SB 2315 - In Cmte 3/14 - ACTION REQUIRED!

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like that he offered to have a call with you, that is the type of elected official I can respect. My rep (Merrill Piepkorn) is similar and even though he's a dem I will be voting for him next election.

I hope Richter is reading it correctly because that does not sound bad if this is only for criminal trespass and not hunting.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I hope one of you can tell me just what is getting voted on as I assume one would know that before voting. And it does not take effect until next year?

For me at my age and a bow hunter except for I do apply for a mule deer rifle permit, I am not sure just how all land close will affect me on hunting on land I now have permission to post or public land. In fact if it does cut down on hunters I assume it really would be to my benefit but for the good of all it is not what we want. Not sure how I would of hunted in my younger days but a lot different that what I did. So can someone say for sure just what it is being voted on? db

Watchyourownbobber

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are we really to the point where even the reps that are voting on this bill do not fully comprehend it? That truly is sad! I have also sent emails but unfortunately it feels like we are losing ground on this being voted down. Makes me sick to my stomach knowing i have two kids ages 16 and 10 as well as a wife who has recently gotten into the sport that will likely have already seen the better days of hunting in ND passed them by.

A quick question/scenario for those abusing the "its not that hard to ask for permission" argument....last year when we went 0-3 drawing tags in our "home" area we decided to apply and were successful in drawing 3 left over anterless tags for a unit that is 300 miles from where we live. I did this for no reason other than to keep my 16 year old engaged in the sport as he had his state wide tag in 2017 (bagged a very average mule deer buck and fell in love with hunting deer) and also to get the wife out and enjoy it with us and hopefully have a chance at harvesting her first big game. we rented a hotel room for 4 nights and spent the entire time driving/walking/exploring the outdoors, and meeting people in cafes, on the roads, in convenience stores etc...we spent north of 1000 dollars into that little towns economy and came home empty handed but had a great time and experience with every intention on doing it again while waiting the 4-5 years in between drawing in our preferred unit. Sorry for the novel but here is my question:

How do you suggest I "do my homework" and "spend time knocking on doors" and "being prepared for the season" And "its not that hard to ask" etc... while not knowing until after the lottery if and where we will be hoping to hunt?

Also, as a kicker we were down south in a unit that even onyx maps has no information. After two days of searching i finally found a plat book that was helpful but far from making it "easy".

Honestly looking for answers, opinion and advice, not trying to disturb the bees nest.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is still a 3 category system that is mandatory for landowners to participate in. F'in Bullshit.

Did you hear that? The state MANDATING landowners to take place in this public database. Thats INSANE. talk about property rights?! Give me a break.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've often wondered that, too. I guess if I didn't dog train or go fishing or take my family camping and spent all summer knocking on doors, I could afford to do it.

So many people say "offer to help a farmer over the summer!" Do they really want a 30-something desk jockey who's greatest battle every day is onset carpel tunnel to "lend a hand" on a farm?? My guess is I'd be more of a hazard then a help.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I contacted my reps: Dever, Meier and Heinert (Bismarck district 32) and all replied that they are opposed to the bill.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
It appears once the county is in the "database" all land in said county are off limits to access unless permission is first received to enter. So eventually the state of ND will be posted....just as they planned. Sneaky F*&^%$rs

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
can you link me that? He called me and talked for about twenty minutes. He is really trying to sell this as no loss whatsoever for hunters. Says as the bill sits now (version 9), everything is open to hunters unless posted. Everything is closed to criminal trespass. I asked him how they differentiate a criminal with a gun and hunting license that says he is hunting vs a real hunter. He said a criminal with a gun and hunting license that says he is a hunter is a hunter lol. Then he says there is the committee that has landowners group members and sportsmen's group members that will be getting together and by 2020 have to have things ironed out regarding the apps. If they can't iron out their differences and come to terms on this then everything is going to be closed to everything unless posted differently on an app. So I said gee, how convenient. The landowners want exactly that and all they have to do is stonewall to get it lol. He agreed that is a likely scenario. And he said the state is not going to fund the app or it's implementation. I asked who is then. He said nobody lol. WTF

Here you go. Page 7, Line 18 to 20 is key. "No person may hunt or pursue game or enter for those purposes upon privately owned land belonging to another without first obtaining permission of the person legally entitled to grant the same."

They took out "legally posted" and inserted "privately owned". Every thing is considered posted, is now the default with 2315.

- - - Updated - - -

Talk about gutless legislators, the Ag Committee members who voted for this bill would not respond that they did so, only the 3 who voted against it replied. Nor would they say who amended 2315 to make the default No Trespass on all private land. So much for open government. Spineless when a legislator can't have the courage to admit how he voted.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is my letter to Richter and it prompted a very quick call back. And I have his cell number and he urged to call whenever I had concerns after more changes will no doubt be made. At least he is talking to me.

I cannot believe this horse crap bill made it out of committee. What an insult to the sportsmen and small business owners in ND. Here are the pitfalls of this bill whether you want to believe them or not.

1. The game and fish is going to loose a very large chunk of money due to far less licenses sold. You better be prepared to fund them with the general fund.

2. The relationship between sportsmen and landowners will become horrendous and un-repairable.

3. Road hunting will skyrocket.

4. ND has far less public land than any of the surrounding states. The increased hunting pressure on what little public land there is will be enormous.

5. Opportunities for hunters is going to plummet. Therefore fewer and fewer will choose to hunt each and every year. Maybe that's your goal but I can't imagine that. I'm probably wrong.

6. This bill will not solve any of the concerns of landowners currently. All this bill does is prevent landowners from having to stick signs in the ground. And quite frankly that's what this bill is really all about.

7. Main street in small towns will suffer greatly from the reduced money spent from hunting.

8. The goose population will explode causing numerous biological and environmental issues in their breeding and wintering grounds.

9. Sales of hunting equipment will plummet in the state of ND

10. Vandalism will no doubt increase for landowners at least in the short term.

11. Poaching will definitely increase

12. The number of predators will greatly increase causing far more issues for ranchers

13. The deer herd will increase greatly causing far more depredation and you will have a game and fish with little to no money to compensate ranchers for the depredation.

14. Citizens will no longer be able to ride horseback throughout the country without first tracking down a landowner, which one will have no idea whom they are.

This is the worst bill that has ever been brought forth in our legislature. Nothing has given the citizens of ND the middle finger more than this bill. I cannot fathom legislators catering to special interest to the detriment of the rest of the citizens of ND at quite this level. One thing is certain, the campaign against any legislator voting for this bill, by a very large segment of North Dakotan's, should not be underestimated. It will be unrelenting. In fact I would almost guarantee an initiated measure eliminating this and forever putting an end to it's possiblity, in the next election. This one isn't going to slide by and be forgotten I can assure you.

- - - Updated - - -

Here you go. Page 7, Line 18 to 20 is key. "No person may hunt or pursue game or enter for those purposes upon privately owned land belonging to another without first obtaining permission of the person legally entitled to grant the same."

They took out "legally posted" and inserted "privately owned". Every thing is considered posted, is now the default with 2315.

- - - Updated - - -

Talk about gutless legislators, the Ag Committee members who voted for this bill would not respond that they did so, only the 3 who voted against it replied. Nor would they say who amended 2315 to make the default No Trespass on all private land. So much for open government. Spineless when a legislator can't have the courage to admit how he voted.
I think you're looking at an older bill or something. The current one, that I linked, doesn't even appear to have a page 7

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
here is the latest version. Most of what you mentioned has been removed. Actually what he told me is correct if you read down through the bill. Still many areas of concern however. https://legiscan.com/ND/text/2315/2019

I could be wrong but that version above is the one that came out of the Senate before it was amended in the House Ag. Ask your rep for the version of 2315 that came out of the Ag Committee. I'll try too.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I could be wrong but that version above is the one that came out of the Senate before it was amended in the House Ag. Ask your rep for the version of 2315 that came out of the Ag Committee. I'll try too.
I got this off the legislative website. It's obviously been through the ringer with all the shit that's crossed out. But I can't be certain. Do you have a link of the one out of the ag committee?

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a locked pdf (&@#(^$%) that I can't copy, but I will have one pretty damn quick. The old one from the Senate is 6 pages, the one from the House is 12.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a locked pdf (&@#(^$%) that I can't copy, but I will have one pretty damn quick. The old one from the Senate is 6 pages, the one from the House is 12.
He is referencing the senate version because he is in the Senate.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Senate version was hoghoused and completely rewritten. This should be what came out of the House Ag Committee. The poison pill is the No Trespass default for the sunset clauses.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nL...GD1GQQdreWjWCHbnLF6iTpkAhgAP9nb9DlFHP-cx1uWWM

Page 7, lines 14-24
It appears to be they don't give the same right to trapping as they do hunting for whatever reason. That's a shit bag deal. They also appear to be removing the right to retrieve game on posted land permission or not. Currently one can retrieve game on posted land if you don't take a weapon with. So that will go bye bye.

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
I contacted my reps: Dever, Meier and Heinert (Bismarck district 32) and all replied that they are opposed to the bill.

Dockter and Becker (my Reps in Bismarck) could learn from them. I’ve emailed them both on a handful of bills and neither has ever replied. In addition to stating I am a constituent in their district I have included my name, address, and phone number each time. I’d be hard pressed to ever vote for them again.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
the problem with so many of these reps is they win by such big margins that they don't feel they can be beaten.

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dockter and Becker (my Reps in Bismarck) could learn from them. I’ve emailed them both on a handful of bills and neither has ever replied. In addition to stating I am a constituent in their district I have included my name, address, and phone number each time. I’d be hard pressed to ever vote for them again.

I have the same reps and emailed them. No word back from Becker, but Dockter wrote back within minutes and his reply was "I'm going to wait to see all the amendments before I make a decision".

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
It appears to be they don't give the same right to trapping as they do hunting for whatever reason. That's a shit bag deal. They also appear to be removing the right to retrieve game on posted land permission or not. Currently one can retrieve game on posted land if you don't take a weapon with. So that will go bye bye.

I was reading the link you provided and it looks like they didn't change that? page 7 lines 28-29 it says a person may enter private land to recover game from land that they could rightfully hunt?? but I honestly do not even know what amended version is getting voted on>

- - - Updated - - -

or when the vote is??

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 57
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26