Property Tax Credit

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really???? Do you realize how many projects go over budget that nobody gives a shit about? How much travel expenses are unaccounted for? How much shady money shit in general happens right under our noses (Stenehjem and his cronies, the pedophile, Jason Dockter, it goes on).

I know it would feel good to stick it to the man but there’s no way we come out ahead. I foresee Fargo sucking up more to create safe spaces for immigrants, and the small towns can go fuck themselves. If you think it’s hard to get an answer from the local county Joe wait until the geniuses like Eberle, Schriber-Beck, the Rubys, and Rios get to decide who pays and where it goes.

Why not an initiated measure that clearly states primary dwelling goes untaxed, commercial and agricultural property still is, and clean up school budgeting. Everyone is happy unless this is some sort of angry mob group-think.
I think we can all agree that ideally this is what we all truly actually want. I think even SLE and I could agree here. Where the difference in opinions lie is a good chunk of us aren’t going to wait around another 2-7 years while they piss down our backs and tell us it’s raining anymore. History shows us once the heat is off them by way of initiated measure they’ll beat around the bush another 7 years. Some of us are straight up done with it and will vote yes. Some of you want to give it more time to let them figure something else out and are scared of the potential repercussions. Fair enough. I can respect a difference in opinion. But I think we can all agree, or at least the majority is that the property tax system as a whole needs major reform. My vote is yes and it would take a lot to change it at this point.

Last edited:

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Clearly bravo, it's a safe bet you do not own any commercial or agricultural property.
I respect much of what you say Fritz but I agree any land or property that produces income should continue to be taxed IMO. What’s tax on a quarter of land these days anyhow? Most agricultural producers are already exempt from taxes on their homestead. Out of curiosity does anyone know does that exemption only cover the homestead if they live on the farm? I know a lot of guys commute from nearby towns to the farm these days.

Freedom

★★★★ Legendary Member
And there aren't flaws to yours? This is funny.
It's quite hilarious really, I'm more than willing to admit the current system is flawed. But you're using a false claim to justify blowing up the system because it MIGHT shake out better for you. In the end it's just the same passing the buck with zero actual plan to cut spending

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's quite hilarious really, I'm more than willing to admit the current system is flawed. But you're using a false claim to justify blowing up the system because it MIGHT shake out better for you. In the end it's just the same passing the buck with zero actual plan to cut spending
O

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you imagine if the 13 colonies had the mentality of some here….. well we don’t know what’s gunna happen and it’s kinda scary so we better just continue to be dominated and decimated by big daddy…… tax me harder big daddy!

You overlook the obvious here. The colonists didn't have the opportunity to vote for either the British Parliament, or the King of England.

You have the option here in the U.S. to vote for those who make these laws. Just because you don't like the net result, doesn't mean you aren't represented. If there are no politicians you like enough to vote for, feel free to run for office and see what the electorate thinks of your ideas.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
@Davey Crockett I think I might understand what you are saying. Let me ask you a couple questions. I live in Bismarck and my house’s assessed value keeps increasing at a crazy rate which in turn increases my property taxes. Increases of over 10% a year for several years in a row. Are you saying that where you live, you are not seeing similar increases? Also, let’s say we both live in a 300K home, would your taxes be substantially less than mine because your city and county tax at a much lower rate?

No need to go to the Turtle Mountain area, I can answer that as a rural Burleigh resident. My taxes have remained "reasonable" for the services I receive and what I pay. Well, I haven't opened this year's tax notice yet, but that's been the trend.

So yes, I can say with pretty good certainty that the mill rate on my property taxes are less than yours if you live in Bismarck city limits. Why? Because I don't want/need many of the things Bismarck residents demand of their politicians. No gated snowplows out here. I am also not on subsidized sewer and have no street lights, curbs, city sanitation, or gutters. I have to pay outright for all of those if I choose to have them, so I am not inclined to help pay for what the big city peeps are expecting, because lumping me in with them on another tax plan is exactly that, a plan to have me pay for what they receive.

This is a HUGE attempt to transfer wealth via lumping rural and city dwellers together for paying for local govt services at a state level. Maybe if this passes, I'll sell my rural home and buy something in a more ritzy area of Bismarck so I'll get more govt services. After all, if I'm going to have to pay for it...I should at least get the benefits of it. Yep, I'll buy some river frontage and demand flood protection, city sewer, city water, city garbage rates, snowplows with gates to keep my driveway clear, and omnipresent law enforcement to keep the riffraff out will be just a few things I demand. Some nice boulevard trees for my front yard that I didn't have to personally buy from Cashman's would be nice as well.

Yeah, this is very much a rural vs urban fight, and I'm on the side of rural.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
You overlook the obvious here. The colonists didn't have the opportunity to vote for either the British Parliament, or the King of England.

You have the option here in the U.S. to vote for those who make these laws. Just because you don't like the net result, doesn't mean you aren't represented. If there are no politicians you like enough to vote for, feel free to run for office and see what the electorate thinks of your ideas.
How do you know they didn’t vote? We’re you there? And perhaps I will someday, once I’m less busy raising freedom loving, free thinking constitutional Americans. I’d likely have a hard time securing 1 out of 35 votes however as my main platform would run on slashing the state government in half. Including spending. This wouldn’t go over well with many of you that are in desperate need of daddy looking over you and taxing you harder. I’d also say what’s on my mind and as can imagine this wouldn’t go over well in politics. Let me ask you a question Allen as you seem to be ok with your taxes…… do you support taxing unrealized gains? And if so then are you in support of Kamala’s proposal to tax unrealized gains? And lastly are you a fkn liberal?

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I respect much of what you say Fritz but I agree any land or property that produces income should continue to be taxed IMO. What’s tax on a quarter of land these days anyhow? Most agricultural producers are already exempt from taxes on their homestead. Out of curiosity does anyone know does that exemption only cover the homestead if they live on the farm? I know a lot of guys commute from nearby towns to the farm these days.
The home and farm buildings are tax exempt on ag land only. This is something I do not agree with though, as these should be under the same tax as any other residence. I live on a farmstead but do not farm, the neighbor farms, has a brand new house, a couple nice new shops and his property tax bill on that quarter of land is a tenth of what I pay for my house on 13 acres! Just because you are a farmer why should your home not be taxed the same as anyone elses? Not to mention everything is a tax write off for a farmer.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
The home and farm buildings are tax exempt on ag land only. This is something I do not agree with though, as these should be under the same tax as any other residence. I live on a farmstead but do not farm, the neighbor farms, has a brand new house, a couple nice new shops and his property tax bill on that quarter of land is a tenth of what I pay for my house on 13 acres! Just because you are a farmer why should your home not be taxed the same as anyone elses? Not to mention everything is a tax write off for a farmer.
Your neighbor has a brand new house and a couple nice shops. To have that he maybe owns nine more quarters that he pays tax on. Now you are equal.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's called a history book.

I am going to guess you're at least as liberal as I. Wanting someone else to pay for your stuff is as liberal as it gets.
How do we know the settlers didn’t have an initiated measure to be done with paying the kings taxes and some of the colonists were super scared of what would become of the colonies without daddy England there to watch over them voted against it 🤷‍♂️ I mean do you really trust a history book pushed by the Rockefellers or Churchills…… and no I don’t want anyone to pay for my shit. I want to be done paying for everyone else’s shit. If we need a method for collection for services and social programs than it needs to be a fair system. No exemptions. And no taxing unrealized gains on property. Flat tax across the board. I’m not in Bismarck city limits either and I’m not ok with what has happened the last 5-6 years.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
No we are not, not even close. He also makes a shit ton of money off said acres that are taxed at about $13/acre!
Keep it up and Fritz will have his FB buddy call you out on his terrible radio show.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No need to go to the Turtle Mountain area, I can answer that as a rural Burleigh resident. My taxes have remained "reasonable" for the services I receive and what I pay. Well, I haven't opened this year's tax notice yet, but that's been the trend.

So yes, I can say with pretty good certainty that the mill rate on my property taxes are less than yours if you live in Bismarck city limits. Why? Because I don't want/need many of the things Bismarck residents demand of their politicians. No gated snowplows out here. I am also not on subsidized sewer and have no street lights, curbs, city sanitation, or gutters. I have to pay outright for all of those if I choose to have them, so I am not inclined to help pay for what the big city peeps are expecting, because lumping me in with them on another tax plan is exactly that, a plan to have me pay for what they receive.

This is a HUGE attempt to transfer wealth via lumping rural and city dwellers together for paying for local govt services at a state level. Maybe if this passes, I'll sell my rural home and buy something in a more ritzy area of Bismarck so I'll get more govt services. After all, if I'm going to have to pay for it...I should at least get the benefits of it. Yep, I'll buy some river frontage and demand flood protection, city sewer, city water, city garbage rates, snowplows with gates to keep my driveway clear, and omnipresent law enforcement to keep the riffraff out will be just a few things I demand. Some nice boulevard trees for my front yard that I didn't have to personally buy from Cashman's would be nice as well.

Yeah, this is very much a rural vs urban fight, and I'm on the side of rural.
All of those things you mentioned are billed separate from taxes..sewage, water etc..the only one that I could see mentioned in property taxes would probably be snow removal.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
No we are not, not even close. He also makes a shit ton of money off said acres that are taxed at about $13/acre!
A small farm today is one thousand acres. Using your $13/acre equals thirteen thousand dollars.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
All of those things you mentioned are billed separate from taxes..sewage, water etc..the only one that I could see mentioned in property taxes would probably be snow removal.
FWIW, most of those services are not provided at full cost in a great number of communities across the country (and I would assume the same in ND), hence they are subsidized by other income streams. The water bill is the one that generally tends to turn a profit and is used to subsidize other govt services. While I am not 100% sure on why that is, I suspect it's because one can always cut back on water used (not watering lawns, gardens, washing vehicles at home, etc), but it's nearly impossible to cut back on your need for snow removal, garbage pickup, etc.

So, are they billed individually to the residents? Yes, but not always to the full cost.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
FWIW, most of those services are not provided at full cost in a great number of communities across the country (and I would assume the same in ND), hence they are subsidized by other income streams. The water bill is the one that generally tends to turn a profit and is used to subsidize other govt services. While I am not 100% sure on why that is, I suspect it's because one can always cut back on water used (not watering lawns, gardens, washing vehicles at home, etc), but it's nearly impossible to cut back on your need for snow removal, garbage pickup, etc.

So, are they billed individually to the residents? Yes, but not always to the full cost.
Not worried about other places in the country. In Bis they are billed for cost if not they then do specials. Just recieved a survey on garbage pickup. Price will double if it stays the same. The focus is on property tax.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not worried about other places in the country. In Bis they are billed for cost if not they then do specials. Just recieved a survey on garbage pickup. Price will double if it stays the same. The focus is on property tax.

Are you saying that in snowy winters you have received some form of snow removal bill in the form of a special assessment?

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bravo Reply.JPG

Clearly bravo, it's a safe bet you do not own any commercial or agricultural property

Well looks to me that farmers already get a pass on property taxes on their dwelling, why not extend that to everyone?

https://www.tax.nd.gov/tax-exemptions-credits/property-tax-credits-exemptions

Farmer Property Tax.JPG

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 65
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 49