Fish Guts

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curious what everyone does with their fish guts if you clean fish at home, particularly if you live in town.

Mine go into the freezer until the morning of garbage pickup and then they go into the trash frozen. Anyone doing something better?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put them in the neighbors garbage can.

Just kidding everyone. I usually just throw them in my garbage unless it's going to be warm out the next few days. Then they go in the freezer. Now that the cleaning stations are open I'll clean them there.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dumpster. I live in an apartment and I don't have any room in my freezer. If there's a lot then I might double bag it.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unless its really hot they go in a lawn and leaf bag and into the garbage. If its hot they find a bulk dumpster. I prefer to use cleaning stations. But they often are shut down

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put my in the grass dumpster. that grass gets hauled out just about everyday and they dump it at the landfill for compost.
So i can't see anything wrong with that. And the compost you can get from the land fill is some nice stuff for your gardens

bowcarp

Founding Member
Founding Member
when the garden is in everything but the head gets buried in the garden otherwise bagged and in the garbage , Monday garbage pick up is great weekend fish cleanings don't have much time to get ripe

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bury them maybe 6" deep along any shrub, edge, etc. where bare dirt is found. No stink, flies, etc.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
When i dont get to use a cleaning station, the remains get fed to a few family pets.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
The last time I have ghts, I had 20 trees to plant. Dug the holes and dropped in some in each hole (luckly had got 10 eyes the day before and another 10 the morning of.) Otherwise it goes In my grass clipping pile. I live out in the country.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone tried using the guts as fertilizer in the garden?

My dad made us bury them in the garden. Post hole digger worked good. I never use a fish cleaning station. Now I just put them in a dumpster. Usually the one at the ramp here in Yates. I hope it stinks bad so the drinkers don't stay too long down by the ramp.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know most of the old timers claim that the gut enzymes of the fish were the best thing in the world for septic tanks and would flush them or just drop them in the septic tanks. Have heard this from many older sources. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats who make short work of them.

Opie11

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bury in garden. Curious why Bowcarp doesn't bury the head as well?

Opie

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried the bury in the garden thing, but the skunks thought the guts should be on the surface of the garden. Trouble with that is that once they had the guts on the surface they kept coming back to check to make sure there were no other "lost" fish parts. That was until I had the 12 ga discussion with them. Now I use the cleaning stations (remember that thread boys???) or a dumpster.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cleaning station that was a classic . I live just out of town now so I bag and throw in my dumpster. But with a cleaning station at most ramps here I use that. Word on the street is Indian creek is putting a.four.season one in.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I motor back to my dock and do a "fillet and release" of the remains back to the Lake from whence they came and feed the crayfish!

bowcarp

Founding Member
Founding Member
opie11

the heads might break down might not but I just figure why bust them up with the tiller and have sharp bone parts in the garden probably don't matter just the way I do it

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had been doing the bury in the garden trick but the lab dug some up a few days ago so I probably won't do that anymore - that's a special kind of stench.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76