Property Tax Credit

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://kfgo.com/2024/08/21/1037457/

Fargo City Commissioner Dave Piepkorn says the ballot proposal to increase the sales tax to support public safety will complicate the budget process.

The fire and police unions want a quarter-cent sales tax. It would raise an estimated $8 million a year and be in effect for 20 years. Piepkorn and Mayor Mahoney voted against the idea, which was approved 3-to-2.

“We’re going to set our budget in about a month and so we can’t you can’t manage a budget by this way,” Piepkorn said. “It’ll be interesting to see what the voters think. To me, that’s what commissioners are for.”

Piepkorn says he fears that Fargo voters will be overwhelmed in November when they consider the public safety tax, a lodging tax, and a tax that would go towards remodeling the Fargodome.

“The Fargodome, the Convention and Visitors Bureau tax and the Firefighter Union tax … Then on top of that, the Mayor proposed an 11% increase in sole property taxes are going up plus a utility tax. So that’s five new taxes and I think the average person is gonna just be overwhelmed and react negatively. ”
And 50% of NDr's are going to vote against removing the property tax. :mad:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
IDK --- i think the majority may say enough is enough. I say the bill passes. The outcome i say they will just find another way to pay. Sales taxes in Fargo are getting close to the highest states in the country if all those bills pass. Quit spending money like water.

Lately alot of Reagan tic toks on inflation. Trump needs to get his head out of his ass and forget about calling names and how great he is and get to the numbers. All he has to do is repeat word for word Reagan and he is in like flin.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
IDK --- i think the majority may say enough is enough. I say the bill passes. The outcome i say they will just find another way to pay. Sales taxes in Fargo are getting close to the highest states in the country if all those bills pass. Quit spending money like water.

Lately alot of Reagan tic toks on inflation. Trump needs to get his head out of his ass and forget about calling names and how great he is and get to the numbers. All he has to do is repeat word for word Reagan and he is in like flin.
Politicians and gov employees do not care what the cost is to citizens, they want what they want. How many times have you heard a gov agency/dept head say ( it is in my budget and if I don't spend it I will not get it back next year. Instead of pushing for budget savings they push to spend their entire budget for the year and then ask for an increase the next. They don't care they will just raise our taxes while we as citizens will need to tighten our belt to afford them.

After this property tax elimination is passed we need to move on to the departments and clip their wings on what they enforce on the average citizen.

One area that pisses me off is the City of Bismarck & Mandan Landscaping ordinances. They force 10's of thousands of dollars in landscaping on commercial property owners. Last year we completed a commercial project in Bismarck where the required landscaping was over $100,000.00.

Look at the Blvd trees that block the view of traffic when pulling out of a parking lot or side street. There are areas in Bismarck that your entire nose of your vehicle is in the driving lane before you can see around the F'n trees.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
That’s why I believe a good plan would be to incentivize budget and department over expenditures would be to give each dept head a percent based bonus yearly on the amount they slashed out of their budgets. You can bet your ass they will slash the tires off their own mothers sedan if it means more money in their own pockets yearly.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
That’s why I believe a good plan would be to incentivize budget and department over expenditures would be to give each dept head a percent based bonus yearly on the amount they slashed out of their budgets. You can bet your ass they will slash the tires off their own mothers sedan if it means more money in their own pockets yearly.
Start with a bloated budget and slashing/savings is easy - Mark up a product before putting it on sale

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
I understand the frustration with property tax.
Currently there is no state property tax, at least to my knowledge. I am just a simple home owner, and my property taxes is collected by the county.
The proposed measure would end property tax based on assessed value of property and rely on the STATE to fund budgets for counties, cities and school districts.
Special assessments will still be done, but they cannot be tied to property tax if the measure passes. So I guess expect huge "special assessment taxes" in the future.
It has been found unconstitutional to tax out-of-state people but not in-state, so good luck trying to stick it to out of state land owners unless the state constitution is changed.

The State of North Dakota would have to pay approximately $1.329 billion more per year to make up for lost property taxes that provide vital public services. Where is that money going to come from? I am all for slashing spending, but what spending is targeted to be slashed?

I am planning on voting to eliminate property taxes as of now, but I see big trouble on the horizon with how 1.3 billion dollars will be replaced. All I can say is good luck slashing spending by 1.3+ billion per year also (2.6+ billion per biennium) I have zero confidence in our elected reps to figure this out if property tax is just eliminated, someone will get burned I guarantee it, just hope it isn't me or the working people.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Currently there is no state property tax, at least to my knowledge. I am just a simple home owner, and my property taxes is collected by the county.
The proposed measure would end property tax based on assessed value of property and rely on the STATE to fund budgets for counties, cities and school districts.
Special assessments will still be done, but they cannot be tied to property tax if the measure passes. So I guess expect huge "special assessment taxes" in the future.
It has been found unconstitutional to tax out-of-state people but not in-state, so good luck trying to stick it to out of state land owners unless the state constitution is changed.

The State of North Dakota would have to pay approximately $1.329 billion more per year to make up for lost property taxes that provide vital public services. Where is that money going to come from? I am all for slashing spending, but what spending is targeted to be slashed?

I am planning on voting to eliminate property taxes as of now, but I see big trouble on the horizon with how 1.3 billion dollars will be replaced. All I can say is good luck slashing spending by 1.3+ billion per year also (2.6+ billion per biennium) I have zero confidence in our elected reps to figure this out if property tax is just eliminated, someone will get burned I guarantee it, just hope it isn't me or the working people.
Local and state politicians had a chance to keep property taxes from getting out of control. I really don’t feel bad that it is now their issue to resolve. I think we will see a big rural urban divide with this vote. The small towns with an average home value of $150k is not suffering as bad as the big city homeowner. No reason property taxes should be $500+ a month on an average house. Tough decisions need to be made!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Local and state politicians had a chance to keep property taxes from getting out of control. I really don’t feel bad that it is now their issue to resolve. I think we will see a big rural urban divide with this vote. The small towns with an average home value of $150k is not suffering as bad as the big city homeowner. No reason property taxes should be $500+ a month on an average house. Tough decisions need to be made!
I haven't read back through all the comments so maybe this has been addressed but I'm skeptical how the tax will be replaced. It seems to me the guy with a 150k home will end up paying his fair share plus a portion of the million dollar homeowners property tax liability in one way or another. Unless they magically come up with a pro-rated formula to regain the $$$ .

grumster

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's kind of funny and sad at the same time. What do I care if the state can't meet its financial obligations on borrowed money? Perhaps they should work for us?? I mean our forefathers started a war on such just things.. so many simps.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why don't you guys go to your counties or townships and eliminate your property taxes locally and let the rest of us deal with out own problems. Some townships might want to keep them. Hypothetically speaking.

grumster

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Why don't you guys go to your counties or townships and eliminate your property taxes locally and let the rest of us deal with out own problems. Some townships might want to keep them. Hypothetically speaking.
You do realize with property taxes we don't own shit?... right? And here I thought you were a true liberal.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Special assessment is ONLY for repairs to roads/curbing/sidewalk. Has nothing to do with anything but the upkeep of roads/sidewalk around your property in Bis anyways. Not sure how ending property tax would magically increase these costs?

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agree with this...IF the STATE wasn't pushing for the increases. But yes local govt is who sets/collects

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once the property tax is eliminated the state legislature can come up with a bill to impose a non-resident property owner tax of some sort. There's all sorts of ways they can still get tax money, trust me they will find a way!
Agree. I want to see the bigger cities ie Grand City the Metro and others scramble. They spend way too much on giving to much more than the basic services.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agree. I want to see the bigger cities ie Grand City the Metro and others scramble. They spend way too much on giving to much more than the basic services.

Not me, I live out in the boondocks and don't want to be part of a decision how a big city will pay their bills for the exact reason you just listed.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
A liberal wants someone else to cover the cost of their infrastructure. The state paying for roads in Ashley ND is exhibit A. Labels suck. Don't like my view on property taxes, label me a liberal. You automatically win. What a deal that is. Easy peasy

grumster

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A liberal wants someone else to cover the cost of their infrastructure. The state paying for roads in Ashley ND is exhibit A. Labels suck. Don't like my view on property taxes, label me a liberal. You automatically win. What a deal that is. Easy peasy
Easy big guy I'm only making an informed opinion of your own words... perhaps you can clarify your identity?
Me, I'm a populace nationalist.. ya know America first.

grumster

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Funny, if we didn't have labels how would we identify ourselfs?? Does man and women a aggression upon your ideals? It's a fare question.. those are labels, see where I'm taking you?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 127
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 41