Property Tax Credit

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
While I understand your sentiment, Lord Burgum made one of the same points I've made from the beginning which is that eliminating property taxes will accelerate out-of-state and foreign ownership and control of North Dakota.

ND would become the only state in the country without property taxes. Where do you think the blue platers and sconis will choose to purchase lake property and retire... their shithole states or a better one with no property taxes?

Think Gates and China owning ND is already a problem? What better place to buy massive tracts of land than the only state without property taxes?
Plenty of this has been happening for awhile now. Seriously doubt eliminating property tax would cause a dramatic increase, it's just another scare tactic.

Greenhorn

★ Legendary Member
What are good-faith arguments for potential drawbacks of eliminating state property taxes? I’m all in favor of paying less, but this forum can be an echo chamber, so as an ignorant voter I’d like to hear some reasons why it could be a bad idea. Thanks

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
While I understand your sentiment, Lord Burgum made one of the same points I've made from the beginning which is that eliminating property taxes will accelerate out-of-state and foreign ownership and control of North Dakota.

ND would become the only state in the country without property taxes. Where do you think the blue platers and sconis will choose to purchase lake property and retire... their shithole states or a better one with no property taxes?

Think Gates and China owning ND is already a problem? What better place to buy massive tracts of land than the only state without property taxes?
What is the yearly tax on 640 acres farmland in ND ? Do you really think that little amount is going to stop someone from purchasing a section for 1.6 million. ( avg of $ 2,500.00 / acre ) If they have the 1.6 million saving a few thousand dollars a year in taxes is not going to change their decision either way.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Its a scare tactic. IMO i would not move to a state to save $5-10k a year.
It's a hell of a lot more than $5-10k/year on massive tracts of land.

And if the whole premise is that grandma is losing her house over property taxes then it sounds like $5-10k/yr is significant enough to make a move.

Can't have it both ways... property taxes are so insignificant that no entity large or small would make decisions based on property taxes, yet they are so egregiously high that people are losing their homes?

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just out of curiosity, by eliminating property taxes, where will the money come from to fund all of the schools, police departments, fire departments and infrastructure improvements needed throughout the state? Especially for small rural communities?

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just out of curiosity, by eliminating property taxes, where will the money come from to fund all of the schools, police departments, fire departments and infrastructure improvements needed throughout the state? Especially for small rural communities?
Most likely from sales tax.

but why not first streamline government spending AKA waste. Take a look at the wasted money being spent in Bismarck today changing all the intersections to meet ADA requirements and then 10' further down the sidewalk the hill is 4 or 5 x the max slope for ADA.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just mulling it over, but if property tax was to be eliminated, could it be put in place that if you don't show residency you would still pay property taxes and maybe even at a higher rate ? May keep a few out from buying up homes in small towns. Out of staters have mostly taken over Gackle, Fredonia, Streeter, Lehr and a few others towns housing already. We looked a few yrs ago at the availability, to be closer to our hunting grounds.
Right or wrong, don't know ?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just mulling it over, but if property tax was to be eliminated, could it be put in place that if you don't show residency you would still pay property taxes and maybe even at a higher rate ? May keep a few out from buying up homes in small towns. Out of staters have mostly taken over Gackle, Fredonia, Streeter, Lehr and a few others towns housing already. We looked a few yrs ago at the availability, to be closer to our hunting grounds.

I like that idea. (y)

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
And they have to pay a large fee to electronically post their land.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are good-faith arguments for potential drawbacks of eliminating state property taxes? I’m all in favor of paying less, but this forum can be an echo chamber, so as an ignorant voter I’d like to hear some reasons why it could be a bad idea. Thanks
If you own a lot of property it's a good deal for you.

If you don't own property you will be replacing the lost property tax revenue to the state.

The usual, less taxes for the wealthy, more burden on the so-called middle class.

Dryfly36

Founding Member
Founding Member
The state does not receive any of our property taxes, your local taxing authorities get the money. I think that the state should be working to get rid of our state income tax instead of the property taxes. No state income tax would benefit more people, and would likely spur additional growth in businesses locating in ND.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe the brain child of this anti-property tax initiative pays a little over $100k/year into Burleigh county.

Remember, it's not just little old ladies and farmers who pay property tax. Business owners do as well, and they are well known to pinch pennies in furtherance of their profits.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The state does not receive any of our property taxes, your local taxing authorities get the money. I think that the state should be working to get rid of our state income tax instead of the property taxes. No state income tax would benefit more people, and would likely spur additional growth in businesses locating in ND.

For most people that would be like trading steak for bread crumbs. No thanks.

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
how would you feel if the property tax was eliminated on primary residence only ? property tax on all ag land ( it is a business ) taxes on commercial property ( again it is a business ) and property taxes on all 2nd properties such as lake / hunting cabins, second homes.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you own a lot of property it's a good deal for you.

If you don't own property you will be replacing the lost property tax revenue to the state.

The usual, less taxes for the wealthy, more burden on the so-called middle class.
sales tax hits everyone the same. if you have more money most will spend it = more tax. if you have less money to spend it can't be spent = less tax.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
First thing that should be done is if you are over 65 you are exempt from property taxes on a primary home only. It is crazy that you can lose your home over property taxes . Farmers who are over 65 get an exemption on the home quarter .

Then they could be dropped by at least 50% with the money the state has in its coffers

agriffith

Founding Member
Founding Member
sales tax hits everyone the same. if you have more money most will spend it = more tax. if you have less money to spend it can't be spent = less tax.
To a certain degree this is true, but not completely. The wealthy tend to travel more & spend some of this money out of state. So the sales tax won't necessarily end up in the state's coffers.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 26