Sakakawea NWT

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curious as to why there is this perception that the "locals" don't have the HP or boats that can compete or run west. Must see something different than I do when on the water on the Mo or Sak.

I also see plenty of weekend warriors with the same/similar equipment as the pros as well. They probably just don't want to beat the snot out of their prized possession. Until somebody else is paying for most of my equipment, I am not going to have the same mentality as a pro that views his boat as a "tool" for one season. I must say that mentality would be kinda fun on a shiny new rig, though.;)

Tim Sandstrom

Founding Member
Founding Member
Two types of locals. Me. A guy with a 150. I know at least 5 without motors over 200 horse or without large enough gas tank. Then there is the locals who have the big stuff. But how many of these locals are locals to 110 mikes away? Not a lot. Most are East Enders or Mid Lakers. When I picture locals I picture those that are well versed in immediate area of boat launch.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
BTW, I am going with a pro @ 38.5lbs. I think Keith K and crew(Parsons) will do some damage with the shiver minnow in the smelt pods and breaks, but another will probably figure out a finesse bite and put the screws to 'em. Sprengel is probably due for a good showing.

Tim Sandstrom

Founding Member
Founding Member
But point is, the 'local bite' is very, very tough. Any advantage the 'immediate locals' have (the less than 50 Mile folks who are resident experts) really have no advantage. Hence I don't put too much favor on the local advantage with exception they may get more buddy buddy reports out west to put them on the spot on the spot.

Will find out Friday.

- - - Updated - - -

Not a lot finesse going on out west. Water temp is several degrees warmer than the other 80 miles of lake. Toss jigs with hair or plain jigs with bait or plastic in 2-6. Or trolling cranks from 2-16 ft. Kieth and boys been spending lots of time out west. Some rippin' might work to find that kicker fish.

I would consider finese on east end working breaks looking for resting mommas.

dakotaeye29

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what does a big Ranger, Nitro, Lund, Triton boat with a 300-350 get for fuel mileage and how big of tanks? That is a long run.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what does a big Ranger, Nitro, Lund, Triton boat with a 300-350 get for fuel mileage and how big of tanks? That is a long run.

Approx. 50-65 gallons @ 3 mpg plus getting around when you get there is a rough estimate for you.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, if they are running wide open the mileage is around 2mpg.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
floating-chevron-fuel-station-for-boats-in-coal-harbour-vancouver-BHNBHP.jpg
Indian Hills needs one of these

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
big runs are part of the game and weather can be a great equalizer and it puts equipment to the test run that hard
That's my whole point, they don't have to be. Manufacturers are just trying to force these monster motors and boats on us dummies that think we "need" it.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's my whole point, they don't have to be. Manufacturers are just trying to force these monster motors and boats on us dummies that think we "need" it.

well not for fun fishing you dont. This is like race cars when the lucas oil series late models come to aberdeen the locals wont be able to run with those guys unless they spend the 50000 on motors and tires. That is the draw to " pro" stuff they are doing some thing at a different level than the regular guys. I have no interest in what happens at the nd govenors cup but this draws interest from people all over just like on a average friday night the stands are not sold out in aberdeen when the lucas cars and Scott Bloomquest and boys show up it will be standing room only.

supermag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do agree for tournaments trying to attract local anglers that a boundary is a good equalizer. I think many would be more likely to fish AIM events if they had more restrictive boundaries. However, I think for a national pro series, such as NWT, it is part of the game and should remain as is. Running that far is still a gamble with no guarantees.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ft Stevenson AIM was won near the ramp last June. There were a few other finishers in the top 10 that were near in sight of the ramp. That one, you do not need a big fast boat. Pretty good fishing within a mile of start

Last edited:

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not that I care, wonder why the NWT hasn't come to the ND portion of Oahe yet? Seems like a much better destination than Sak if they were shooting for this time of year...

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Approx. 50-65 gallons @ 3 mpg plus getting around when you get there is a rough estimate for you.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, if they are running wide open the mileage is around 2mpg.

My 300 at WOT uses 28.9 gallons per hour. Just a hair over 2 mpg. I talked to some guys with the 350's and they say they're getting around 60-65mph at WOT and use around 35 gallons per hour. Less than 2mpg. Even backing off a bit you're still only going to get in the mid 2's, unless you slow down a lot. And if that's the case and you're running that far, you'll be cutting in to valuable fishing time.

If there's any marina's on the way, I wouldn't put it past some guys to have arranged to have staff at those marina's fill them up on the way there and possibly back. You're not allowed to leave your boat, but I'm not sure if the NWT allows filling while on the water if you stay in it. I know other tourneys do and we've done that in the past. Called them on the marine radio as we got close and there'd be someone down at the dock to fill you up.

Should be an interesting weigh in. I hope everyone has a great safe tourney and the fish God's send them to the scales with lots of fish!!!

Last edited:

Founding Member
Founding Member
The lilacs are blooming this week, it could be won anywhere on the lake with the weather we are having this week.
Things are changing day to day and fast, we're ahead by a week or two. Way west may seem like a good idea but almost 4 hours a day of not fishing driving back and forth is a big disadvantage as well.
Sure wish it was covered like the bass tourneys, going to be some interesting story lines for sure!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ft Stevenson AIM was won near the ramp last June. There were a few other finishers in the top 10 that were near in sight of the ramp. That one, you do not need a big fast boat. Pretty good fishing within a mile of start

Didn't the wind blow 30 out of the west that day? I know of one triton that got beat up bad and one ranger whose trolling motor landed between the seats.

Last edited:

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn't the wind blow 30 out of the west that day? I know of one triton that got beat up bad and one ranger whose trolling motor landed between the seats.

30 to 40 mph..there are some big fish very close by In that area. The wind forced a few guys to fish closer to the marina no doubt. I know of 3 boats that had damage. Crashed in windshield from spearing, kicker tearing loose and a smoked lower unit. Scariest day I have fished. One mistake and something's destroyed

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't imagine running my rig at WOT for 100 miles. With the wind down, I am sure somebody will do it.

v193

Founding Member
Founding Member
pretty sure both Indian Hills and White Earth are fill up sites. There are plenty of good local fisherman that can compete in this. I say 9 fish, 38 lbs. pitching jigs in shallow. White Earth west.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88