Ndsu vs. UND I've football

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
did anyone else watch the local kx news (Bismarck) and see the interviews done about the game? anyone else think it was amusing they interviewed 2 native americans (not being racist I don't have any idea what they want to be called) but the one was wearing a "fighting Sioux" shirt... were they not the ones complaining about it now there wearing shirts? I know there was dis-aggrement amonst the tribes as well but find it funny they "happened" to find one wearing a fighting Sioux shirt

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
did anyone else watch the local kx news (Bismarck) and see the interviews done about the game? anyone else think it was amusing they interviewed 2 native americans (not being racist I don't have any idea what they want to be called) but the one was wearing a "fighting Sioux" shirt... were they not the ones complaining about it now there wearing shirts? I know there was dis-aggrement amonst the tribes as well but find it funny they "happened" to find one wearing a fighting Sioux shirt

My wife is a nurse at Sanford in Fargo. There are a lot of native Americans that go there from the surrounding area. If you see a group WITHOUT a Fighting Sioux shirt or jersey, it's an anomaly.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

it was not the people who wanted it. It was a few leaders who wanted to have there palms greased a little more that pushed the issue. Standing Rock had a group of people who wanted it taken to a vote as they had adds in the paper every week but the chairman would not let it go to it.

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a hard time with all of the hype of “renewing therivalry”. To me, it’s been too longsince the last time they played and the rivalry just isn’t there anylonger. We have a whole generation ofkids/students who never got a chance to experience how excited the whole statewould get for this game. The currentplayers were in elementary school or younger the last time the game washeld. The teams used to be made up of alot more numbers of ND kids on them. Ourpopulation has been inundated large numbers of foreign refugees and oil fieldtrash who could care less about this once important piece of North Dakotanculture. We’ve lost a ton of traditionwith the retiring of the Sioux nickname, the nickel trophy and being perennialcontenders playing in the same conference. In fact the only thing that seems to have not faded in 12 years is thearrogance and huge inferiority complex of the bison fans. It feels more like starting from scratch andif they could figure out a way to play every year, it could maybe grow into arivalry again. This weekend’s game is nothingmore than a novelty.
Don’t get me wrong. Iwish we could go back to the way the things used to be in our state with a lotof things, (easier land access, uncrowded roads and lakes and the Sioux makingthe bison their bitches on a regular basis) but I guess this is “progress”. I was fortunate to attend the last 8 gamesplayed between the two schools and truly loved the rivalry, so I will end thiswalk down memory lane with my top 5 memories of when it was still a rivalry.
5. After the bisonwon, a man, who had obviously lost a bet, came streaking through the MemorialStadium parking lot wearing nothing but his underwear yelling “go bison, gobison”.
4. The old barn thatstood along I-29 about halfway between Grand Forks and Fargo which got re-paintedon a regular basis with insulting phrases about one school or the other.
3. Stealing thenickel trophy the week before the game was always classic. One year some UND students stole it from theNDSU student union in the middle of the night by going through the ductwork. Another time, some NDSU studentsdressed up as janitors and took it right out of UND’s locker room.
2. Just the wholeatmosphere surrounding the game. Youcould feel it building all week before the game and then on game day in theparking lot and walking into the stadium it was just electric.
1. The JimKleinsasser game. I had to sit for acouple hours in the parking lot, tailgating, listening to some obnoxious (evenby NDSU standards) bison fans telling me how UND didn’t have a chance becausetheir only good player was a tight end and what good was that going to do. JK proceeded to torch the bison for 3 TD’sand bring the nickel back to Grand Forks for another year.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a hard time with all of the hype of “renewing therivalry”. To me, it’s been too longsince the last time they played and the rivalry just isn’t there anylonger.

that will all change with a UND win on Saturday...I Bison blow out and nothing changes...a close competitive game and it starts to become a rivalry for this generation

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
The "rivalry" feels pretty forced. Too long of a layoff. Wish they could have worked out their differences from the beginning.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember when you could get a candy bar for a nickel, a nickel I say.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a hard time with all of the hype of “renewing therivalry”. To me, it’s been too longsince the last time they played and the rivalry just isn’t there anylonger. We have a whole generation ofkids/students who never got a chance to experience how excited the whole statewould get for this game. The currentplayers were in elementary school or younger the last time the game washeld. The teams used to be made up of alot more numbers of ND kids on them. Ourpopulation has been inundated large numbers of foreign refugees and oil fieldtrash who could care less about this once important piece of North Dakotanculture. We’ve lost a ton of traditionwith the retiring of the Sioux nickname, the nickel trophy and being perennialcontenders playing in the same conference. In fact the only thing that seems to have not faded in 12 years is thearrogance and huge inferiority complex of the bison fans. It feels more like starting from scratch andif they could figure out a way to play every year, it could maybe grow into arivalry again. This weekend’s game is nothingmore than a novelty.
Don’t get me wrong. Iwish we could go back to the way the things used to be in our state with a lotof things, (easier land access, uncrowded roads and lakes and the Sioux makingthe bison their bitches on a regular basis) but I guess this is “progress”. I was fortunate to attend the last 8 gamesplayed between the two schools and truly loved the rivalry, so I will end thiswalk down memory lane with my top 5 memories of when it was still a rivalry.
5. After the bisonwon, a man, who had obviously lost a bet, came streaking through the MemorialStadium parking lot wearing nothing but his underwear yelling “go bison, gobison”.
4. The old barn thatstood along I-29 about halfway between Grand Forks and Fargo which got re-paintedon a regular basis with insulting phrases about one school or the other.
3. Stealing thenickel trophy the week before the game was always classic. One year some UND students stole it from theNDSU student union in the middle of the night by going through the ductwork. Another time, some NDSU studentsdressed up as janitors and took it right out of UND’s locker room.
2. Just the wholeatmosphere surrounding the game. Youcould feel it building all week before the game and then on game day in theparking lot and walking into the stadium it was just electric.
1. The JimKleinsasser game. I had to sit for acouple hours in the parking lot, tailgating, listening to some obnoxious (evenby NDSU standards) bison fans telling me how UND didn’t have a chance becausetheir only good player was a tight end and what good was that going to do. JK proceeded to torch the bison for 3 TD’sand bring the nickel back to Grand Forks for another year.

Jimmy Kleinsasser aka Flying saucer (watch the video)! lol that never caught on as it is the first time I heard of it. But I recall the catch as if it were yesterday.

AND with inflation why not a dime or quarter trophy just to start anew.

Last edited:

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
11863329_1721895651363426_164870643075993081_n.jpg

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go bison!!!

I remeber watching jimmy k that day opened my eyes to what an athlete He is and how fast the NFL game is compared to college

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go Sioux, or bison or whatever. Hope a North Dakota team comes out victorious, as I attended both

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the game is already over. 5yrds offense for the Sioux in the first half

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 132
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59