Pellet Smokers.....which one?

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a RecTeq 700, going on 2 years. Does what I need it to, and am pleased with the purchase. Only complaint would be the cover. It's too tight, pain to get on and off and with the sharp edges it tears the cover. I don't use it much in the winter as it takes too long to get up to temp (especially if it's windy) and they don't make an insulated cover for it.

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a RecTeq 700, going on 2 years. Does what I need it to, and am pleased with the purchase. Only complaint would be the cover. It's too tight, pain to get on and off and with the sharp edges it tears the cover. I don't use it much in the winter as it takes too long to get up to temp (especially if it's windy) and they don't make an insulated cover for it.
Use a welding blanket for a cover. Doesn't cover everything but goes a long way toward keeping the heat in.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the 590 and love it, have had it for about 8 years with no real issues. I have had to calibrate the probes a couple times which is really simple, never cover it in the winter and have no issues holding cooking /smoking temps.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do have a welding blanket cut to fit the 590. Helps a lot when smoking in -0° temps.
20201102_120806.jpg

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have 2 Tragers, a little, older barrel smoker (sorry I can't remember the model) but it was one of the first ones to come out. SOB still smokes like a chimney!!

The other one is a Timberline and to be honest it's not worth the money IMO. Is it nice? Oh hell yeah, but it has too many bells and whistles on it for my liking. I find myself breaking out my 15 plus year old "barrel model" more often than not.

It could be for sale if someone is interested. I have many extras for it as well. It'll be a year old in February.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do have a welding blanket cut to fit the 590. Helps a lot when smoking in -0° temps.
20201102_120806.jpg
I like this. Some of the homemade thermal blanket solutions I've seen online look so damn janky.
Where did you pick up that welding blanket?

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Pitboss Tailgater. I take to the campsite for the summer and bring it home for the winter. I absolutely love the grill but I haven't compared it to any others. Yes, the probes are pretty worthless, but I got the Meater for Christmas and that thing kicks arse.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pit boss rules during he winter. The traeger is for the lake.

Pit boss is hotter the food sits closer to the burner plus you can open the burner up and cook like a grill. Winter cover is thick and i put on Nov-Apr. Yes i cook today cold wind no problemo getting it up to temp

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had to make, with vents out the back of th RT. $26 blanket

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a pitboss in the camper, and a Traeger at home. The little home Traeger is needing an upgrade, I have had nothing but great luck with it.

Looking to purchase a replacement, thinking Traeger is the go to for my past experience, but am open minded to the next best thing.

I have come to love the ease of a pellet grill that will keep temp and take care of itself for the most part.

What do you guys that use smokers recommend, not looking to spend over $2,000

For sub $2k I would recommend RecTec. I don't own, but both my brothers have one. My dad has two. My good buddy has one, among others I know.

If you were interested in the next step up, and open to adding ~$500 to your budget, it would get you "made in USA" options such as Yoder, Pitts and Spitts, Mak, Lone Star Grills, and probably many others I'm not aware of. But if you've been satisfied with the Traeger, I think you'd also be very satisfied with a RecTec.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 2nd generation Weber Pellet SmokeFire,has smartphone app, probe's work great, love the way it feeds never a issue as alot of them, clean box pull out drawer, have insulated blanket goes low and really high on temp holds good., dual sided sear grate. NIGHTVISION SURFACE and knobs lighting in dark of night. 3 year warranty and 5 year warranty. Main grilling 1/2 other 1/2 secondary. Most models that are over $1,500 seem great

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy owns the Ace store here in Dickinson. He is lining me out with the Ironwood XL.
Sticking with Traeger as it seems that 99% of the guys I know and hang with use this, and the guy that sells several different brands, and is a Scheels big shot personally uses the Traeger after sampling and using all the ones they carry.

Was thinking about that big green egg, however I am not in the skill set or really want to be tending it to that extent. Weekend warrior, not making my living with it was my thought on some of these units.

This brand has the double walled insulated unit, so it doesn't need the blanket to hold temp. Like a yeti cup, that never looses ice, probably wont ever cool down with that technology... haha

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.hastybake.com

Can't go wrong with a grill/smoker company that is 75 years old can ya? I have people asking me to make stuff on it all the time. Can't say the same for my friends' pellet grills. Very easy to learn and control. The firebox can be moved up right against the grates for as hot of a fire as you want, or all the way down for smoking.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pit Boss Sportsman combo. Grill on 1 side smoker on the other. Eliminated the old grill. I would never go back. Have had no problems, just have to clean it after about every 3-4 uses which is easy.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
We've had a GMG Jim Bowie for 4+ years. We've had to replace the igniter is about all. It's not perfect, sometimes you have to cycle it a few times to get it to start heating up. But other than that I don't have any complaints!

I will tell you one thing, if I was in the market for a new smoker, I'd be giving Josh a call at Smokin' Steel Grills in Bismarck. The guy is awesome in helping you trouble shoot anything and he has all kinds of pellets and grills on hand.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88