New rifle build

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey guys I am in the process of getting a new rifle built. My intentions for this rifle was an accurate long range back pack rifle. Basically a do it all rifle. This is my first full on custom build and have learned a lot along the way. If any body wants a rifle built feel free to PM me and I can share the smiths info. I will give props to my smith as he has been great to work with me and explain things along the way. A fellow member here sent me to him and I am so glad I went this route. He invited me over to watch it being chambered and I'm not sure many would allow that. Here is a list of items used in the build and some pics of the process. I wish I had taken pics while chambering but I didn't. This is what I have for pics so far and expect the rifle back from Custom Gun Coatings soon. CGC is doing the stock paint. I had my smith cera coat all the metal except for the bolt which is NP3. I should add this rifle is chambered in 7MM Rem Mag and chambered to shoot Berger VLD 168's.

Remington 700 action Blue printed and trued.
PTG Fluted Bolt NP3 coated
PTG straight bolt handle, and bottom metal
Timney 510 trigger
Extreme hardcore gear level 20 moa base
Benchmark #5 contour fluted barrel
APA Lil bastard brake with knurled threaded cap
All metal Cera coated black
Seekins rings, and front 3" bipod rail
Manners EH1 painted CGC Nightstalker woodland
Topped with a Zeiss HD5 5-25

I'm sure I may have forgotten something along the way. Here are some pics so far and feel free to ask any questions.
FullSizeRender.jpgIMG_3531.jpgIMG_3535.JPGIMG_3536.JPGIMG_3538.jpgIMG_3537.jpg
IMG_3526.jpgIMG_3530.jpgIMG_3539.jpgIMG_3544.jpg

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is his turn-around time?

Turn around time depends on what you are having done. I delayed mine by having the bolt NP3'd and the stock to Custom Gun Coatings which takes 2 months. Total turn around on this one will be 5 months.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Please don't take this as criticism because that's a super kick ass rifle you've got there but that thing looks like a beast to be backpack hunting with.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Please don't take this as criticism because that's a super kick ass rifle you've got there but that thing looks like a beast to be backpack hunting with.

My goal was about 9-9.5 and we will see. Benchmark's #5 is a lil smaller than most other barrel companies plus I paid extra for fluting. And then the manners stock was where we are shaving the most weight and why I decided to pay crazy money for it. I never in my life figured id shell out that kind of coin for a stock. Can't wait to finish it up and actually see where it comes in.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
My goal was about 9-9.5 and we will see. Benchmark's #5 is a lil smaller than most other barrel companies plus I paid extra for fluting. And then the manners stock was where we are shaving the most weight and why I decided to pay crazy money for it. I never in my life figured id shell out that kind of coin for a stock. Can't wait to finish it up and actually see where it comes in.

Sweet! Post pics of it once it's all said and done!

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member

Perspective. My deer hunting setup is 10+ lbs loaded but suits me fine for walking pastures. But then again, I am a perfect physical specimen. On the Internet.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I carried a Sendero for two years in the Bighorns of Wy and managed but hated it. Last year I had a Sakko 85 Finnlight that was a dream to carry but just didn't love the rifle at all. I'm hoping like hell I end up with a dream medium!

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Perspective. My deer hunting setup is 10+ lbs loaded but suits me fine for walking pastures. But then again, I am a perfect physical specimen. On the Internet.

I saw the picture of you... #Mallninja

Last edited:

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw the picture of you... #Mallninja
Again your jealousy is showing. You don't have the balls to face the terrorists and drug cartels that plague the cattle pastures of 2H. I'm basically a hero.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Wrkn. I can't wait to see pics of your groups with the new rig!

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Again your jealousy is showing. You don't have the balls to face the terrorists and drug cartels that plague the cattle pastures of 2H. I'm basically a hero.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Wrkn. I can't wait to see pics of your groups with the new rig!

that is part of the fun on this new site! Hijack or not I really don't mind. It's all in good fun. I will post more pics as I get the rifle completed and actually weight it to see where it comes in. I have everything ready to mount the optics and start load research.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member

I wear a vest with trauma plates (front and duct taped to back) so that I can shield with my body, shots from a 338 lapua if necessary to protect the cattle of 4c from isis and neonazi radicals. You just hide behind your keyboard in typical Internet tough guy fashion.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I can't tell ... Do you 2 hate each other or is it one of those weird bro-tastic-love/hate things?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't tell ... Do you 2 hate each other or is it one of those weird bro-tastic-love/hate things?
I don't hate Wags, but I admit I'm guilty of loving America too much, if that's possible.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wear a vest with trauma plates (front and duct taped to back) so that I can shield with my body, shots from a 338 lapua if necessary to protect the cattle of 4c from isis and neonazi radicals. You just hide behind your keyboard in typical Internet tough guy fashion.

I have diy trauma plates made from phone books that I sowed together with rope. I soak them in water to give me a.50 cal rating at 124 yards. Once you go west river deer hunting west river in sd you are taking a big chance with out full body armor.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have diy trauma plates made from phone books that I sowed together with rope. I soak them in water to give me a.50 cal rating at 124 yards. Once you go west river deer hunting west river in sd you are taking a big chance with out full body armor.

message deleted by Vollmer

cannot allow messages that contain talk of shooting at people ... even if it's meant in a joking manner, as it clearly was here

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75