Garmin w/Minnkota transducer

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, so I bought a Garmin just to try something different up in the bow of the boat. While it came with the sidescan transducer, I wanted to hook it up to the Minnkota universal transducer. So, the fella at Scheels handed me an adapter, one that is split so you can hook up the Garmin transducer and Y's off to connect to the Minnkota.

For the love of all that's holy, I haven't been able to get it configured and read the Minnkota transducer. If I just hook it up to the Minnkota and go into the sonar screen it just kicks me out saying no transducer connected. Note, the old Lowrance unit saw it just fine up until it died, so I am pretty sure the transducer works.

If I hook up both the Garmin transducer and the Minnkota using the Y cable, the unit sees the Garmin just fine and allows me to go into the settings to choose the Minnkota, but I am guessing it's just operating on the Garmin transducer with the Minnkota settings and not actually seeing the Minnkota transducer as the sonar changes a little but I don't know for sure that it's actually trying to see the Minnkota.

Anyone out there have any suggestions on what to try next? Maybe a different adapter? I don't know why, or under what conditions I would have two transducers connected to the head unit.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never heard of anyone doing that ask Scheels, maybe trans to old for new graph

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
2 years ago I was ran a minnkota terrova with US2 sonar and a Garmin 106 ultra. Did you go to sonar setup and select the Minnkota transducer and sonar frequency? I had no issue getting it to read. I never used a Y cable though. I think I needed 2 different cables to get it connected to the head unit. A universal cord from the minnkota, and then a 8 pin to and 12 pin adapter to get it into the head unit.

I would look at the sonar source

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll be "that guy". Is the unit updated?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll be "that guy". Is the unit updated?
It was brand new. So not updated, especially since I would assume the Garmin should be universal sonar ready from the factory.

I haven't had any time to mess with it as of late, since I've been out fishing when not working.

I think I am going to try a new cable. The head unit is simply not "seeing" the universal transducer. If it's the only thing plugged into the head unit, it won't even let you into the sonar menus simply because it is not recognizing a transducer being hooked up to it. It just boots you out to the main menu. When I hooked up the Garmin transducer to the Y cable, it allowed me into the sonar settings to change the transducer selected over to the Minnkota, but still not seeing anything.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update:

I finally made it back into Scheels and was told to try (sold) a standard adapter instead of the Y splitter since I don't have a need to have two transducers hooked up to the head unit. What do you know, it works just fine now!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62