their drags at 95% of breaking strength? Not sure why some are seeing spectacular nano failure. Maybe quality control at the factory sucks?

i honestly can't recall a single nano breakoff while ice fishing. I must be lucky. Or my memory sucks.

I had issues with nano in two areas. Sinker slide wear and tying direct to a jig or something were the knot slides on the eyelet up and down. Eventually either will fray nano and cause a failure with enough time. The fix is to run a sinker slider if you use it with lindys and tie to a small barrel swivel and use a chunk of flouro for a leader. Also, it is prone to hating some peoples knots. Figure out a knot it likes, address the issues above and it is great line for not absorbing water and being no stretch for sensitivity.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Power pro --- on all my stuff -- ice non ice pp makes life easy; this is ND= bonehead fish = all they care about is eating.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
What line do you use? I have the Ice Fireline on nearly all of my rods. I have always been bad at catching fish though so I have no idea if I am missing out on more fish.

I use crystal fireline on jigging rods and fluorocarbon for my crappie bobber rods. I had issues with nanofil fishing outside. When cleaning the ice off the line i eventually wear right through the line.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
PP is shit on a below freezing day. I use it on a couple rods, but the line holds water, and gets iced up.
I have a few rods with mono for my dead stick rods, that maybe have line that is 10 years old. How often should you replace your line on a lightly used rod?

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Power pro --- on all my stuff -- ice non ice pp makes life easy; this is ND= bonehead fish = all they care about is eating.

So ND fish are less smart than fish from other states? Get the hip waders out guys as shit is getting deep haha. This is so funny! HHahbabahaha

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
So ND fish are less smart than fish from other states? Get the hip waders out guys as shit is getting deep haha. This is so funny! HHahbabahaha

:;:cheers

Hey when are we getting the NDA crew up nort to drink a few cold ones and maybe catch a buzz.

Guy -- I mainly fish in my portable unless if the weather is great -- I just clear off the guides - but it not excessive imo. When the line freezes inside the hole along with the hole covering over ---- it doesn't seem what line I have; that's when its to cold to pull off the gloves -- that's when the heater gets lit and my shorthair heads for the shelter. I admit my ice fishing rods are a collection of time and mainly junk; but they work for me.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use fluorocarbon or fluorocarbon coated mono on all my "dedicated" panfish (noodle rods etc) and slip bobber rigs.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing beats pure fluoro for toughing it outside IMO

muskelllunge13

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have switched to all baitcasting reels about 7 years ago. Mainly use little Shimano 50's. Rods either Thorne brothers, Jason Mitchell Mackinze, and have one Bricker which is Nice. These work exceptionally well jigging sumo eyes and pike.. Photo is of a TB walleye sweetheart MH. Bricker's rods take a couple months to get,btw.
Image_zps6480d674.jpg

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use fluorocarbon or fluorocarbon coated mono on all my "dedicated" panfish (noodle rods etc) and slip bobber rigs.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing beats pure fluoro for toughing it outside IMO

The problem is for jigging deep 40 fow plus, u will miss out lots of bites that require a no stretch line to see. Im not talking feel im talking being able to see the rod tip barely move.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88