Salsa

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used to hate cilantro. No more. Love it in pico etc etc. I want to do some raised rail gardens like that lunk. Is there any concern w the creosote?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dirty, I hear yeah about the veggies not ripening at the same time. I pick my tomatoes just when they get some reddish color. The peppers get cut up and froze right away. Put the sliced peppers on a cookie sheet. Then once froze solid put into bag, that way you can take what you need.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used to hate cilantro. No more. Love it in pico etc etc. I want to do some raised rail gardens like that lunk. Is there any concern w the creosote?

Creosote is generally considered a big no no for vegetables. I have several raised beds all built out of old redwood and cedar decking. Supposedly the creosote migrates into the soil. Why chance it.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
attachmentphpattachmentid3253-1.jpg

While Im not SURE those are railroad ties around your garden, I figured I would post this information for anyone who might not know this....

From EPA website:
6. Are railroad ties safe for me to use for landscaping around my home?
There are no approved uses of creosote to treat wood for residential use. The Agency is aware that creosote-treated railroad ties are being used in the residential setting for landscape purposes and, in some instances, as a border around gardens. Such uses in residential settings are not intended uses of creosote and have not been considered in the preliminary risk assessment. If you do have creosote-treated wood in your yard, you are reminded to consult the handling precautions outlined above in this document.

"Every EPA site said the same thing about the main preservative in old railroad ties: "Creosote is a possible human carcinogen and has no registered residential use." So it's actually illegal to use old railroad ties in a home landscape."

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its like burning old tires if you have ever tried to burn a RR tie. Black smoke and stink like I would assume your avatar does.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
No I talked to my fried who works for a landscape business, you can use old railroad ties becuase the ties have been weathered enough ( no leaching) to be safe for raised gardens. My ties are old so because they were pulled from being too rotten.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
No I talked to my fried who works for a landscape business, you can use old railroad ties becuase the ties have been weathered enough ( no leaching) to be safe for raised gardens. My ties are old so because they were pulled from being too rotten.

Found a different opinion on another website:

Creosote, which is used to treat railroad ties, may cause injury or death to plants that come into direct contact with it. The effect diminishes after a few years. Old, discarded ties do not injure plants (Figure 4). However, ties that are still oozing black, sticky creosote or have an intense smell may cause injury.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The reason they are rotting away is because some of the creosote is not adequate to stop decay making them OK to use. My friend said if the ties were toxic nothing would grow. Also heavy minerals leach through soil to deeper layers. I mix new organics into my garden every year.

I didn't know the ties wouldn't be good for garden, thanks for the info Lycanthrope

Last edited:

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess I would rather use old railroad ties than new treated lumber. Effing EPA anyway. They probably have a new pamphlet that tells you not to use river water that is still flowing bright orange/yellow.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking to make fresh salsa but nothing is finishing at the same time.

Yeah the plants hardly ever seem to get on the same page. I used to grow over 100 tomato plants and chilies each. At some point something would synch. Was going to say if anyone is canning salsa, start cooking the tomatos as soon as you cut them, don't cut a bunch then heat. Pectin oxidizes quickly and will lead to a layor of water in the jar and thinner salasa if not heated quickly. Also, adding lemon or lime juice or vinegar is wise if only hot water bath canning, just to make sure the pH is low enough that the clostridium botulinum spores present cannot become active and start making toxin. Someone took tater salad to a church deal this winter back where lived in Ohio. The spuds where home canned incorrectly and a couple dozen who ate it became ill and one lady died from botulism.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
not to derail the thread - but is anyone eating their heirlooms yet? We're a few days away from finally getting the first to ripen. I have 3 lbs of bacon ready to go.

Finally had one ripe enough to eat yesterday, First time for heirlooms, They are very good compared to the other varieties but they sure were slow to ripen and not much to look at. Do yours get scabby looking ? This is a pic I pulled off the web to show the variety but mine had a lot of cracks and some got scabby from wasps biting into them I think . They had eaten their way into a couple earlier that I threw away. They were on the vine longer than any tomatoes I have tried.

PurpleCalabashTomatoweb-1.jpg

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will be selling my garden tiller, tomato cages, and other various garden tools and equipment, as the new home we purchased is not going to have a garden spot. The seasons of mrs johnr bent over in the vegetable garden just hit a finally. I would till and prepare the garden bed, she would do the planting and weeding, and has decided to give this hobby up.
It was a sad and tough decision, but in the end it was the right one. She is a very busy person, between work, some schooling, children, and our weekends entirely at the lake in the summer, and on nice evenings riding the motorcycle.
If any of you guys in the area are interested my garden tiller is like new, and I have a few decent garden items. Let me know.

I will still make my salsa, it will just now have farmers market vegetables instead of mrs johnr vegetables

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75