New to the ice

Mlewis406

Just got a popup ice hut and an auger and wanting to get into ice fishing around here. I live in grand forks and I’m really not sure of anywhere to go other than devils lake, and even with that I’m not sure how to really even get on the ice there. Not looking for someone’s honey hole or anything, just some tips on starting points. Any help is appreciated.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The English Coulee Diversion down by Thompson is a good place to go get started. Should be lots of perch and pike in there. 20 years ago there were also plentiful LM bass, but I don't know how they are doing nowadays.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Go to Devils lake, find the crowd and join in. Stop at a bait shop and ask them.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The English Coulee Diversion down by Thompson is a good place to go get started. Should be lots of perch and pike in there. 20 years ago there were also plentiful LM bass, but I don't know how they are doing nowadays.
Just about DRY, no water, no rain, no runoff. Try Fordville Dam or North Golden Lake. Get the contour map from the NDGF site.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome, welcome to the game on insanity we call hardwater fishing. It’s addictive

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84