Salsa

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Few more

IMG_20150804_182436.jpgIMG_20150804_182529.jpgIMG_20150804_182353.jpg

Thanks Davy, I thought you were pulling my leg about the Bacon Bit Seeds, I also have some watermelons and cantaloupes. My cilantro never made it because of the early frost we had the week of memorial day.
Also I like that my garden is off the ground so little critters can't get to them so far.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have a green thumb Lunker. We live in a terrible climate for mellons , I lost all my melons and other transplants to the late storm. They survived a day of 17 degrees in a small greenhouse and were doing so good , The next night my heater quit and wiped me out.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have a green thumb Lunker. We live in a terrible climate for mellons , I lost all my melons and other transplants to the late storm. They survived a day of 17 degrees in a small greenhouse and were doing so good , The next night my heater quit and wiped me out.
Thanks Davy, This is my first garden on my own, last year my missus decided she was going to plant the garden and I let her, huge mistake all she can grow is weeds. LOL I use animal waste in the fall and some in the spring. It is not too bad for smell because where I get it from. The pile is in different stages of compost so the stuff I get hardly has any smell . I also was able to get my hands on some soil that was dug out in a center line pipe on a job where the soil was never touched since the road was put in place. You would not believe me but the soil was sterile with no weeds grew in my garden- crazy.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cant go wrong with a fresh pico de galllo (just google and can find many great recipes, adjust to taste - cilantro is key!). If your looking for canning, ill look up the recipe we have made the last few years. Turned out real good.

sparetire

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Davy, I thought you were pulling my leg about the Bacon Bit Seeds, I also have some watermelons and cantaloupes. My cilantro never made it because of the early frost we had the week of memorial day.
Also I like that my garden is off the ground so little critters can't get to them so far.

Am I the only one around here who wishes this would be the fate of the world's cilantro reserves?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes sir that's what I want to do is can some salsa, I am not a big fan of crunchy salsa.
Cant go wrong with a fresh pico de galllo (just google and can find many great recipes, adjust to taste - cilantro is key!). If your looking for canning, ill look up the recipe we have made the last few years. Turned out real good.

sourisshorebound

Founding Member
Founding Member
heres one I found from last year that I remember was one of my favorites..

gmas mango jalapeno

1 1/2 cups fresh mango cubed small
1 half of a red or yellow bell pepper seeds removed chopped.
5 large tomatoes chopped
1/4 cup chopped onion greens
1/4 cup chopped onion (the white part)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped.
1 large jalapeno chopped very finely

take all these ingredients and mix once in a large bowl do not blend yet,

add

1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp sugar or honey
1/2 tsp red chili flakes
1/2 tsp black pepper powder
1 tbsp Salt

mix all the ingredients again, first blend if you want a thin consistency then put into a jar or jars with a lid, put in a jar without blending if you would like thicker salsa.

put in the fridge and let sit 24 hours for flavors to settle.

Serve and enjoy :)

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you Google recipies for canning salsa there are lots of published guides for canning. It would be a good idea to download and print one of those. Better to be safe than sorry. Acidity is a big issue with canning as growers have developed tomatoes that are lower in acid.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just showered in the lake. #notsober

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just ordered a double order of bacon and macncheese for breakfast.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
i grew up calling it 'salzah' (thanks to my mothers pronunciation)

i now call it salsa and when she says 'salzah' i say "what are you talking about?"

she doesnt find me nearly as funny as i do

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found some seranos that were ready for picking. Sliced one up to give it the taste test. I should have checked how much milk we had in the refrigerator. Good heavens are these things spicy.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84