Marine electronics

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Was in Gander Mountain back when they were new to area and was looking for some new electronics and there was like a 9 year old kid playing with their demo stuff and I asked his dad if I could rent him for awhile and he just laughed and said he needed him in their boat for same reason. LB

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes in ice house can hook up to tv if need way large screen to watch kinda fun
As far as Garmin goes, you have to have the right model to get HDMI output (GPSMAP I believe). Have yet to find a way to get an Echomap to go to a TV. Not sure why HDMI isn't a standard output in 2023.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody go out fishing, just for fishing sake? Fish without staring at electronics? Without the need to have the greatest,new and improved electronics guaranteed to win tournaments? It must be dumb luck not to catch a fish nowadays. Seems to be a dick swinging contest with some of the shit some of you guys are running. Gotta keep up with the Joneses or what? If it's just about catching fish, there are lots of places to fish from shore fishing with a slip bobber set up and jig rod on the other setup can and do produce just as many eyes as spending thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars chasing eyes. Guess not only tackle companies catch fisher people..but also boat, motor and electronic companies as well. To each their own. knock yourselves out. I just have a different mindset on how I wish to spend my money. You are entitled to your opinion. so am I.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody go out fishing, just for fishing sake? Fish without staring at electronics? Without the need to have the greatest,new and improved electronics guaranteed to win tournaments? It must be dumb luck not to catch a fish nowadays. Seems to be a dick swinging contest with some of the shit some of you guys are running. Gotta keep up with the Joneses or what? If it's just about catching fish, there are lots of places to fish from shore fishing with a slip bobber set up and jig rod on the other setup can and do produce just as many eyes as spending thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars chasing eyes. Guess not only tackle companies catch fisher people..but also boat, motor and electronic companies as well. To each their own. knock yourselves out. I just have a different mindset on how I wish to spend my money. You are entitled to your opinion. so am I.
Appreciate your perspective and understand where you're coming from. I do both....won't claim to be good at either. I was fortunate enough to be able to justify a Livescope setup - not top of the line but in the game. Yet I still go without it, either from shore or from a boat at times. Dumb luck sucks, experience helps, electronics teach you if used right. Livescope itself hasn't helped me catch more fish but it's educated me on behaviors that I add to my tool belt and implement even when not using electronics. Livescope has taught me "behavioral secrets" that I thought I'd only learn once I die and instantly gain all knowledge. Call it cheating, I call it learning.

You're entitled to your opinion, as am I. I don't think you're wrong, I don't think you're inferior, but IMO you may be missing out on opportunities to increase your knowledge and try things based on new information.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Appreciate your perspective and understand where you're coming from. I do both....won't claim to be good at either. I was fortunate enough to be able to justify a Livescope setup - not top of the line but in the game. Yet I still go without it, either from shore or from a boat at times. Dumb luck sucks, experience helps, electronics teach you if used right. Livescope itself hasn't helped me catch more fish but it's educated me on behaviors that I add to my tool belt and implement even when not using electronics. Livescope has taught me "behavioral secrets" that I thought I'd only learn once I die and instantly gain all knowledge. Call it cheating, I call it learning.

You're entitled to your opinion, as am I. I don't think you're wrong, I don't think you're inferior, but IMO you may be missing out on opportunities to increase your knowledge and try things based on new information.
Thanks! I appreciate your opinion.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anybody go out fishing, just for fishing sake?...........................

IDK, do you drive anything more than a bicycle, have more than one shotgun and one rifle, do have have more than 1 pair of shoes? I mean why do you need anything to have more. Do you have a scope on your rifle, you really don't need one. Do you have a house with an extra bedroom, if it's only you and miss's you really shouldn't need more than just a 1 bedroom place. does your house have a garage? why, cars don't disintegrate sitting outside. Do you have a cell phone, the answer is yes and it's probably a newer iphone or android. why??? it's not a need, it's a convenience of life.

Very few things can be boiled down to need. When you get down to it just about everything is a want. The want to be better, more comfortable, the want for more convenience , the want to maximize ones time, it's all a want. If we lived on need alone we'd still be in the stone age folks.

It's no different than old cars, golf, hunting, quilting, frizbee golf, wood working, gardening, cooking, or any other hobby. People get passionate about something and they are willing to chase that passion. Spending money on things that provide more convenience, comfort, ability, reliability, to make life more enjoyable and easier is all a want and I don't see an issue with that. It's ok to want more and to want better. Choose your passion, choose where you want to spend your money, but don't condemn others because the pot and the kettle aren't that far apart.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anybody ....
Hey, just thinking out loud if you really "need" that electric lawnmower you were talking about? I mean a scissors would get the job done just the same, I suppose you could make some argument for a reel type push mower but then that kinda seems like a waste when you could just raise a goat or two to keep the lawn trimmed up.

Last edited:

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey, just thinking out loud if you really "need" an electric lawnmower you were talking about? I mean a scissors would get the job done just the same, I suppose you could make some argument for a real type push mower but then that kinda seems like a waste when you could just raise a goat or two to keep the lawn trimmed up.
Evidently you don't read so good. I specifically stated to each their own. Knock yourself out. You are certainly entitled to your opinion and how you wish to spend your money. As am I.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
IDK, do you drive anything more than a bicycle, have more than one shotgun and one rifle, do have have more than 1 pair of shoes? I mean why do you need anything to have more. Do you have a scope on your rifle, you really don't need one. Do you have a house with an extra bedroom, if it's only you and miss's you really shouldn't need more than just a 1 bedroom place. does your house have a garage? why, cars don't disintegrate sitting outside. Do you have a cell phone, the answer is yes and it's probably a newer iphone or android. why??? it's not a need, it's a convenience of life.
Did someone pee on your Cheerios this morning???
I have two Deer rifles now used
to have eight. Still have three shotguns.
And the list goes on.......

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think they do the TV thing all the time in ice houses and snobears. No?
IMG_4426.jpeg

Correct. You need a GPSMAP Garmin. Pictured is a 1243XSV

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member

I only respond because there were question marks? I also read, to paraphrase, everyone has their opinion.

My personal opinion is this (solely for my wife and I). We love fishing. We do not travel (unless it is fishing related), dont frequent bars, rarely gamble, live in a modest home, etc. We do blow a wad on fishing. It is our only hobby. I have given up hunting or my fishing would not be as far over the top....My wife owns more rods than purses. We both drive trucks so we will never miss out on a fishing weekend because of a vehicle failure. We spend ALOT time and miles creek chubbing because, for us, it is part of the fun, part of the process, part of the game.

We run new boats every year or every other year. We get the biggest and the fastest because......we can, it provides a measure of safety smaller boats dont, and it allows us to fish on days others may say the heck with it due to lack of comfort from a smaller or tin boat. I overload with electronics because I like to. We will have 2 Livescope LVS 34 setups in our boat. 1 for my wife in the rear of the boat on a Brew City Pole and 1 on the bow for me ran on a turrett on my bowmount. We have learned to LOVE Livescope fishing. It is video games for old men. I have a 16 inch screen up front for clarity and for my old eyes...We dont even keep alot of fish throughout the year and have found ourselves to enjoy fewer fish caught each day with a much higher % of "picture fish" which I can attribute some to utilizing the better technologies available.

I get it. Someone looks at our boat and we get about 90% "wow, beautiful" and about 10% jeers or odd comments. I dont care. Some are jealous and some are envious. Some feel it is over the top ridiculous, and others think it is just right.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Livescope has taught me "behavioral secrets" that I thought I'd only learn once I die and instantly gain all knowledge. Call it cheating, I call it learning.
Another cheat is zebras ----- sight fishing went from 7 feet to 20-30 and it helps a guy catch XXX what i caught before.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I agree with most of your comments @3Roosters. There people out there definitely doing the dick swining contests and there are people like @NPO_Aaron.... The frustration is real. For me it's about wants and needs. Do I need a livescope, no.... but I sure as hell wanted one so I saved money for it. I don't need to fish with it out of my shitty tin boat that costs less than the livescope, but I just started this year and I'm learning stuff everytime I use it. All that said, I rarely use it all summer long since I'm pulling BB or cranks. I also still shore fish A LOT in the spring.

As far as catching fish through the ice goes, I'd argue that I went from catching 1 of 5 fish using a flasher to catching 4 of 5 using livescope because I can see exactly how the fish is reacting to my jigging cadences.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Evidently you don't read so good. I specifically stated to each their own. Knock yourself out. You are certainly entitled to your opinion and how you wish to spend your money. As am I.

Then why post your condemning shitty attitude towards people spending money on the latest and greatest fishing equipment and about how others spend there money and choose to fish.............................................. if its "to each their own". You were trying to make a point, jab a knife of some of us, and stir the pot until you get called out on it.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88