lost a hunting buddy and sidekick this week

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
let's go back about ten and a half years ago. I was in the market for a dog geared more towards upland hunting. I decided to focus on a English setter. I found someone locally who had a litter and took one home. I remember fondly when i first seen her, all white except a face with a large black patch around her right eye and a hint of a olive colored eyebrow and olive stripe under the black patch and her left ear was black. so after surveying the rest of the litter and at the risk of sounding gay, I said, " she's adorable. i'll take that one!" she soon became a easy companion. up for anything... coulden't leave the house without her. IMG00255.jpg

It was obvious right from the start her fascination, obsession with winged creatures. she spent all the time I allowed her outside patrolling and sight pointing sparrows and robins in the yard. of course she blossomed into a hunting machine. her and I and friends ran ourselves into the ground hunting in the fall.
20151106_074449.jpg
IMG00035-20111023-1654.jpg

she had became a pleasure to have in the house and the yard. with her being so "easy" . When I met the love of my life and she moved in. the dog wasn't happy. she chewed one of her shoes, got in the garbage, and chewed up half a pack of cigarettes to signal her disapproval. soon though they became buddies except for the constant battles for space on the couch. she constantly got attention from neighbors and kids in the neighborhood, she had a best friend dog next door. she didn't have a mean bone in her body. she had some favorite girls at the end of the street that would bring her treats as they walked up the sidewalk. and a three year old girl next door who had heard me call her dum-dum once or twice ( I meant it in a nice way ). and still today refers to her as "dum-dum".
game cam 016.jpg

about a year and a half ago she had her first surgery to remove a mammary tumor and about four months later another surgery. life went on.her age and my work seemed to be taxing on both of us and we didn't hunt nearly as much in the last few years as we used to. about that time I pretty much considered her retired. last Tuesday I woke up to her sleeping on the couch as usual but noticed a large amount of blood, the vet examined her and said a large tumor had formed near her lady parts and there wasn't anything they could do. my wife and I decided to let her get out while she was ahead, just the day before she was wagging her tail in the yard as I pulled into the driveway and ran back and forth through the house like a maniac as I was mixing up her "fancy food" ( a half can of alpo and two cups of purina , it must be really good ). and jumped in bed with us for her usual twenty minutes and realizing there wasn't enough room would retire to the couch. so I see a silver lining in all this, she was mobile and happy then took a nap. I think my wife puts it best when she says the worst thing about a dog is...you get one and then about twelve years later they tear your heart apart. p.s. unless you are positive you are gonna breed your female dog, have her spayed.
20150621_102307.jpg

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to hear that. Damn dogs get under your skin and it's never easy to let go. My older Brit will be 12 soon. She has really slowed down since last year.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am a dog person and can relate to your pain. Sounds like you had a great one! Prayers of peace to you and yours!

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
So very sorry to hear about your companion and best friend. It is hard to lose them but they are a great part of our lives and gave us much fun and happiness. Keep thinking of all the good memories and shed a tear once in awhile too. I still do over our loss of Zoey!
This was sent after our loss and it sure hit the spot!

Pet memories.jpg

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
thanks guys, the wife is still taking it a lil hard, I think it was a blessing for her to go the way she did. since I knew she had a aggressive form of cancer I had more than once thought about how it would end for her. none of the scenarios for the end of her life were as good as the ending she actually got.she could have deteriorated for a week in front of us, that would have been brutal. so this was a best case scenario for us and her. she didn't even seem to be in pain, but dogs are tough so it's hard to tell sometimes.. yeah, "get under your skin" is right, it's still strange to walk into a house without a dog there, etc. two nights later I was eating some Cheetos and was at the bottom of the bag and dropped a few little pieces on the floor. I said out loud ; shit, who's gonna pick those up now?

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
English Setters, gotta love 'em. Have lost two to old age. The best way to replace that hole in your heart is to get another. My first two came from Havelock Setters in New England. Run and hunt...hunt and run. They were awesome.

After over two decades Havelock Setters quit raising them. Couldn't find another breeder in ND. Ended up going to Rogers MN.

Scott Berg
Home 763-421-4778
Cell 612-308-5895

The waiting list is long. They are worth it.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Loosing a best friend and companion is tough and rips at your heart and gut. The only bright spot is you have done your best and she's in a happy and pain free place now. I hope "Dum Dum" has met Fred, Rufus, Shake, Brown, Whammer, Lew and all the other great dogs that have gone ahead of her. I know they met her and are up running, playing, pointing, retrieving and waiting for the day they can see us again.

I hope you and you wife can keep all the happy thoughts and times in your hearts forever.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry for your loss, I know how you feel I lost my best hunting buddy Whitney a couple of months ago.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel your pain. I had to unexpectedly put down my 11 year old springer 2 weeks ago. He had been a little weird the last two months and I had taken him in and they couldn't really find anything. I woke up sat morn two weeks ago and he was just laying there drooling and didn't really want to move. Took him into vet and they did an X-ray and he had a large tumor in his abdomen that must have really grown or ruptured. I had to make the call right there and put him down. It's crazy how those dogs can hide illness. He Went to bed wagging his tail, and 12 hours later he was chasing roosters in the sky. I was in a bit of a daze for a few days, but it does get better with time.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agree with what everyone else said. I didn't even know your dog and I feel bad. Understand what you are feeling as everyone who has ever hunted with a dog knows the loss when it happens. My condolences.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 175
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 52