Freezing sewer vent pipes

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is pig Latin talk was referring to horse accident's people had. I had seen many while hunting in mountains. I call them hunting cowboys. plus 5 years of damn cancer brain is all fogged up.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Being raised on a farm/ranch and having horses most of my life, I have one good story about breaking a horse and another about elk hunting in Montana on a horse. The hunting one was a damn painful time in my life and took a few years to recover from after numerous surgeries. Will go into detail later.

- - - Updated - - -

Funny as heck though, I laughed..

I did too and that is one nice thing about most of us on here. We can give it out but we can also take it, at least most of the time!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
experienced or not, horses are dangerous. if you aren't experienced, chances of issues increase just cause of inexperience. and if you are experience, it means you ride a lot. but, that also means your odds of something bad happening increase eventually as its really just a matter of time with those fuckers. i know a few lifetime riders and not a one of them has escaped a relatively serious horse accident.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
damn i thought this was just boring pipes freezing and missing out on all the horse wrecks. Im on the fuck those things boat to. While its impressive watching a good cutting horse work I want no part of being on one any more. Helped a cowboy friend of mine and he had a kids horse they said for me. bunch of liars and that old bag started bucking as soon as my second foot hit the stirrup . I bailed in a graceful way landing flat on my back said the next one better say polaris on it.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was lucky to have had a dad that took me hunting all over this get county. When in Germany during the war he bought a very nice 35mm camera. With that camera he took lots of pictures with some very famous hunting people he hunted with and all of our trips and put them on slides for projector to watch every Christmas. Man could I write a book on the horse rodeo's I saw. Thus my saying hunting cowboys. God rest his sole now. Family friend raised rodeo horses and had one hell of cutting horse stud, so we bought his retired horses not good enough for cowboys anymore they always wanted better. The miles I put on my horse and the shit we road through I treated her better than my wife. I am a city slicker but family friend taught me tricks to riding. Lucky me never got hurt.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those insul-vents sure look cheesy -- they're basically two small black buckets screwed together with some holes drilled in them, and a thin Styrofoam liner -- but (so far) they appear to work.

I thought mine was froze up the other day at about 9 below...
1702734768380.png

...but it was actually still very much open.
IMG_7082.jpeg

I'll hold my opinion for a while yet until I see how it performs at -20.

Full disclosure: I have a 3" pipe, but bought a 4" insul-vent and wrapped my pipe with 1" of additional insulation before putting it on, so mine is a bit better insulated than stock.

Can you given an update on how this works well below zero? I have a unique situation where the copper T's will not work so am looking for another option. At $30 id like to know how its working well below zero before i buy it. Thanks

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do these copper deals sit in your vent year round?
Or would I have to send mrs johnr up there every spring to remove, and then of course in the fall to insert...

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you given an update on how this works well below zero? I have a unique situation where the copper T's will not work so am looking for another option. At $30 id like to know how its working well below zero before i buy it. Thanks

I checked it yesterday morning after it had been like -27 overnight, and it was still wide open. From my experience, it definitely would have been froze shut without it.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
I checked it yesterday morning after it had been like -27 overnight, and it was still wide open. From my experience, it definitely would have been froze shut without it.

excellent, thanks. What type of insulation did you wrap around it on the inside? standard fiberlgass stuff? I will probably get a size bigger like you did and add some extra insulation

UCanCallMeDad

My house is on a septic system and I’ve been up on the roof three days in a row! First day I just cleared the snow/ice off of it. Woke up the next morning to sewer smell. Went to menards for some copper parts. Dumped hot water in and put the copper T in. Woke up this morning to the same thing! Copper T and all was froze over. Just got done dumping about 2 gallons of hot water down the vent and then sprayed the hell out of it with wd40. I’m about ready to try any remedy. Never had this problem since building the house 7 years ago.
DId You still holes in the top of the T?

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
$60 frigging dollars for that is highway robbery! A "T" and a couple feet of soldered in pipe is going to set a person back, about $10?
bought copper and fitting lately? not saying its worth 60 bucks though

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought the $60 sewer skewer about 2 weeks ago as the toilet was sluggish flushing and was gurgling as it did ( own septic system ). Within about 5hrs after putting down the vent, toilet flushed fine. No issues since. Did not add the extension.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I finally crawled up on the roof today to check vents. They are on the north side of house and i could see the one had build up straight up over the top of the roofline from the south side. It was still venting as it had a hole down to the pipe but had a tube of ice/frost going straight up about 12 inches or more. Other one was froze up. put down sewer skewers but might have to make mine longer.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I finally crawled up on the roof today to check vents. They are on the north side of house and i could see the one had build up straight up over the top of the roofline from the south side. It was still venting as it had a hole down to the pipe but had a tube of ice/frost going straight up about 12 inches or more. Other one was froze up. put down sewer skewers but might have to make mine longer.
Hope it works for ya. Have never had to do it but hauling hot water up on roof does not sound like it would be a pleasant experience to that out.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I used a home made 1" copper T for 18 months. It did freeze 1 time but no problem thawing. The next fall I checked it when cleaning eves and the sewer gas had just about eaten it up.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
DId You still holes in the top of the T?
Yep, made my Tee like the sewer skewer and capped the ends of the Tee and drilled holes through it. Mines is heavier copper, larger diameter and is 12’ long and sure as shit it froze over yesterday (12/25’). So even with a giant sewer skewer and a black insul-vent slip over cover I still freeze up on occasion! Way less than it used to be but once or twice a winter I have to haul water up the ladder and dump it down the vent 🤬.

I did track it down to I never had an issue until my daughter moved downstairs 🙄. Obviously the vent run is pretty long from down there and the humid air is cooling too much before to get us to the roof. Not sure what my next remedy will be. Maybe heat tape to a switch but I’m a little afraid of it being a fire hazard. So burn the house down or break my leg falling off the ladder someday 🤷‍♂️?

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used a home made 1" copper T for 18 months. It did freeze 1 time but no problem thawing. The next fall I checked it when cleaning eves and the sewer gas had just about eaten it up.
Wow, that is quick. What the hell you eating? :D

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 53
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19