old tractor new lights

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curious if anyone knows how to hook these up ? Do I remove the black piece? Lights came with zero directions.

IMG_0545.jpg

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dido on what1lessdog said. Just make sure the tractor is a negitive ground before you start wiring.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now I get what I'm looking at , It didn't look like a screw or a screw hole when I zoomed in.

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
well what i found out.............the screw in the inside of the headlight in my opinion was too long. A shorter screw would of secured the internal wire while allowing to screw in an external wire on the outside. That is the way the old lights were wired.

I ran the tractor wire into the inside of the new headlight and secured to the internal screw. 12 volt LED lights instantly burned out while the 12 volt incandescent bulbs didnt. Not sure what happened there.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
well what i found out...….the screw in the inside of the headlight in my opinion was too long. A shorter screw would of secured the internal wire while allowing to screw in an external wire on the outside. That is the way the old lights were wired.

I ran the tractor wire into the inside of the new headlight and secured to the internal screw. 12 volt LED lights instantly burned out while the 12 volt incandescent bulbs didn't. Not sure what happened there.
They are getting too much juice. Someone really gave er the beans

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are getting too much juice. Someone really gave er the beans
Im not understanding how they would get too much juice? 12 volt LEDs running off of a 12 volt battery?

The new headlights had a ground wire inside the casing. Should that be removed?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Too bad the LEDs burned out, They really brighten things up. I couldn't see good enough to mow with the regular headlights on my old Farmalls so I bought two rechargeable LED work lights with magnetic bases and set on the hood, they make a world of difference . I get a lot of use out of them, on the golf cart and for work lights too.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im not understanding how they would get too much juice? 12 volt LEDs running off of a 12 volt battery?

The new headlights had a ground wire inside the casing. Should that be removed?
Maybe it isn't grounding, I would test the wires.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
..............I ran the tractor wire into the inside of the new headlight and secured to the internal screw. 12 volt LED lights instantly burned out while the 12 volt incandescent bulbs didn't. Not sure what happened there.

What kind of tractor are you putting these on? Positive ground? bad voltage regulator? Assuming it's pretty old, has it been converted from a generator to a alternator? has it been converted from a 6 volt system to 12 volts?

Sounds like you might need to get the ol multi meter out and do some testing?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it's 1955 or older it's most likely positive ground and LEDs are polarity specific , you can buy either +or neg ground bulbs , depending on the application. I read or saw on youtube that some LED bulbs will burn out if you get the wires crossed.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would run a hot wire off the battery to a switch and then to the light. The light will be the ground.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84