Property Tax Credit

Average_NDA_Member

What’r you some sorts civics teacher you need to prove to me the state ain’t gettin their cut anyway it don’t matter where the tax goes its all a scam let’s just get a new complicated law on the books and count on the same folks who are causin the problems to fix em

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Once the property tax is eliminated the state legislature can come up with a bill to impose a non-resident property owner tax of some sort. There's all sorts of ways they can still get tax money, trust me they will find a way!
100% agree. They will figure a way. Like insaid earlier...you will find out who is really a republican with what they come up with. No more blaming other sources...

Last edited:

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So let's do nothing and wait for a real plan :unsure:
Better yet..let's wait for the legislature to take initiative to create a real plan...that's funny shit right there......isn't that why we are where we are now? Pass this thing and make them do there job since they haven't yet.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The state does not levy, collect or get any of your property tax.
Explain to me why they are involved with property tax then? Counties/cities collect...local govt commissioners etc set...yet for some reason the state is involved...Said earlier assessor specifically told me if they don't assess the way the state wants them to the state will then come in and handle it...so sure is the state directly involved with collecting or saying how much? No, but they are in the background telling the local guys how they want it done..you related to bergum? Easy way to get rid of that...cancel it. See where else they can create a mess but atleast it's off your property.

Last edited:

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I do have a solution to all this...people can choose. The guys that like having it on there property can continue down the road of property tax. The guys that don't can check a box that they don't want to pay property taxes at the end of the year......that could be interesting, no?

Tinesdown

Established Member
So is last years credit applied 2024 year so its a 500 dollar check was told it applies to next year taxes. Sorry did not read posts but is it a hold over from yearly basis?

Tinesdown

Established Member
Have a grip about property tax i have not understood the evaluation process. How are some homes taxed more than others so is the tax just off what the evaluation is or why do some have a 3500$ bill an some have 2500$ without bieng inside to see what the condition is.

Tinesdown

Established Member
Is it worth having a home evaluation to look at value of a house or do they go by sq footage

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure it's been said in this thread already, but the issue with property tax is that even if you own property free and clear (no mortgage), if you don't continue to pay property tax (with money that's already been taxed) the county can take your land to settle the tax bill. And to top it off, they take your $200k property for $10k of taxes, sell it, and put the other $190k in their pocket instead of giving it back to you (not how it's supposed to work but that's how they do it in a lot of places - if you can't afford the property taxes you can't afford the attorney to fight them).

If you don't pay for license tabs for your vehicle (which is just a tax) you can't legally drive on the roads, but you retain ownership of the vehicle. If you don't want to pay sales tax, then you can't buy the item.

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Read some good comments here. No property tax on homesteaded property (not sure how that works with farms - home quarter?), but continue to have property tax on commercial, industrial, income and recreational properties.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member

North Dakota Tax Office received 137,000 applications for Primary Residence Credit this year​

BISMARCK, N.D. (KFYR) - The primary residence tax credit was established during the last legislative session in 2023 as part of a more than $500 million tax relief package. The Primary Residence Credit was a part of the property tax relief program within the bill as a way to provide tax relief to all citizens in the state. The requirements are that you own and occupy your home as a primary residence.

Tax Commissioner Brian Kroshus has been busy receiving and processing the results from the Primary Residence Credit as this was the first year people were able to apply. He said the participation rate was incredibly high, stretching into the 90% range. Kroshus said his office received 137,000 applications.

“Up to $500 with property values nowadays and tax obligations, most people did receive or will receive the full $500. That will be reflected on the property tax statement they see this coming December,” said Kroshus.

Kroshus said the overall process went really well. He said it was well received and the one common theme his office heard from the public throughout the process was that it was easy.

“Not difficult to understand and took only a few minutes to fill out the application. Citizens were very pleased with the experience,” said Kroshus.

As far as issues that arose this year, Kroshus said there is one in particular, and they are looking to address two areas of focus in the upcoming legislative session. One is homes in trust that didn’t qualify, and the other is the possibility of expanding the amount of the Primary Residence Credit.

“From $500 to $1,000 is a pretty common thought, and it could potentially be even more,” said Kroshus.

If you weren’t able to take advantage of the Primary Residence Credit this year, Kroshus said you will have the opportunity again next year.

“If someone did not qualify this year because they didn’t own a home, we’ll have some new home purchases, people that’ll move from a renting situation to home ownership. They’ll certainly be eligible to apply,” said Kroshus.

At the end of the day, Kroshus said whenever the state can provide relief to the citizens of North Dakota through tax relief programs and return some dollars to them, it’s a win-win.

Applications for next year’s Primary Residence Credit open on Jan. 1 and will remain open until March 31. For more information, click here.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member

Will there be any tax relief bills in the upcoming legislative session? ND tax commissioner explains​

BISMARCK, N.D. (KFYR) - During the last legislative session, North Dakota lawmakers passed a more than $500 million tax relief package, which included the primary residence tax credit. The next legislative session is a little over four months away, and the question becomes whether or not there will be any more tax relief-related bills.

Tax Commissioner Brian Kroshus said it is safe to say at this point in time that there is already a variety of different tax relief proposals out there.

Kroshus said whenever the state can provide relief, particularly when the state is in an over-collection situation, they like to do that. He said the state is collecting more than the North Dakota government needs to function. Kroshus said that rather than expanding the budget or placing it in reserves, it’s a perfect time to try and return some dollars to citizens.

“That can be through a credit, like the property tax credits we’ve talked about, homestead, primary residence. It can also, perhaps the most effective mechanism is not to collect it to begin with and just keeping it in the hands of citizens through reduced rates,” said Kroshus.

Kroshus said anytime the state can do that and still maintain quality services, that’s a win-win. He said it creates a very healthy balance.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have a grip about property tax i have not understood the evaluation process. How are some homes taxed more than others so is the tax just off what the evaluation is or why do some have a 3500$ bill an some have 2500$ without bieng inside to see what the condition is.
They value it off of comparables in the area. Houses that have sold that are similar to yours. So it does take into consideration the sq foot, the condition inside and outside of the house. The one problem I have, and this happened to me, is there are no comparables that sold in my area..so guess what? It goes off what the assessor feels it could sell for...thats pretty open to interpretation I would say. Also like people have said, out of state money can come and purchase a house for way more then it really is worth..happened close to me and they go off that value as well. Guys on here bitch about out of state money flooding into the area if this were to pass but they don't realize it's already here...and current property taxes aren't going to deter them when they were paying triple that in CA.

Last edited:

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
The value it off of comparables in the area. Houses that have sold that are similar to yours. So it does take into consideration the sq foot, the condition inside and outside of the house. The one problem I can have and this happened to me is there are no comparables that sold in my area..so guess what? It goes off what the assessor feels it could sell for...thats pretty open to interpretation I would say. Also like people have said out of state money can come and purchase a housr for way more then it really is worth..happened close to me and they go off that value as well. Guys on here bitch about out of state money flooding into he area if this were to pass but they don't realize it's already here...and current property taxes aren't going to deter them when they were paying triple that in CA.
Funny thing is I had a mortgage company do a reassessment for me about the same time as the county reassessment my property’s value. The county came in $75,000 more than the other for the mortgage company. They both use comparable listings to generate the value. Property tax system is messed up.

But the question is if there is enough property tax payers in the state to actually vote this system out. Property tax payers might be outnumbered! Downfall of the government letting corporations buying up all the houses instead of adding citizen taxpayers.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://kfgo.com/2024/08/21/1037457/

Fargo City Commissioner Dave Piepkorn says the ballot proposal to increase the sales tax to support public safety will complicate the budget process.

The fire and police unions want a quarter-cent sales tax. It would raise an estimated $8 million a year and be in effect for 20 years. Piepkorn and Mayor Mahoney voted against the idea, which was approved 3-to-2.

“We’re going to set our budget in about a month and so we can’t you can’t manage a budget by this way,” Piepkorn said. “It’ll be interesting to see what the voters think. To me, that’s what commissioners are for.”

Piepkorn says he fears that Fargo voters will be overwhelmed in November when they consider the public safety tax, a lodging tax, and a tax that would go towards remodeling the Fargodome.

“The Fargodome, the Convention and Visitors Bureau tax and the Firefighter Union tax … Then on top of that, the Mayor proposed an 11% increase in sole property taxes are going up plus a utility tax. So that’s five new taxes and I think the average person is gonna just be overwhelmed and react negatively. ”

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 118
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 38