Property Tax Credit

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
Property taxes are local. city, county, school district, and park board. Without property taxes how are these things going to be funded? How would it work to have all these local things decided on by people in Bismarck? Now if a town needs/wants a new community hall that decision is made locally. There may be a tax increase involved. If that is funded by Bismarck they might as well, ask for the super- duper double throwdown community hall with a pool and indoor walking track. Will decisions be made in the 80-day legislative session or by some appointed board? Will spending go up even more because it is just state money now? Are all communities going to be treated the same?

This measure only bans property taxes based on assessed value. Specials would still exist, and taxes could be based on something like square footage or acreage. I don't see how that would be better.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Isn't it a fallacy that the state collects or keeps any of your property taxes?
True but the state collects enough to cover those property taxes already. Cut the fat and waste and there's plenty of money for the necessities! WTF are my state taxes being used on now? Income, sales, fuel, vehicle.......seriously wtf

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
...This measure only bans property taxes based on assessed value. Specials would still exist, and taxes could be based on something like square footage or acreage. I don't see how that would be better.
Well, for one thing, they couldn't arbitrarily decide every damn year that somehow my property is worth more than it was last year. Congratulations, you get to pay more tax!

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
How would Bismarck decide what gets funded from all the local requests? If you think that half of government spending can be slashed so easily you are kidding yourself. Just Marathon Oil pays 1.6 million in property taxes in Stark County. They would be off the hook and we would be stuck with the bill.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just end the tax and cut the Health and Social Service budget in half to start with.😬
This...anybody like how our taxes paid for the nice brand new homeless shelter south of cash wise in downtown bismarck? Where if your homeless you can get a nice new apt and still bring booz in? Guess who paid for that! Beyond shelter in fargo begged for our tax money to build that..should be one of the first "businesses" (money beggers) to be out of business. We have a social problem where we feel we need to help people that may or may not need help with the most up to date most expensive options available. If you want help you will find it and it doesn't need to be a shiny new building the tax payor funds.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My only issue with this is the Kids, there should be a way for them to be taken care of . One of the things that should never happen is hungry kids. However I know of families that are totally cashed up but the kids are on multiple social programs , One area that should definitely be cleaned up
If your gonna help the kids so be it but if govt helps the kids they also have access to any and all financials coming into the parent or parents.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is this one of those we gotta pass it first and figure it out later deals? I'm all for getting rid of it. But it will be a huge mess most likely.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How would Bismarck decide what gets funded from all the local requests? If you think that half of government spending can be slashed so easily you are kidding yourself. Just Marathon Oil pays 1.6 million in property taxes in Stark County. They would be off the hook and we would be stuck with the bill.

How would we be stuck with the bill? They are going to come to us and say you owe money for marathon? Jeezus can't believe that's even a thought.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Is this one of those we gotta pass it first and figure it out later deals? I'm all for getting rid of it. But it will be a huge mess most likely.
Part of me wants it to be a mess. The legislature that have been in for how long and created the property tax problem will now be forced to deal with it..ya know do what they were elected to do....could it create a bigger problem since they are all geniuses? Sure..but then in my opinion you start weeding the dumbasses out. The people will get sick of it.

Last edited:

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did Montana get rid of property tax, or Wyoming? Nope. If people want it they will buy it regardless of property tax. You think a billionaire gives a shit about a property tax? That chump change to them. The people it affects are "normal" people.
Corporations have already bought up many residential neighborhoods and no property tax might drive more sales but they have already bought all they can.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
The state does not receive any of our property taxes, your local taxing authorities get the money. I think that the state should be working to get rid of our state income tax instead of the property taxes. No state income tax would benefit more people, and would likely spur additional growth in businesses locating in ND.
The local taxing authorities are the ones who keep raising the property taxes instead of becoming more efficient with the high amount of funds they already get. I don’t feel sorry for anyone in government who has to deal with this because they all had the opportunity to correct course before it came to this drastic measure.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
The local taxing authorities are the ones who keep raising the property taxes instead of becoming more efficient with the high amount of funds they already get. I don’t feel sorry for anyone in government who has to deal with this because they all had the opportunity to correct course before it came to this drastic measure.
Isn’t it state law to reassess property values every year ? Who makes state law

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m trying to figure out how and why the ballot measure sponsors would leave out IMHO the most likely way to get it passed and that’s “primary residence” I’m trying to decide if it was intentional and there’s more to the story than meets the eye and it will end up screwing us in the long run if it does pass and if someone bigger is behind a curtain using us useful idiots to push it. If they made it “primary residence” it would pass without a doubt

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agree.

Most of these hungry kids seem to have a mom with tats, iPhones, and an SUV, and the baby daddy seems to somehow not be held accountable. But me as a father am accountable for feeding this fuckers kids.

Something needs to change in this system, and the reservation system has run its course too.
This is what pisses me off the most. We one time bought boots, mittens, etc for a coworker of my wife who couldn't afford them because we didn't want her kid suffering in the cold. They were at Pizza Hut the next evening, and she bought a camper the next summer and parked it out at the lake. Priorities, I guess...

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’m trying to figure out how and why the ballot measure sponsors would leave out IMHO the most likely way to get it passed and that’s “primary residence” I’m trying to decide if it was intentional and there’s more to the story than meets the eye and it will end up screwing us in the long run if it does pass and if someone bigger is behind a curtain using us useful idiots to push it. If they made it “primary residence” it would pass without a doubt
If passed cant the legislatures put it as primary residence only? Not being a smart ass, it’s an honest question that I don’t know the answer to. I always thought the legislatures could impose rules/laws around it.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
If passed cant the legislatures put it as primary residence only? Not being a smart ass, it’s an honest question that I don’t know the answer to. I always thought the legislatures could impose rules/laws around it.
I don’t know and I had that same question myself. Being they completely butchered and molested the medicinal mary Jane bill I’d imagine they have that authority 🤷‍♂️

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Corporations have already bought up many residential neighborhoods and no property tax might drive more sales but they have already bought all they can.
Kind of what I was getting at. To me the property tax to rich people and or corporations isn’t going to make them steer clear of a property. The taxes are nothing to them. When your worth 10 billion do you really care if you have to pay 10k in Taxes a year? I doubt it. Sure if they can save 10k a year they will take it, but I doubt it would influence a sale.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 26