Salsa

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Finally had one ripe enough to eat yesterday, First time for heirlooms, They are very good compared to the other varieties but they sure were slow to ripen and not much to look at. Do yours get scabby looking ? This is a pic I pulled off the web to show the variety but mine had a lot of cracks and some got scabby from wasps biting into them I think . They had eaten their way into a couple earlier that I threw away. They were on the vine longer than any tomatoes I have tried.

we've been eating them for over a month now I think

yes - they are typically grotesque, cracked, large, misshapen. but they are absolutely delicious. one usually has to trim quite a bit of scars/crevices/BS off but it's worth it

right about now though they sort of just "stall out" and go into suspended animation ripening wise - and to me they start to taste just a shade musty as if they are breaking down internally - even though they look fine

so it seems to me you maybe got short-changed on the heirloom experience. :(

full sun and a hot location seems necessary for heirloom tomatoes for us in Fargo - while modern tomatoes seem fine in any semi-decent spot (heirlooms are dinosaurs I guess?)

next year we'll plant all our tomatoes up against a sunny brick wall on the south side of the garage if I have anything to do with it

don't forget to place the slices on a paper towel or dish towel after slicing so they can drain the excess juice. in our experience heirlooms are so juicy they'll quickly slop up your tasty BLT if one doesn't do juice management first

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone wants some habenero peppers either frozen or fresh I WILL GIVE AWAY way to hot for me and I have more than I will ever need. I wore gloves and had a little hole in the tip of my disposable glove and figured I was good to go since the last time I didn't use any and even though I washed my hands several time with dish soap and a brush till the point that my hands started to burn from over washing. The oil from the habenero pepper is crazy just a little on my finger tip and rub your eye in your sleep can really wake you up dramatically, so I am giving the rest away.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
This was a learning year for heirlooms , I thought I was doing them a favor by putting them in a shaded area but like you mentioned they need all the heat and sun they can get . I have one of those block walls you speak of and it's amazing the difference in growing conditions , These hills might look like molehills but there is a mountain of difference in growing conditions compared to 8 miles south on the prairie.

Lunker, those peppers sound good for those cold days while ice fishing, Could you make some pepper schnapps ? I stopped for a quick bite at Pizza Ranch one day and decided to have a slice of Pizza with my mashed potatoes . As soon as I took a bite I hit a "hot spot" I can take things pretty hot but this was the kind of hot like your talking about , I instantly teared up , Not to be outdone I swallowed it but it made my eyes water even worse , Can't imagine if a little tot or a very old person would have taken a bite .

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started growing heirloom tomatoes about five years ago. I was sceptical at first like many others. No doubt they are more difficult to raise than hybrids but they taste better than most hybrids. Have had good luck with pink varieties from northern Europe. The biggest obstacle seems to be the long growing season required for heirlooms. So this year I bought two grafted heirlooms from Jung Seeds. Not only were these tomatoes the first to ripen but they are still producing. Also my hybrid romas had quite the time with blight. The grafted heirlooms had no problems. Next spring I am planning on doing my own grafting.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lol so I brought a bag of habenero peppers to a guy who is working on one of my center line pipe projects. He is a big guy been in the Marines and said he loved eating hot stuff like peppers. I never seen a grown man tear up like that, he said those habenero peppers are way hotter then ones in the grocery store. Lol I wish he would of let me take a picture man that was funny

Gringo

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife makes simple salsa from tomatoes, a couple of serano peppers, a jalapeno, cilantro, half a yellow onion, three limes (juiced), and a little salt and pepper. She usually makes the tomatoes separate so she can make jars that vary in heat. I like it around medium... she likes the melt your brains out kind, so she'll add a habanero or two as well.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are real brave try ghost peppers. They make habaneros seem mild.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75