Long Term Care coverage

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For me, all insurance is a guess. The premiums are based on likely outcomes with a profit for the insurance companies. Those profits are somewhat limited by the State Insurance Commissioners. I buy insurance to protect me from a disastrous outcome. If I'm careful with my vehicles and stay out of accidents, then the insurance is a waste of money. If I'm involved in an accident then I'm protected and damn glad I have the insurance.

Hail insurance on the crop is the same, as is hospital insurance. Never collect and it was money that could have been invested elsewhere, collect and it's nice to have. I have nursing home insurance and won't know if it's worthwhile until the end. As it is I've had it for close to 20 years so getting close to the point where it might have been better to invest those premiums. All insurance is a gamble for the company as well as the person taking the insurance.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well the "one circumstance " is understandable. Way it sounds, he divested some assets to his children within the last 5 years which made him ineligible for Medicaid. I am fairly certain the home is aware of the value of those assets and had made attempts at billing the recipients of the assets up to the value of the assets and the kids didn't respond. They should have. This is your classic situation of a disqualifying transfer. Poor planning and even worse response.

onpoint!

Established Member
The spouse or next of kin contest it because the hospital administrators hard sell them on hope.

The person being sold is usually quite emotional, and they use that to their advantage
(as any good salesman would).

wow, you must've been involved in a doozie if you really believe that - sorry to hear. in most cases, prolonged presence does not equal more revenue and the "medical people" that i know try hard to do a good job, whether that's wiping someone's behind or trying to collect on a past-due bill.
Long term care is the least profitable industry in the US with an overall profit margin of negative 1.0%, meaning they actually lose money each year, and it is worse in ND - so more of us may have to install chair lifts, go part-time and learn feeding tube techniques as the nursing homes close down in coming months/years...
My mom, a resident of one of those strapped facilities, needs us kids to help with cares when we can (changing, bathing, clipping nails, cutting hair, changing chair/bed linens, blah blah - the things we take for granted and for which we wish they had more success recruiting staff). the answer is "pay staff more" right? yep, and increase those losses.
hey, i don't have the answers. but i'm betting they're more complicated than most of us understand.

Last edited:

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
wow, you must've been involved in a doozie if you really believe that - sorry to hear. in most cases, prolonged presence does not equal more revenue and the "medical people" that i know try hard to do a good job, whether that's wiping someone's behind or trying to collect on a past-due bill.
Long term care is the least profitable industry in the US with an overall profit margin of negative 1.0%, meaning they actually lose money each year, and it is worse in ND - so more of us may have to install chair lifts, go part-time and learn feeding tube techniques as the nursing homes close down in coming months/years...
My mom, a resident of one of those strapped facilities, needs us kids to help with cares when we can (changing, bathing, clipping nails, cutting hair, changing chair/bed linens, blah blah - the things we take for granted and for which we wish they had more success recruiting staff). the answer is "pay staff more" right? yep, and increase those losses.
hey, i don't have the answers. but i'm betting they're more complicated than most of us understand.

I believe it because I was there. It was sickening.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody have recommendations on a good estate planner or attorney?

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Central ND Minot or bismarck are the closest big cities, but would be willing to take a trip to meet with someone who knows what they are doing and talking about.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
There would be way more money to take care of the old people if these lazy sumbitches would get off their asses and go to work rather than laying at home and having kids and our tax money goes to taking care of them. Damn Medicade should be drug tested and checked on to get these free-loaders off the system.
They get rent paid, food stamps, healthcare, and who knows what else they qualify for and our elderly try to scrape by. This system is so damn rigged it isn't funny!
Rant over.

I don’t disagree with you at all, Jack. But now our ever knowlegable all knowing government is cutting back birth control services for millions of the very people that you are referring to! Few if any can afford birth control or even get PROPER knowlege about it, so what are they supposed to do in order to stop reproducing like rabbits and go out and get educated so they can be remotely elegible for jobs?? I suppose the next thing will be an edict from the White House that people like that are not supposed to screw anymore! LOL.
Oh well, any feel good worthless solution to buy votes down in the Bible Belt and religious right I guess. LOL
Adequate birth control access is NOT a solution to the nations problems, but like insurance, it’s a relatively small investment that will definitely pay off in the future, IMHO. And DONT confuse birth control with abortion either! TOTALLY different subjects.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The welfare I know get free birth control and the fricking male can solve that easy but to be a man one needs to unload inside the bitch.
Then walk away as if you they never knew the bitch. Women, God can they never see the light.
But the walk depends on how big the check will get, how much the lady is willing to give her stud for a moments pressure, if she bitches ect. db

Last edited:

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Birth control is essentilally free everywhere but it will not do any good as long as we keep paying people to have kids. Child tax credits are idiotic(even mine) and they keep getting larger. Remember Rubio going beserk until they got them doubled in the last tax plan. At the same time they are handing out medicaid like candy.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Talked to a person today who works in the child support business.

Had a guy in the office who was one of fourteen named as the potential baby daddy in a child support case. WTF?

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One will find how few do pay the child support. Unreal and they get away with it.
So find the one of the fourteen who might pay the support for the father. db

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who has to pay for the 14 DNA's ?

- - - Updated - - -

And do the other 13 get a free "ride" ? AGAIN!

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Talked to a person today who works in the child support business.

Had a guy in the office who was one of fourteen named as the potential baby daddy in a child support case. WTF?

When we’d ultrasound these people the techs would always laugh and call them another “eerie meenie” ultrasound, with the tecipient’s main value in doing it,was trying to figure out the father. Not that she’d name him to authorities anyway -most are too scared!
HOWEVER, I HAVE TO POINT OIT THAT THERE ARE A LOT OF GUYS WHO ARE MUCH WORSE FOR SCREWING AROUND! if guys got pregnant, a lot of us on this website might have got pregnant and wished they had had access to birth control (doesn’t exist for males yet other than the C word, from which most guys recoil!) or abortion!
just pointing out there is a double standard at work here, like on all male dominated websites, Outdoor or not, and someone has to stick up for women! Guess I can say this - I’ve personally delivered 9 known offspring from ONE GUY! Our whole office swore he should have a court ordered vasectomy or more! And I’d bet there are. Any more Imdont know about! He was still pumping them out whe I retired 17years ago! And he’s no Democrat either, though there are lots of,examples of D babies here and There! If only I could write a book! LOL nine was the extreme, but lots of hat tricks out there and at least one “ace” I’m aware of!
My point is simply that we CAN do at least a little,bit to prevent massive increases in welfare payments, and it’s time we did more positive things. Instead we are going backwards!! I voted for our president, and he has done a lot,of good,things IMHO, but on this issue he has definitely struck out!! Why doesn’t he listen to people who,work in the front line,trenches with positive suggestions??? Because those people are all,perceived to be Liberal Democrat Idiots, and even if he did, he’d lose lots of,votes from his far right wing. The far right wing is correct on some,things, but NOT this one! Ask anyone in the know,withmREaL knowlege! The ones you will never see on FOX!

Sorry, didn’t mean to turn this topic into a political,thing, though the whole question of,how,to look,after aging and,disabled and non fatally injured people IS POLITICAL, like,it,or not. I’m out of,here....sorry again

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
She doesn't know, the guys have no ideal and their only concern was a moment of pleasure with little concern if she got pregnant or not (got one pregnant so it makes them a bragging man, the lady does not care either if she gets pregnant, was her moment of pleasure and ma wants grandkids) and they sure as hell do not want to pay for the next 18 years of raising a kid, either one and she probably could care less if they pay as she knows you and I will pay and grandma does not want the guy in her daughter's or grandkid's life anyways and grandma knows who will pay the monies needed and they can not wait until the new grandkid gets pregnant and then we can all be a stay at home mom and dad does not have to work either.
Whew, 71 years of living, working, paying our own way has its moments.

It's in the genes now days as a part of their heritage and way of life and now grandma has a new, my baby they will happily raise. This has nothing to do with the color of skin. It was taught by our government to all skin colors.

As I stated if they find out who it was I doubt if he will pay but at least will not get a hunting license I assume. So you and I pay for the DNA test and raising the kid. db

- - - Updated - - -

So my wife and I are working on how not to go to a nursing home and how to die before one goes (hope the mind is still there to do that). Many do not go but if I go I am sure most assets will be gone and guess what, you get to pay my way finally for a poor way living. db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88