Remove Plug From Boat Law

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.inforum.com/news/3986713-nd-expands-boat-plug-rule-statewide-prevent-spread-zebra-mussels

BISMARCK – An emergency rule implemented last August that requires boaters to pull their drain plugs when entering North Dakota or exiting the Red River will be expanded statewide next month in an effort to prevent the spread of zebra mussels and other aquatic nuisance species. The Legislature's Administrative Rules Committee approved the rule change Monday as requested by the state Game and Fish Department. Game and Fish regulations already require boaters to drain water from bilges, livewells, baitwells and motors before leaving a body of water. But boaters are allowed to leave the drain plugs inserted while traveling, whereas Minnesota and South Dakota both require plugs to be out when boats are in transit. "All we're saying now is keep that plug out until you get to the next lake," Fisheries Division Chief Greg Power said. Violators of the rule will face a $100 administrative fee. If aquatic nuisance species are found in the water being transported, they also could face a Class B misdemeanor punishable by up to $1,500 and 30 days in jail. The expanded rule takes effect April 1, coinciding with the start of Game and Fish licensing year. "It really, really should be pretty painless," Power said. Not all boat owners agree. In one of the three written comments submitted to Game and Fish, Marc Schulz of Riverdale called it "a radical overreaction to the problem with little impact on the final result." Schulz, a 64-year-old retired coal industry worker, said in an interview Monday that he lives just six blocks from Lake Sakakawea and that it's been six or seven years since he's had water in the bilges of his three boats. Pulling the interior drain plug is inconvenient because he has to open a sealed cap to reach it in a blind area with sharp corners and screws, he said. "Fishing the same waters on a constant basis, pulling your plugs and putting them back in, is just kind of nuts," Schulz said, saying Game and Fish should "concentrate on the border and the Red River, and put your enforcement and efforts there. I mean, that's where the danger is." Power said manufacturers are making it easier to remove drain plugs on newer boats. Schulz wrote in his letter that hard rules are reasonable where invasive species exist, and boats coming from out of state should have severe restrictions. But he added that migratory birds and transporting 5 gallons of water "are far more likely to relocate invasive species than the bilge of my fishing boat." Game and Fish allows live baitfish and other legal live bait to be transported in water in containers of 5 gallons or less, except from the Red River, the only waters in North Dakota where zebra mussels have been found. Power said the department has no plans to expand that ban statewide, predicting there would be "tremendous pushback." "As a risk assessment, we don't think we're there, that there's any need for that yet," he said. The other two public comments were in favor of expanding the drain plug rule, with one saying it should have been enacted when nuisance species rules were first promulgated. A livewell drainage rule was instituted in 2010 in response to discovery of the first zebra mussel in state waters in the Red River near Wahpeton, which Game and Fish officials believe came from the Pelican Lake chain in Minnesota. North Dakota has about 80,000 registered watercraft. Power said the department just hired a new nuisance species coordinator and continues to discuss zebra mussels daily.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I already pull em. I did have a dnr officer want to check my boat. I told him I want to check yours and every mn tuckin fishing our nd lakes. He backed off and said ok go ahead and didnt ck me

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Before I leave the ramp/cleaning station area my plug is pulled (unscrewed), live well is drained/open, and both motors have been tipped down to drain. Big motor gets tipped back up for transit, everything else stays open/down.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The NDGF looks the other way by not taking easy over the posession limit tickets on highway 2, hwy 20 , and hwy 281 around the devils lake basin. They know full well what is going on. Now they implement new regulations to stop zebra mussels which is a good thing yet they dont share how they will enforce the new rules. What we have occuring in ND with the failure of leadership at the NDGF is very similar to politics at the state and federal level. A bunch of talk and no action. Laws and words on paper mean nothing without action.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a hard time remembering to pull the plug. Guess I'll have to put it on a check list.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not currently pulling my plug unless I take on some water but I think I can get used to it. With the boat I have now the plug can just hang out of the hole. My previous boat I would have to pull and put somewhere so I remembered to put it in when I get to the ramp and not forget because I am so excited to hit the water....like on the dash. I think if I had a plug that went in from the inside I would replace it with an external plug so it would be handier to get at.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
21877-369753.jpg

I use this kind of plug and when I go to strap the boat down with the boat buckles I run the hook through the ring on the plug then attach it to the transom eye. Havent forgot about it since I started doing this.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have it really easy, I have been to numerous other states where you have to go through a check point and wash down station no matter what in order to leave a boat ramp. They inspect you both ways, before you put the boat in and then coming off, not all have wash down stations though.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's a feel good rule. I have no trouble remembering to pull it, puting it back in is another story.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's a feel good rule. I have no trouble remembering to pull it, puting it back in is another story.

If you forget, the positive latent function is you find out if your automatic bilge float switch is working or not. Win/win?

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Truthfully, I have to wonder about those who would have a problem doing this simple act. ;:;banghead

Crankn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every year the first time out I try to sink my boat!:;:huh:;:howdyBut I do remember to remove it.

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remove the plug always, as an old family friend claimed not doing so is a good way to get floor rot. He said even if there is no water in the bottom, it acts like a vent of sorts and keeps humidity etc. out.

I have only once forgot to put the plug in, and thankfully on a ProV you can reach the hole from inside the boat, even with wave whackers on the back.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have pulled the plug for years. Somebody has to wash down the parking lot.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Problem is, I saw a guy at henegar landing in DL last summer pull his boat out of the water and up to the fish cleaning station to clean fish. The warden was there and hopped in his boat and gave him shit about water in his livewell. Not sure if he got a ticket or not, but apparently you are supposed to drain everything on the ramp? That just creates a bigger CF at the ramp, especially a busy ramp if everyone pulling the boat out is stopped on the ramp and draining boats/livewells etc. I know that there is a purpose for the rule, however enforcing it/interpreting it may end up pissing a lot of people off.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
My guess is that GNF has no illusions of 100% compliance or that they can effectively enforce it but I would bet 90% of us will comply without any enforcement at all. That will provide enough benefit to warrant it. And if they do catch a person or 2 and ticket them and word get's out, compliance would jump even higher.

I did see them checking boats as they were coming out of the Hazelton landing last week and heard they were there many days.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88