Property Tax Credit

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
More like Peter is as dumb as the rock in the street and hopefully Paul and Jill and Jack and..well you get the point can figure it out better then the local commissioners..who are again smart as a 🪨

You voted them in , that's your problem not ours.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
O So I read through the FAQ in Becker's website and I am further away from a yes vote than I ever was. There are too many questions and not enough answers.

The North Dakota Association of Counties has questioned how the property tax revenue would be replaced.

“Although the potential measure states the lost revenue would be replaced by State dollars, it is unclear where the legislature would find the required dollars,” the association said in a resolution.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

More bullshit.​

Will we see out-of-staters buy up all the land?​

Although not having property tax is surely an incentive for anyone to own property, without the expense of property tax, the price of the land is also likely to increase somewhat. This is not going to create some kind of “golden ticket” for out-of-staters. ND residents currently compete with out-of-staters to purchase property. In no way does this measure make it more difficult for ND residents to compete.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
And more.

Would it be better to just eliminate property tax for primary residences?​

Eliminating primary residence would be great, however, it leaves local budgeting in place, still reliant on the property tax payers remaining; commercial and agriculture. These areas would absorb the burden. There would be no benefit to people who rent apartments or homes, no benefit to small businesses, and far less positive impact on the overall economy. The benefit to every person in the state if property tax is entirely eliminated is far better than if it is eliminated for a primary residence alone. If primary residence tax is eliminated, it is not the first step; it is the only step. There will never again be the ability to eliminate the rest by popular vote.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
As far as I can tell, most of the ones bitching are the people that want this to pass . I didn't come on here bitching , I asked money questions that went unanswered.
If you want this to pass so bad then provide enough evidence to convince the people who are not interested in paying ANY portion of someone else's property taxes. So far you haven't, Its as simple as that.
since you are retired do or will you take advantage of the homestead tax credit ? And if the answer is yes why do you feel it is ok for someone else pay any portion of your property taxes ?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
since you are retired do or will you take advantage of the homestead tax credit ? And if the answer is yes why do you feel it is ok for someone else pay any portion of your property taxes ?

I'm ok with it because It's the way the the tax laws are written and I'm doing nothing wrong by taking advantage of a tax cut after paying my dues until age 65 . You would do the same thing if you were in my shoes.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
And more.

Would it be better to just eliminate property tax for primary residences?

Eliminating primary residence would be great, however, it leaves local budgeting in place, still reliant on the property tax payers remaining; commercial and agriculture. These areas would absorb the burden. There would be no benefit to people who rent apartments or homes, no benefit to small businesses, and far less positive impact on the overall economy. The benefit to every person in the state if property tax is entirely eliminated is far better than if it is eliminated for a primary residence alone. If primary residence tax is eliminated, it is not the first step; it is the only step. There will never again be the ability to eliminate the rest by popular vote.
Bingo. All or nothing.

I signed the petition to put it on the ballot and will be voting yes. The State has lots of income from energy and other taxes. The time to do it is now. Twenty years from now our energy income could be in the shitter. The fed/gov's BLM division just announced they want to curtail oil and gas and no coal on 58,000 acres and four million mineral acres.

https://www.eenews.net/articles/blm-aims-to-curb-north-dakota-coal-mining-oil-and-gas-production/

Senator John Heoven was in the news addressing the issue:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...K?cvid=cc4bcd5649df42ecb3eb4b5f2a99e5d3&ei=15

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm ok with it because It's the way the the tax laws are written and I'm doing nothing wrong by taking advantage of a tax cut after paying my dues until age 65 . You would do the same thing if you were in my shoes.
This vote is to change an unfair law

So since you are 65 you want your cake and eat it while have others pay for it. Doesn’t someone else have to make up the property tax exemption amount you are receiving ? Aren’t these your exact words ?

“ If you want this to pass so bad then provide enough evidence to convince the people who are not interested in paying ANY portion of someone else's property taxes. “

didn’t you say in an earlier post that you would be foolish to vote yes because you do qualify for the homestead act ?

it appears the real reason you are against this is you have an exemption which shows your claim of keeping it local is smoke and screens.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do have a son taking over.

I took a double whammy my whole life paying on my house and my farm. Working at a coal mine I paid both. When I retired at 55 from the coal mine I walked into the county tax office and informed them. They told me the law changed and now there is a three year look back income averaging. So I waited the three years and informed them. They said the bar had again been raised and now anything over $40,000 off farm income would disqualify me. My pension with a health benefit and my wife working part time put me at $41,000. Son-of-a-bitch.

I finally got out of paying on my home when I turned 65. When I was 25, I didn't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. I paid for every square inch of 800 acres owned now. I pay tax on that. Most goes to the school. Some goes to blade the gravel road.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do have a son taking over.

I took a double whammy my whole life paying on my house and my farm. Working at a coal mine I paid both. When I retired at 55 from the coal mine I walked into the county tax office and informed them. They told me the law changed and now there is a three year look back income averaging. So I waited the three years and informed them. They said the bar had again been raised and now anything over $40,000 off farm income would disqualify me. My pension with a health benefit and my wife working part time put me at $41,000. Son-of-a-bitch.

I finally got out of paying on my home when I turned 65. When I was 25, I didn't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. I paid for every square inch of 800 acres owned now. I pay tax on that. Most goes to the school. Some goes to blade the gravel road.

Pretty much the same, I had to work off the farm and didn't qualify and then

So since you are 65 you want your cake and eat it while have others pay for it. Doesn’t someone else have to make up the property tax exemption amount you are receiving ? Aren’t these your exact words ?

“ If you want this to pass so bad then provide enough evidence to convince the people who are not interested in paying ANY portion of someone else's property taxes. “

didn’t you say in an earlier post that you would be foolish to vote yes because you do qualify for the homestead act ?

it appears the real reason you are against this is you have an exemption which shows your claim of keeping it local is smoke and screens.
Yes, those are my exact words and now you are talking two totally different tax laws.
You and everyone else here are entitled to the homestead credit.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

No smoke and mirrors in my opinion to keep it local, I said right off the bat that my commissioners are doing a good job. Why would I want to get rid of something that has a proven track record ?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unfair law ? lol just because your not old enough yet . Am I supposed to feel sorry for everyone who is younger than me or what's the point ?

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Emergency aid is completely different than property tax so I don't get the comparison.
I'm glad we agree that we don't want our property taxes to go to other areas so we get dragged into someone else's problems. That's important. Does that mean you will vote against measure 4 ?
The point being made is one areas money is being sent to another areas problems. It happens all over in every level of government. So I understand you may not care about others problems but like it or not we all pay for eachothers issue.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The point being made is one areas money is being sent to another areas problems. It happens all over in every level of government. So I understand you may not care about others problems but like it or not we all pay for eachothers issue.

I don't know that it happens much at a county level like we are talking about. maybe fire dept or a snowplow once in a while and that's the way I'd like to keep it where I can see where it's being spent.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone have a link to a site that shows how much the state rakes in for property taxes county by county ? Seems like they hide it 50 pages deep.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 168
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 49