Fishing numbers

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
The number of people fishing went through the roof, during covid. I'm wondering what this year will be like, now a couple years removed, and the state of the economy suffering. I'm sure plenty of people will be getting out there, but will it feel noticeably less? I'm kind of thinking so, but who knows.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots more fishing from shore where the getting is good.! Especially with the prices of boats these days. Fish can be had casting from shore..just saying

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guessing there will be fewer this year.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fishing takes money and time. Both of which seem to be in short supply these days. If you have spare time and little money, that time is better spent trying to stay afloat than dunking lures. At least for the guys I know that have had to change careers lately. I hope guys out fishing aren't there to feed the family cuz they can't afford groceries, but I fear that may become more common. Reality doesn't seem to be going in the plus side much in the past few years. Stay Safe out there fellas.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Idk, at least out west here economy seems to be doing ok. $133k Vexus at Scheels this past weekend
The last big downturn '07-'09 saw a TON of consolidation in the marine world which ultimately isn't great for the consumer.

Independent boat manufacturers get caught in the middle during a credit crunch. As consumer debt increases and spending drops, smaller shops get their lines of credit cut to reduce lender risk, which in turn drastically cuts inventory production as raw-materials and the carrying cost of inventory raises.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't expect to see any noticeable decline on Sak. The Mo has seen fewer people this spring but that's largely because of the lack of bite from muddy water conditions.

Overall, dangling a worm in your local water is still about the cheapest past-time activity one can do.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't expect to see any noticeable decline on Sak. The Mo has seen fewer people this spring but that's largely because of the lack of bite from muddy water conditions.

Overall, dangling a worm in your local water is still about the cheapest past-time activity one can do.
While it can be the cheapest activity a guy can do, It also can cost a small fortune, if one so chooses.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
It depends on how many people stick from the covid era increase. Trend was going down up till 2020.

I cannot agree with the cheapest past-time activity. Bank rat maybe--wait what is the minnow cost this spring?? Boats are crazy priced. Tackle for the most part crazy priced

Lot of cheaper hobbies exist.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can get minnows for about 1/2 gallon of gas, lots of em. But if I start getting chubs, it will go up since gas is so high priced. It takes more miles for me to put in chub traps. And bank rats or use small john boats with just an electric tiller is pretty cheap.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always thought jigs would be immune to crazy price hikes. Boy was I wrong. Fishing tackle has gotten out of hand. It would be tough on the wallet if a person was getting into fishing these days with zero equipment or tackle.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dig for worms and and you can almost guaranty a catfish will bite anywhere from tobacco to Newtown off shore at least that's my experience if you do get minnows you can usually get a couple bass possible walleye and smelt is still reasonable in the grocery store whole bag for the price of a scoop of Minnows so I believe a guy can still fish cheap and be successful.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard on the radio minnows in Bisman this spring were like 4X what they were vs last year. Is that correct???

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was told there was a minnow shortage. Can you believe that crap?!? A damn minnow shortage!!! Who woulda thunk?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84