It's gonna happen!!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
let's not get too excited yet. It appears the only ones making this claim are disgruntled former contractors. There isn't any oil in the pipe yet. They can send a camera through there and inspect it yet. Or they can force them to pull a new pipe through there. Plenty of options left.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They need a double pipe, the outside one would be used to check for oil leaking from the inside one

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is this a federal or state permitted pipeline ? State permit across COE land ? Either way it's a joke , I blame whoever issued the permit. There should be no question between a contractor and ex-employee whether proper procedure was taken on a project of this environmental magnitude. North Dakota is famous for this and they continue to carry on without a 3rd party engineering firm keeping an eye out for we the people. It's as simple as our State Engineers drawing up a prognosis and a check list of procedures to be filled out by the project engineer. It wouldn't cost the state a dime and it would keep contractors honest.
I used to bid projects and contracted or subcontracted through out the Midwest and North Dakota's procedures are a joke. This type of crap hits a nerve with me because I lost out on many bids in ND that other contractors underbid then cut corners that most contractors simply won't cut. It all looks good on paper but if it's required on paper then whoever wrote the bid documents better make sure the work is done as stated. Simple as that.

- - - Updated - - -

let's not get too excited yet. It appears the only ones making this claim are disgruntled former contractors. There isn't any oil in the pipe yet. They can send a camera through there and inspect it yet. Or they can force them to pull a new pipe through there. Plenty of options left.

According to the claims in the article the inspection that they skipped was an external inspection .

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also find it interesting this has a union vs non union vibe going to. If true they can pull it up and redue it and if not then the accusers will be up for a defamation lawsuit. Hopefully this leads to them keeping a closer eye on the DAPL as they put it under oahe. Why the hell didnt they do their inspection a couple days sooner to be there when they put it under Sak in the first place since thats the most critical part. On a side note I think they should be fine for their egregious spelling of the name!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
In all reality quite a bit of the external coating most likely gets worn/scratched off during the slide under the river anyway. For me, It's the fact that these projects that have a huge environmental impact continue to go unmonitored for the most part. It's worth repeating that North Dakota is a joke when it comes to field inspections of environmentally sensitive construction projects.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would assume federal since it goes under fed land. The article stated the coating prevented corrosion from inside out so that leads one to assume the coating would be on the inside. But I agree ND is far to easy on contracts, etc. Inspectors probably never got out of their trucks. Or they got payola. I would hope someone in authority with the state would be giving a press conference by Monday.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
They need a double pipe, the outside one would be used to check for oil leaking from the inside one

That's what I used to say too , Someone else that is/was directly involved with pipelines chimed in and claimed that you can't double pipe due to the fact that you can't use cathodic protection on double pipelines. That still doesn't make sense to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Can they actually pull two miles of pipe?

Oh heck yea, With enough horsepower and money you can even put a man on the moon.:) If it were ever to come to that It would take quite a tug that's for sure. Probably come out in sections , What a mess it would be. I doubt it will ever come to that. Typical ND slap on the fingers with a good warning is my guess.

- - - Updated - - -

The article stated the coating prevented corrosion from inside out so that leads one to assume the coating would be on the inside.

"The coating is on it to protect it from rusting from the outside in," Crase said.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drilling rigs pull 20000' of pipe 10000'vertical and 10000' horizontal all the time. It is easier to push then pull. With a pipe already in place it would be easier to run a pipe inside then boreing another pipe.

It is always a good time when you drill that last plug at 19,500' with 2 3/8 coil tubing. Will the unit be able to POOH.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would assume federal since it goes under fed land. The article stated the coating prevented corrosion from inside out so that leads one to assume the coating would be on the inside. But I agree ND is far to easy on contracts, etc. Inspectors probably never got out of their trucks. Or they got payola. I would hope someone in authority with the state would be giving a press conference by Monday.
Strike that and reverse it and thats what the article said.

- - - Updated - - -

Drilling rigs pull 20000' of pipe 10000'vertical and 10000' horizontal all the time. It is easier to push then pull. With a pipe already in place it would be easier to run a pipe inside then boreing another pipe.

It is always a good time when you drill that last plug at 19,500' with 2 3/8 coil tubing. Will the unit be able to POOH.

At 16 inches it would be fairly similar to moving the surface casing around but that stuff never goes in the horizontal leg so wold be interesting to see what vertical force could do. At only a 150 or so feet deep pressure should be pretty low.

- - - Updated - - -

That's what I used to say too , Someone else that is/was directly involved with pipelines chimed in and claimed that you can't double pipe due to the fact that you can't use cathodic protection on double pipelines. That still doesn't make sense to me.

Looks like who ever said that was either full of it or uneducated in it. This is streight from the EPA.

The potential corrosion of the inside of the inner pipe of the double wall pipe
is the same as the inside of the single pipe. The outside of the inner pipe and
the inside of the outer pipe have low potential corrosion because of the
nitrogen gas that will be used to fill the annulus. The outside of the outer pipe
will have a slightly lower corrosion potential than the single wall pipe because
of the somewhat lower skin temperature. It is assumed that the robust single
wall pipe and the double wall pipe will have similar coating and cathodic
protection.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Oh heck yea, With enough horsepower and money you can even put a man on the moon.:) If it were ever to come to that It would take quite a tug that's for sure. Probably come out in sections , What a mess it would be. I doubt it will ever come to that. Typical ND slap on the fingers with a good warning is my guess.

- - - Updated - - -

The article stated the coating prevented corrosion from inside out so that leads one to assume the coating would be on the inside.

"The coating is on it to protect it from rusting from the outside in," Crase said.
not sure how the hell I misread that. yea it would make no sense considering much of that coating will be removed during install.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
not sure how the hell I misread that. yea it would make no sense considering much of that coating will be removed during install.[/QUOTE]

Some requirements in bid documents make no sense but it still needs engineer approval to omit a process it's not up to the contractor.
My point is that environmental impact projects should be required to have an engineer/supervisor in the field at all times at the expense of the oil companies to call the shots. Wake up and pay attention Bismarck.

- - - Updated - - -

Drive by road construction and it seems like there are more engineers than workers , It doesn't take a whole herd but they are an important part of EVERY project.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 34