scheels or cabelas credit card

CWS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Which do you prefer? I have a scheels card because that where i usually shop because its close. But cabelas is easier to shop online. With the Scheels card you get a $25 gift card if you hit so many points, which is nice but not great. Had a friend who used hus cabelas card for basically everying and payed the balance and the end of the month which got him a lot of points. Which is better for the buyer?

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Neither give you the best rewards. I have a scheels card but only use it at scheels now. Purchases at scheels you get 3% back but anywhere else you only get 1%. There are a lot of cash back cards out there that will pay more.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use an amazon card and basically pay my balance every week or two. It opens up a whole world of loot you can earn points for. I usually use mine for most things and it will basically get you a few free things throughout the year. Actually I am one of those lazy shoppers who gives gift cards for Christmas, with all the choices on amazon it's pretty close to cash. Using the points I just got all the gifts I needed plus a couple fresh blades for my augers a spool of line and a tub of 250 live wax worms all on points. It's like free Christmas all done in less than 5 min!

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Cabela's card which is especially nice since there is a Cabela's in town, but I spent all my points for Christmas in anticipation of a Bass Pro Shops takeover of Cabela's in January.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
cabelas partnered with cenex and you get 2% back on all cabelas and cenex purchases. I commute daily to work ( get mileage paid) but use my cabelas card at any of the cenex locations along my commute. pretty much all cenex in ND participate as I frequent them 2x week. I do what others say is use card for everything pay it off at end of month.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have both, and use my Scheels card for 99% of everything I purchase. I use it as a business card and put all my expenses on it, my company reimburses a portion of my monthly expenses, and I get the points. I would guess I average close to $75 a month in gift cards, sometimes only $25, sometimes $100 in a month. This year it was $800, buys some nice stuff for essential free.
My Cabela's card I picked up this summer when I was in east Grand Forks, the lady asked if I want to open an account and get 40% of my shopping bill, so I did. I haven't really used it since, not sure on the point system/payback system they have.

I am thinking one of the amazon cards might be a good idea.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
there probably is cards with better rewards like others have said. I think citi has a card where you get paid and 1% on purchases and 1% when you pay it off so basically 2% on everything. which is essentially what I get out of my cabelas card with the cenex partnership.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have both Cabelas and Scheels…really only use the Scheels card for Scheels purchases…Cabelas is the main credit card.

Scheels you get a $25 gift card for every $2500 you spend…Cabelas you earn points as you go…I always have a cabelas points balance but I don’t always have a scheels gift card…

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Cabelas card and like it. The trick with Cabelas is patience though. Find what you want and wait for it to go on sale. It usually does at some point.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
cash back is preferrable. but, i've found that when i get cash back, it just goes into the checking account and i see very little of it. when i use my scheels card, i know i will be the one to get the rewards and its not gonna go towards a box of cereal i will never eat.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
that's the secret. give your wife the 2nd card (as long as you can manage to pay it off monthly) cuz interest charges will pretty much negate any rewards, points, whatever you wanna call em. and then use the scheels, cabelas etc card for that new 'toy" you want. I have a brother loves his scheels card, I like the cenex gas perk so use cabelas.

tanishqjain

[FONT=&quot]This would be a good card to have on hand for emergency or last minute needs when picnicking, camping or traveling.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For example, if you needed to replace a broken fishing pole, buy fuel for your camp-stove or pick up a good pair of hiking shoes unexpectedly, the Scheels card would be a great resource.[/FONT]

- - - Updated - - -

[FONT=&quot]The Scheels Platinum Visa credit card can be a valuable financial tool when used with restraint and paid off promptly. Having an account in good standing with Scheels can be beneficial for your overall credit rating.[/FONT]

- - - Updated - - -

[FONT=&quot]The customer service is good, and the website offers lots of valuable resources to help improve your financial skills if you so desire. The card is handy and convenient for shopping at Scheels brick and mortar stores and online, but it is probably not your best choice for general shopping needs.[/FONT]

- - - Updated - - -

[h=3]Scheels Visa Special Features[/h][FONT=&quot]
  • The company is very supportive of people working to establish or improve their credit rating. The Scheel's Visa website provides quite a bit of good advice and solid resources for people attempting to establish or rebuild credit. The Smart Credit Management page provides links to articles filled with good, solid money and credit management information.
  • You will earn 3 bonus points per dollar for Scheels purchases and 1 point per dollar for general purchases.
  • You will receive a $25 gift card in the mail whenever you have accumulated 2500 bonus points
  • You will receive 1500 bonus points (worth $15.00) with your first general purchase.
[/FONT]

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
cash back is preferrable. but, i've found that when i get cash back, it just goes into the checking account and i see very little of it. when i use my scheels card, i know i will be the one to get the rewards and its not gonna go towards a box of cereal i will never eat.

i used to have the same plan until my wife opened up a Scheels envelope one day and found a $100 Scheels card, of course she kept it for herself. She gets home before I do and now she grabs the mail which has put a damper on my new gun purchases.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
i used to have the same plan until my wife opened up a Scheels envelope one day and found a $100 Scheels card, of course she kept it for herself. She gets home before I do and now she grabs the mail which has put a damper on my new gun purchases.
You need to reign in that bad behavior Obi. Unacceptable.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scheels card.

If you put everything on that card and spend $25,000 in a year, then you get 1.5% back on ALL purchases, plus 5% on all Scheels purchases.

If you are a Sam's club member and get that card, they give you 5% back on gas which is nice. You might not have even have to be a member for that.

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmm I'd go with neither. No one has ever become wealthy using credit cards for points. I used to think what a great deal it was getting a couple hundred back every year and saving up to buy a gun or whatever. We always paid off credit cards every month but it definitely leads to more spending having them. We started following the Dave Ramsey plan and just use debit cards for everything and budget each month. It is a lot more effective and now if I want a gun I just go buy it.

Food for thought.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
This would be a good card to have on hand for emergency or last minute needs when picnicking, camping or traveling.
For example, if you needed to replace a broken fishing pole, buy fuel for your camp-stove or pick up a good pair of hiking shoes unexpectedly, the Scheels card would be a great resource.

- - - Updated - - -

The Scheels Platinum Visa credit card can be a valuable financial tool when used with restraint and paid off promptly. Having an account in good standing with Scheels can be beneficial for your overall credit rating.

- - - Updated - - -

The customer service is good, and the website offers lots of valuable resources to help improve your financial skills if you so desire. The card is handy and convenient for shopping at Scheels brick and mortar stores and online, but it is probably not your best choice for general shopping needs.

- - - Updated - - -

Scheels Visa Special Features

• The company is very supportive of people working to establish or improve their credit rating. The Scheel's Visa website provides quite a bit of good advice and solid resources for people attempting to establish or rebuild credit. The Smart Credit Management page provides links to articles filled with good, solid money and credit management information.
  • You will earn 3 bonus points per dollar for Scheels purchases and 1 point per dollar for general purchases.
  • You will receive a $25 gift card in the mail whenever you have accumulated 2500 bonus points
  • You will receive 1500 bonus points (worth $15.00) with your first general purchase.

Hello Mr. Scheels Rep. Thanks for joining. 1% back outside of scheels is garbage. Even the Cabela’s card is better than that and offers you 2% on gas purchases at most cenex stations and a fair amount of other retailers. There’s better cards out there than either of these tho which is why I don’t have a scheels card.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
why would you use a Scheels card when the credit card company they use is major league anti-gun.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hmm I'd go with neither. No one has ever become wealthy using credit cards for points. I used to think what a great deal it was getting a couple hundred back every year and saving up to buy a gun or whatever. We always paid off credit cards every month but it definitely leads to more spending having them. We started following the Dave Ramsey plan and just use debit cards for everything and budget each month. It is a lot more effective and now if I want a gun I just go buy it.

Food for thought.

According to my wife Dave wouldn't approve to a new gun purchase...just saying...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 158
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 65
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45